Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
aconnolly

NZEF diaries

aconnolly

I've got copies of the NA-held diaries of Auckland 1,2,3 infantry reg, same for Otago, with 1 & 2 Canturbury infantry and 1 Wellington coming. Happy to check for any one with a question. Also very small amount of Auckland Infantry Gallipoli and Otago Mounted Rifles Gallipoli.

Andrew

DaveBrigg

Thanks for the offer. I've been trying to find out about the following:

SYMONDS Percy Browne Private 5/150 2nd Bn Otago Regt., N.Z.E.F. Died 12-Dec-17 age 36. Fourth child of Barker and Fanny (Draper, Grocer and Spirit merchant) 1901 living at 21 Market Place, Brigg, Lincolnshire, England. Buried at Menin Road South Military Cemetery, Ypres.

After several trawls through the net I have been unable to find any detail about personnel in NZ regiments, so anything you can add very gratefully received.

Dave

aconnolly

Dave

Your man is listed as Died of Wounds in the NZEF Roll of Honour. Therefore I cannot be certain when he was wounded, however, the War Diary shows the days preceding 12 December 1917 were pretty quiet. This was not the case for the 1st Battalion of the Otagos who were in the thick of it.

2 Otago were in the Polderhoek Chateau area, initially in reserve.

Quote War Diary 2 Otago 12 December 1917 “While the rations were being delivered at Wattle Dump at 5am the enemy put over about 20 5.9’s which caused casualties amounting to four killed and 8 wounded. Three Company QMS’s were casualties, one being killed and two wounded. Three mules killed and three wounded. Interchange of companies in front and support lines was carried out without casualties during day-light.”

May well be that he was hit that morning. I am afraid the official history of the Otago Regiment merely states the same as the diary.

I don't have casualty returns listing names. If anything else comes up, I'll let you know.

Andrew

John_Hartley

Andrew

Would greatly appreciate a look-up for 2/Auckland for 30 August 1918, when I understand my researchee, Sgt S Willshaw, received the wounds from which he died on 6 September.

Am I right in thinking that 1/Wellington was part of the original Gallipoli landings? If so, I'd appreciate a look-up (when it arrives) for any mention in the first few days for any specific mention of the machine gun section. I'm looking for a Pte A H Preston who commissioned a a 2nd Lt within days of landing (on 5/5/15). His service reocrd seems a little unclear if he was with 1/Wellington or 2/Wellington at the time. I'd also be interested in the extract from 16 August 15 when he was reported to have been wounded.

After recovery Preston was transferred to 5 Coy, NZ Machine Gun Corps and was killed with them on 7 June 17. I know you havnt got the diary for this but if you or anyone else has info about this day I'd appreciate it. Also any mention of his actions around July 1916 for which he was awarded the MC (I have the citation)

Thanks in advance

John

christine liava'a

Surname SYMONDS

Given Name Percy Browne

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 5/150

Rank Driver

Body or Draft Second

Unit or Regiment Army Service Corps

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Stonehurst Auckland

Next of Kin Title Mrs Fanny S

Next of Kin Surname SYMONDS

Next of Kin Address Kelby Brocklesby Lincolnshire England

Surname WILLSHAW

Given Name Sydney

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 2

Regimental Number 12/4554

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title W

Next of Kin Surname WILLSHAW

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address High Lane near Stockport Cheshire England

Roll 28

Page 7

Occupation Labourer

Surname PRESTON

Given Name Allan Henry

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 10/910

Rank Private

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Wellington Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Makauri Gisborne

Next of Kin Title James W

Next of Kin Surname PRESTON

Next of Kin Address Westbourne Devonport Stockport England

John_Hartley

Christine

Thank you. You'd actually given me this info some bit ago in another thread. It prompted me to make contact with someone in Gisborne and, by a fairly roundabout route, I've received confirmation that Preston is commemorated on the town memorial. Willshaw also lived in Gisborne but isnt on the memorial (I don't think he's been in NZ for too long)

John

aconnolly

John

3 pages of War Diary for 30 August 1918 - can you PM me your e-mail address and I'll send on.

I'll get back to you regarding any more on Preston when the Wellington arrives. #10/910. Attested 14/8/14, commissioned 2/Lt 5/5/15, full Lt 5/11/16. MC and MID.

The "Wellington Regiment" served on Gallipoli; it was only with the formation of the NZ Division in early 1916 for the Western Front that the original 4 infantry regiments (AK, Well, Canterbury, Otago) were "reformed" with the aid of new recruits to each have 1st and 2nd battalions. Ultimately a 3rd battalion was also formed for each infantry regiment. Therefore on Gallipoli, Preston was simply "Wellington Infantry Regiment".

Preston is mentioned in the official history of the Machine Gun Corps (pg 70) regarding the circumstances of his death 7 June 1917, Messines. ".. Major Hardie forced to go back to a dressing station...handed over command of No. 1 group to Lt A H Preston. At midday, Lt Preston was killed, the Corps thereby losing one of its bravest officers, one who had served since the landing at Gallipoli, who had won his his commission in the field for gallentry and who for his distinguished conduct during the battle of the Somme had been awarded a Military Cross."

Regarding the Somme, pg 56 same history: (30th Sept. 1916) "Lt Preston (2nd Company) secured a good target in the early morning of the 30th, when a sudden clearing of the mist revealed an enemy party of 2 officers and 20 men a short distance away. Preston ordered his 2 guns to open a point blank range. This party was completely wiped out , except 2 men who succeeded in reaching dead ground."

Further long reference on pg 41-42 regarding Somme & Preston. Can scan and e-mail if you like.

Can't see obvious ref to him in the Wellington history, but a lack of an index doesn't help!

Regards

Andrew

CROONAERT

Andrew.

When you get it, could you email me , or post on here a scan of the diary of 1/Canterbury Regiment for the period covering 5th November 1918, please?

I'm researching Pte.A.H.Hemsley who was KIA this day, and this extract would be a great bonus for me. I've got Capt.Ferguson's regimental history, but I'd like to see what the diary has to say.

many thanks,

Dave.

aconnolly

Will do.

Andrew

John_Hartley

Andrew

Much appreciated. PM on its way to you with my email address and, yes please, I'd like the diary extract and Preston stuff on pages 41-42

John

DaveBrigg

Andrew and Christine - many thanks.

"While the rations were being delivered at Wattle Dump at 5am the enemy put over about 20 5.9’s which caused casualties amounting to four killed and 8 wounded. Three Company QMS’s were casualties, one being killed and two wounded. Three mules killed and three wounded"

seems to tie in perfectly with

"Rank: Driver

Unit or Regiment: Army Service Corps"

Isn't it great when it all seems to fit.

Does anyone know now how to find out when he arrived in New Zealand??

Many thanks

Dave

aconnolly

Dave

I have found the genealogy society has some pretty useful stuff including shipping data etc. May take time, but possible your best short. Alternatively, try the army - maybe his registration papers have something? Can find that via the NZEF link at bottom.

Regards

Andrew

http://www.genealogy.org.nz/

DaveBrigg

Hey - you're Good! Thanks for that, I'll get on to it

Dave

christine liava'a

Probate Record

Symonds Percy Browne

place Stonehurst

occupation farmer

court Wellington

archives reference AAOM 6029 25964

probate number 25964

filed date 28 May 1919

further enquiries to Archives NZ Wellington

Archives NZ

Head Office, Wellington

10 Mulgrave Street, Thorndon, Wellington, New Zealand

PO Box 12-050, Wellington, New Zealand

Phone: (64-4) 499 5595

Fax: (64-4) 495 6210

E-mail: reference@archives.govt.nz

DaveBrigg

Many thanks Christine, that was above and beyond the call of duty. I'll get in touch with the archives. Looking through the details for this man again, everything seems to fit perfectly except his unit. The CWGC record lists 2nd Otago regt, whose war diary records the attack, but your source identifies him as being in the Army Service Corps. Does anyone know if he could be in both at the same time? If not, which record is likely to be most accurate? A local (English) paper lists him as 'driver' too, so I think I can be sure of what he was doing at the time, if not the cap badge he was wearing.

Eternally grateful for your help

Dave

christine liava'a

A H Hemsley;

Surname HEMSLEY

Given Name Albert Henry

Category First Reserves

Last NZ Address Te Puke

Occupation Share Milker

Recruiting District Bay of Plenty

Surname HEMSLEY

Given Name Albert Henry

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 62309

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs J R

Next of Kin Surname HEMSLEY

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address C/- Mrs J R Lawson Kensington Avenue Mount Eden

Auckland

Roll 72

Page 11

Occupation Farmer

Albert Henry Hemsley married Jean Ramsey Lawson 1916, reg no 3037

Jean Ramsey Hemsley died Auckland 1964, widow.probate ref available if interested

Bryn

Quote:

The "Wellington Regiment" served on Gallipoli; ... Therefore on Gallipoli, Preston was simply "Wellington Infantry Regiment".

End Quote.

On Gallipoli, it was known as the "Wellington Infantry Battalion". Each Infantry Battalion (Auckland, Wellington, Canterbury and Otago) was made up of four companies of 250 men from each of the Territorial regiments. Each company took its identification from the Territorial regiment from which it was drawn.

The infantry battalions reverted to "regiments" after Gallipoli.

Guest Alexander Library

Andrew

We hold both the Company Diary of the Wellington West Coast Company (covering the period from August 1914 to April 1915, then June 1915 to December 1917) and the Regimental Diary of the Wellington Regiment (covering the period from August 1914 to September 1916) in the Lovegrove Papers archive collection at Wanganui Library.

We are posting entries from both diaries on our World War One diary blog at: The Road to Chunuk Bair

We hope to have transcriptions of both of the diaries completed soon and we would be happy to check the diaries for information if anyone needs help.

Regards

Gillian

Adam Llewellyn

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for this kind offer, if at all possible I would appreciate the diary entries on the days that the following men were killed in action.

25209 Pte Albert Dexter 2nd Battalion Auckland Regiment kia 27.03.1918.

42397 Pte Alexander Reid A Company 1st Battalion Auckland Regiment kia 04.10.1917.

10/2866 Pte William Bosworth 1st Battalion Wellington Regiment kia 27.09.1916.

Hello Gillian,

And welcome to the forum, would you have anything on this man?

10/1398A Pte Clarence Arguile 3rd Battalion Wellington Regiment kia 08.08.1915 on Chunk Biar.

Does anyone have any Battalion diaries for the New Zealand Rifle Brigade?

I do have records for all the men above, but would like the diary entries to go with them.

Best regards to you both.

Llew.

Guest Alexander Library
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for this kind offer, if at all possible I would appreciate the diary entries on the days that the following men were killed in action.

25209 Pte Albert Dexter 2nd Battalion Auckland Regiment kia 27.03.1918.

42397 Pte Alexander Reid A Company 1st Battalion Auckland Regiment kia 04.10.1917.

10/2866 Pte William Bosworth 1st Battalion Wellington Regiment kia 27.09.1916.

Hello Gillian,

And welcome to the forum, would you have anything on this man?

10/1398A Pte Clarence Arguile 3rd Battalion Wellington Regiment kia 08.08.1915 on Chunk Biar.

Does anyone have any Battalion diaries for the New Zealand Rifle Brigade?

I do have records for all the men above, but would like the diary entries to go with them.

Best regards to you both.

Llew.

Hi Llew

Thanks for the welcome!

The Wellington West Coast Company diary mentions only the officers killed and wounded on 08.08.1915 but includes the following entry for 09.08.1915 with the sobering statistics for Wellington West Coast Company:

"The Coy. which returned under Lieut. McKinnon comprised 3 NCOs & 15 men.

Casualty list:

Killed 2 officers, 16 men

Wounded 2 officers, 47 men

Missing 74 men".

The Regimental Diary of the Wellington Regiment that we hold also only names the officers killed and wounded and records the following:

"Killed 102

Wounded 301

Missing 288

Total 691".

I checked the Wellington West Coast Company Diary for 27.09.1916, which has the following entries:

"26th Sept. Still in Reserve.

27th Sept. The 1st Brigade made an advance to FACTORY CORNER & GOOSE TRENCH past the corner.

28th Sept. We moved up and relieved the 1st Brigade W.W.C. Coy took over Right of Support line at Factory Corner from 1st Canterbury. We were subject to heavy bombardment going in and one shell wounded Chaplain Cpt Cruickshank, Lt. Moreson & 2nd Lt Williams & 10 O.Rs.".

I hope these entries are of use to you.

Kind regards

Gillian

Adam Llewellyn

Gillian,

Thanks for the information, it all helps. As you can see from this extract from Clarence's records, he would have been one of the missing.

He was reported missing on 8 August 1915 on Chunuk Bair during the August offensive. Proceedings of a Court of Enquiry held at Moascar Camp, Ismailia on 16 January 1916 found that he had been killed in action.

He was 23 years old and his active service gratuity and war medals went to his father Joseph who was living at 14 Albion St Anstey, Leicestershire England.

From William's records,

William was killed in an attack made by the 1st Battalion Wellington Infantry Regiment that took place at 4 am on 27 September 1916 from Goose Alley to tidy up an area between Abbaye Road and Flers Support. William was one of two officers and 96 other ranks that were killed in this operation. The Wellington Regiment NZEF 1914 – 1919 by W H Cunningham, C A L Treadwell and J S Hanna pages 122 ff describes this operation. Interestingly a tank was to have been used in this operation but it didn’t arrive in time to participate! The New Zealand Division had been engaged continuously from 15 September to 3 October in the now famous battle of the Somme. Sadly William Bosworth like a great many others didn’t survive it.

Best Regards. Llew.

green_acorn

I've got copies of the NA-held diaries of Auckland 1,2,3 infantry reg, same for Otago, with 1 & 2 Canturbury infantry and 1 Wellington coming. Happy to check for any one with a question. Also very small amount of Auckland Infantry Gallipoli and Otago Mounted Rifles Gallipoli.

Andrew

Andrew,

Would you have anything on the operations of B Coy, 1st Bn, the Wellington Regiment on 16 September 1916? A friend is travelling from Australia mid Augusat to visit the Caterpillar Cemetery memorial with his English brother. Their Great Uncle is commemorated there and I hoped to give my mate a copy of the maps and a short summary of events of the battle area on that day. Grid referneces would be great if that is possible.

Regards,

Hendo

Amor

Hi Andrew,

I would be grateful if you could provide any information on the below soldier who came originally from my home town in Inverkeithing:

Pvt James Laurie

2nd Bn. Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.

Service No. 8/3311

Date of death: 24/03/1917

Buried in St. Quentin Cabaret Military Cemetery

Rgds,

Alex

Bardess

There are a number of NZ diaries held at the AWM here

Wendy Macpherson

Thanks Diane :thumbsup:

No luck there unfortantly, but a great sight to explore one evening