Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RGA question for our Artillery experts !

BULLDOGFOGG

Pals, a brief one for you, 2 questions:

1. Were RGA soldiers volunteer or regular ?

2. Did RGA batteries recruit from particular areas, im interested to know what RGA formation a soldier from Redditch, Worcestershire would have been recruited into ?

Thanks all

Kevin

Kevin:

1. I am not sure what you mean by "volunteer". The personnel serving in RGA batteries came from numerous services including Regulars, Territorials, Special Reserves and New Army men.

2. Generally speaking the RGA, as with all the Royal Artillery, recruited nationwide, although Territorial units generally recruited from their home areas.

Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks for the prompt reply, ive been confused (not difficult)by another expert off list who has suggested that RFA were locally recruited territorials (volunteers) and RGA were regular soldiers. Im trying to identify a photo of a family member in RGA uniform, to no avail at the moment. We know its an EVANS but as you can imagine with a popular name like that searching is proving difficult. Its one of those "keep you awake at night" missions im on at the moment !!

Kevin

Kevin: The "expert" who told you offlist that the RFA were locally recruited territorials and that the RGA were regular soldiers must be an expert on something other than the Royal Artillery. The Royal Artillery (including the RHA, RFA and RGA) generally recruited nation-wide except for the Territorials and some RFA gunners with an "L" prefix to their regimental numbers, who were recruited locally in 1915 under a scheme that was rather quickly terminated. Dick Flory

Dick,

Just confirms that for all things WW1 this forum is the source of all sources, thank you youve just stopped me chasing a "whale of a red herring" (i rather like that description!), thanks Dick.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

The difference between the RFA, RHA and RGA had to do with mission and armament and were from all sources as Dick has pointed out.

Mike Morrison

• 9 months later...

rflory, Dick is there any way I can get a copy of a medal card and a large photo of an RGA group as it won't let me attach to this message? I have been researching my husband's Grandfather who served in South African Infantry and then he was 2nd Lieut in RGA (Don't know which). Charles Colville Kelly was his name. Julie

Julie Kelly: If you want to send me a photo of a Medal Index Card and medal group please send me a Private Message with you email address and I will send you an email. Regards. Dick Flory

Bulldogfrog,

Does your man havve a name and number.

As Dick says generally RGA were recruited nationwide excepting Territorial and some New Army batteries. The number style can sometimes be a clue as to which type of battery he was assigned.

Roop