Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drill Hall 5/7th Hampshires

ianw

This drill hall was the OCA H.Q in Southampton and my Grandfather would have attended branch meetings there. Can anyone advise where it may have been ?

Quote from "The Old Contemptible" October 1932 :-

" We assembled at our HQ and headed by the Band of the Southampton Tramways and the "Old Contemptible" Southampton police horse "Warrior"marched to St Mary's Church ... The parade with standard was about 50 strong... we marched to the Cenotaph and then returned to the Drill hall."

Ian, in 1914, the 5th were HQ'd at Carlton Place, Southampton. The site is still there (I believe it is the University OTC HQ now), while the 7th were in Bournemouth, at 177 Holdenhurst Rd. I know the two Bns were amalgamated between the wars, but I'm afraid that I have no idea where HQ was.

However, the description above would suggest the Carlton Place location, as it is not too far to parade from there to St Mary's.

At some point there was a location at Woolston, as I recall, when first living in the town about 18 years ago, that there was a building (since gone) with the dog-gauge badge.

Hope this helps.

Steve

i know that in bournemouth there is a building on holdenhurst road that has 5/7th hampshire regt on it. They are doing something to it at the moment as there is scaffolding round it. I think it might have a year on it but not to sure. Will have a look tomorrow.

Elliot

Yes thanks Steve. That makes sense. It had to be pretty adjacent to the town centre to make marching to the cenotaph possible. St Marys is the church in the Avenue , I think ?

And the dog-gauge makes another welcome appearance on the Forum !

Hi,

According to the April 1938 Army List , the battalion's HQ was at 32 Carlton Place, Southampton.

Hope this helps,

Wienand

Ian - not entirely sure, but my wife says "It's the one near the Itchen Toll Bridge - you know, near the St Mary's Stadium". Does that explain it any better? I guess that is near the Avenue, but not actually in. For reference, it's probably near the Central Mosque, and not far from City Institute - effectively just across the road from the Cenotaph.

The drill hall in Carlton Place was described in Kelly's 1911 Directory of Hampshire as '5th Battalion Hampshire Regiment; head quarters, A, B, C, D, E & G Companies, 32 Carlton pl.’

I understand it is still in use by Southampto Univesity OTC.

I'd be interested in anything on the Bournemouth drill hall.

Graeme

post-220-1126476115.jpg

Thanks for the picture Graeme. I can now picture where it is, I think. I can also see the route of the OCA 1932 march in my mind's eye.

Southampton Cenotaph, by the way, was built in 1920 to a Lutyens design and has 2008 names on it.

Thanks for the picture Graeme. I can now picture where it is, I think. I can also see the route of the OCA 1932 march in my mind's eye.

Southampton Cenotaph, by the way, was built in 1920 to a Lutyens design and has 2008 names on it.

And is a 'proper' Cenotaph, with the 'body' a fallen soldier on it, as opposed to the one in Whitehall, which hasn't and isn't!