The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Opinions on Good Tank Books

Dave G

I'm particularly fond of books related to the development and deployment of tanks in WWI especially first-hand contemporary accounts. Obviously I've combed through several bibliographies to develop a list of books on the topic but I would welcome recommendations from fellow forum members on books in this genre.

All the best,

Dave

Dave

If you haven't already seen it, Tanks and Trenches by David Fletcher (editor) [iSBN 0 7509 1345 2] is an excellent, and well illustrated, collection of contemporary first hand accounts.

Regards

Gareth

'The New Excalibur'.........will no doubt be a WW1 tank scholars favourite.

My personal favourites are:

Tank Battles of WW1 by Bryan Cooper Published in 1974

....and if your lucky enought to get your hands on one:

Tanks in the Great War by Fuller in 1920.........which is brief in most places but covers every tank action in the Great War, British, German, French and American. This book has proved most useful in my research.

Steve.

A few others which you have probably come across already are "The Boilerplate War" by John Foley which was written at a time when there were still many old tankers left to ask questions of (1960 and now out of print, I think) "The Ironclads of Cambrai" by Bryan Cooper and still available and finally the best tank book ever written, the monumental "The Tanks at Flers" by Trevor Pidgeon which is also still available.

Tom

others that might be of interest "rolling into action" "a tank drivers experiences" "following the tanks" regards John

My suggestion would be TANK VERSUS TANK : The Illustrated Story of Armoured Battlefield Conflict in the Twentieth Century by Kenneth Macksey. Covers the whole century but has detailed accounts and statistic information about the WW1-era. *thumbs up*

'The War as I saw it - 1918 letters of a Tank Corps Lieutenant' by Harvey L Harris is quite an interesting personal perspective from a US Tanker.

Jim

Dave,

I would have a look for 'Following The tanks To Cambrai' (ISBN 2-9511696-1-2)

Great book with lots of facts and pictures and an interesting pull out map showing the progress of the Battle and pinpointing were each tank ended up.

The book was co-written by Philippe Gorcznski who was heavily involved in finding and recovery the WW1 Tank at Flesquieres.

regards,

Scottie.

• 4 years later...
Dave

If you haven't already seen it, Tanks and Trenches by David Fletcher (editor) [iSBN 0 7509 1345 2] is an excellent, and well illustrated, collection of contemporary first hand accounts.

Regards

Gareth

I once won 8 pints of ale in our pub quiz being the only clever dick in the tavern who knew the first battle using tanks was Cambrai. Of course, now I am a GWF member and therefore know so much more, I would have answered Flers and the gallon would have gone to another team. Sometimes, a little knowledge has its advantages.

However, I have just completed this excellent book which has just appeared in my local library, although it was first out in 1994. I found it just as Gareth did in 2005 and would certainly suggest to a newcomer that it would still be a 'Good tank book'. In fact, I shall now re-read it in order to enjoy the bits I missed first time. It's an age thing you see, probably due to excessive beer consumption in bygone days.

Phil.

As mentioned above; I feel there is one which stands out above the rest, The Tanks at Flers by Trevor Pidgeon

Andy

Aside from the ridiculously priced example on Amazon, where would one find a copy of 'Following the Tanks : Cambrai'?