Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Back home and what do i find!!

7:29am

Hi everyone,

Finally got back from Spain to sunny leicestershire and have been going around the villages doing my stuff.

In a village called Hallaton have come accross a gentleman who is looking at names on the war memorial and is concerned about a couple of issues.

1) he has a name on the war memorial that is not in the commonwealth listing

name "montague percy killingrey" (top name!)

2) he has a soldier who was discharged from the army (i think 1916) and died shortly after. He thinks from the effects of wounds, and he wants the name put on the memorial.

In both instances what is the protocol?

on another note does anyone know what the first welch regiment were up to on the 26th july 1916? I have a Caverley Bewicke (whos mother bought the Hallaton war memorial in his honour) who was "killed in action at Pozieres when in command of the machine guns of his battn". ( commd of the Thiepval memorial) apparently his father a major in the battn never got over the loss of his favourite son.

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Jim.

P.S isn't it nice to see rain!

Jim,

With regard to putting names on the Village War Memorial, I recently approached the Village Parish Council regarding six names that were missing from the Memorial, they had them put on A.S.P. and had the Memorial refurbished and the names re-cut at the same time.

Regards Cliff.

P.S. I have to admit some of my friends are on the P.C.

In a village called Hallaton have come accross a gentleman who is looking at names on the war memorial and is concerned about a couple of issues.

1) he has a name on the war memorial that is not in the commonwealth listing

name "montague percy killingrey" (top name!)

2) he has a soldier who was discharged from the army (i think 1916) and died shortly after. He thinks from the effects of wounds, and he wants the name put on the memorial.

In both instances what is the protocol?

Cheers

Jim.

P.S isn't it nice to see rain!

1. Just one! I've got 22 not named . It is not unusual.

2. most were put on the memorial from local lists provided by people to a local committee.

3. why happy with rain? :P

Aye

Malcolm

It is not unusual to have names on a village memorial that do not appear to be on the CWGC register. There are a few from Holmfirth and I am hoping that I shall come across the reasons why as I read through the war years in the local paper. It might be a difference in spelling or he may have died of wounds after the CWGC cut off point.

Tony.

It is not unusual to have names on a village memorial that do not appear to be on the CWGC register.  There are a few from Holmfirth and I am hoping that I shall come across the reasons why as I read through the war years in the local paper.  It might be a difference in spelling or he may have died of wounds after the CWGC cut off point.

Tony.

Or he may have been discharged from the army wounded, and then died of his wounds.

Tom

No sign of 68099 Killingrey, Montague P in Soldiers Died. Looks as if he survived and died after the cut off date. This would explain him being absent from CWGC.

It could be the other man's family did not want his name included.

When was this memorial raised?

Can you advise the main text on the memorial?

1. Just one! I've got 22 not named . It is not unusual.

2. most were put on the memorial from local lists provided by people to a local committee.

3. why happy with rain? :P

Aye

Malcolm

Because i live in southern spain and i haven't seen rain for nearly a year!!!

Thanks very much for the comments, i will keep listening to what this chap uncovers as he digs, but one of my initial feelings is that Killingrey was left off the commonwealth lists for a reason.

Off to Uppingham school tommorrow friends of the man who looks after the archives for a private viewing so no doubt will have some more questions. Will post photos of the chapel later this week

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Have you tried looking into the local newspaper archives? Might be something on your men under the casualty lists, which these papers often carried. Might clarify if and when they were wounded or even when died.

Ian

Local memorials are a source of joy and distraction; in the case of Grateley, some of the intials have been incorectly transcribed - others do not appear on the CWGC site - but there agin, given the numbers who were killed, I think we are lucky that most entries are accurate :(

Hi Jim,

There is no Montague Percy Killingrey on the GRO microfiche for overseas deaths, that could thin the search out a little. Steve has highlighted the link to his MIC so he served in the Artillery.

Andy

Here’s the family in 1901. They’ve been in Hallaton for a while as Montague was born there. In the 1891 census, the family are shown to be in Hallaton, Rutland, but in the previous 1881 census, the father, Robert, was still single and with his parents in Clapham.

Also unable to locate in CWGC, I’m afraid, suggesting that Montague died after the cut off point.

post-1356-1126610822.gif