Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings (Liverpool Regiment)

fellop

Greetings to all Pals,

I wonder if any Pal might be kind enough to tell me what the 17th Battalion Kings (Liverpool Regiment) were doing or where they were located on the 3rd July 1916. I am researching a 16899 Private Ellis who was KIA that day.

regards

Peter.

From memory they were somewhere in the newly established line between Montauban, Bernafay Wood and the Brickworks on the Maricourt road; with posts in a sunken lane beyond. Bernafay Wood fell without much of a fight that day, but fire was received from the direction of Trones Wood and Longueval. I suspect he fell in such circumstances.

Peter,

On the 2nd of July, the 17th Pals KLR consolidated 'Casement' and 'Dublin' trenches (see map below). They were still there on the 3rd having 13 ORs killed on that date and losing no officers.

Hope this is of help,

Ronnie.

post-2-1059413055.gif

Very many thanks to both Paul and Ronnie, that has been a great help, thanks also Ronnie for the map.

Best Regards

Peter.

Peter,

Is Pte Ellis a relative of yours?. Do you have any info on him for my Kings database? Grateful for any information.

Regards

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

My great grandfather was Pte John William Bannister of the 1st Bn, King's Liverpool Regiment. He died in service on 8th August 1916.

Does anybody have any further information on his battalion?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Hope the following is of use:

Pte John William Bannister

Killed in Action 8th August 1916

France & Flanders

Born Burnley, Lancashire

Enlisted Ashton-Under-Lyne, Lancashire

Resided Oldham, Lancashire

Formerly 2247, Manchester Regiment

1st Battalion, The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

04/08/14 Talavera Barracks, Aldershot - 6th Brigade, 2nd Division

13/08/14 Landed at Havre, France

11/11/18 at Preux-au-Sart, North East of Le Quesnoy, France with 6th Brigade, 2nd Division

Regards,

Ronnie.

Peter,

I don't know if you have the following from the Bootle War Memorial with Pte T. W. Ellis's inscription. I'm from that neck of the woods and took photos of the memorial many moons ago, the old fashioned way with an SLR camera. I've no idea if Stoker J.G. F. Ellis is related.

post-2-1061057544.jpg

Peter.

This is the regimental history's entry for the 17th Bn on 3rd July 1916...

Dave

post-2-1061072098.jpg

Carolyn,

This is the "snippet" regarding the 1st Bn on 8th August 1916...

post-2-1061072237.jpg

...and...

post-2-1061072316.jpg

Greeting to all Pals,

Sorry for not sending replies and thanks for all the information that the many Pals have sent sooner than this. I blame only myself for being busy and not checking for answers and replies more often to my question.

Joe, Sorry Ellis is not a relative of mine but I need to know about him, his actions and those of the Battalion for July 1916 as they are central to someone who is a relative and was KIA, but not of the Battalion. They were friends pre war and Ellis wrote to my relatives widow, she in turn wrote I think to Ellis` mother after he was killed.

Ronnie, Very many thanks for going to the effort of taking pictures of the memorial at Bootle, I have e mailed you off list and sorry again about my confusion when you mentioned Bootle. I will save the pictures and add them to stuff I am collating re Ellis.

Dave, Many thanks for taking the time to add the extract from the Regimental History for the Battalion. It makes very interesting reading and I shall also save it and add to items being collated.

Very many thanks to all Pals that have used their valuable time and effort to provide me with information re Ellis and the Battalion and I am only sorry that I have not had time to reply and give my thanks sooner.

Regards

Peter.

Peter,

Hope the following is of interest.

17 KLR War Diary Extract 3/ 7/16

Quiet day - at dawn took over piece of 20 KLR line in front of Glatz Redoubt. At 9pm 27 Inf Brigade successfully attacked Bernafay Wood. Casualties killed 8 other ranks and 24 other ranks wounded. [in fact 12 men are listed as having been kia on this day with 17 KLR]

Thomas William Ellis enlisted 3/9/14 as No 16899 in 'A' Company 17 KLR (1st Liverpool Pals) and after training was drafted to France 16/12/15 and arrived at 30 Inf Base Depot the next day. Note that his Battalion went to France 7/11/15 - the reason for his delay is not known. On 31/12/15 he was attached to 2nd Entrenching Battalion and did not join 17 KLR until 11 February 1916 when the Battalion were in the Suzanne area. He was kia 3/7/16.

Thomas was an old Liverpool Seaman's Orphanage Boy and before the war he worked for the Sankey Sugar Co. His mother lived in Strand St, Bootle. There is a photo of him in the Liverpool Echo of 19/7/16.

Would be grateful for more context of your interest in this soldier!

Regards

Joe

Thank you very much for your information, it has proved to be very useful. The depth of knowledge and kindness of the board members on here is fantastic.

Thanks again,

Carolyn

• 2 years later...

If anyone is still monitoring this thread, I am a descendent of one brother of Thomas William Ellis adn would be interested in sharing any family information.