Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

soldier died look up..please

Guest Steiner

Hi,

I was on the old website probably about a year ago where someone was kindly helping me trace my uncle. He was 13242 Pte Walter E Walker who transferred into the 6th lincs possibly from the 5th lincs. I have downloaded his medal index card but it doesnt really give much information. Im basically trying to find out where and when he was killed as my family and I would like to go out and lay a wreath. BTW he is not listed on the cwgc site for some reason!!

Hello,

The details from SDGW are :

Walter Walker

Private 13242

Lincolnshire regiment

6th Bn.

Born: Holborn, Middx.

Enlisted: Hackney, Middx.

Residence: ---

Killed in Action 18/09/16 France & Flanders.

Regards,

Spud

Steiner - your relative is listed on CWGC under the name W Walker - Son of August and Mary Ann Walker. Native of London.

He's buried in Pozieres British Cemetery on the Somme.

He was born in Holborn and enlisted in Hackney.

He was Killed in Action on 18th September, 1916. On that day his Battalion (6trh Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment) were in trenches near the area of Ovillers, a village which is very close to the cemetery in which he is buried. One company of the battalion had captured a German trench during the night of the 15th. There was then some further fighting as the Germans unsuccessfully counter-attacked to win back the captured position. The battalion left this area on the 19th.

Tom

Steiner - your relative is listed on CWGC under the name W Walker - Son of August and Mary Ann Walker. Native of London.

He's buried in Pozieres British Cemetery on the Somme. 

He was born in Holborn and enlisted in Hackney.

He was Killed in Action on 18th September, 1916.  On that day his Battalion (6trh Battalion, The Lincolnshire Regiment) were in trenches near the area of Ovillers, a village which is very close to the cemetery in which he is buried.  One company of the battalion had captured a German trench during the night of the 15th.  There was then some further fighting as the Germans unsuccessfully counter-attacked to win back the captured position.  The battalion left this area on the 19th.

Tom

Tom, Spud,

Can't thank you enough. I had been putting his full name into the cwgc search engine...schoolboy error!!

If you are interested: I found a letter he had written just before he left for that fateful trip. He was about the same age as me when he was killed (we think) and left no children, so has been more or less forgotten. The letter is very moving and he speaks of seeing his sister (my great-grandmother) when he gets leave, of course he never did!

I really can't thank you both enough and my family and I will be going to france to lay a wreath for him.

Regards, Neil

Neil,

Given your uncle's service number I think it's unlikely that he transferred from the 5th Lincs. He is more likely to have enlisted directly into the regiment in October/November 1914.

Have you looked at his MIC:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

I'd suspect he's likely to have served at Gallopli prior to his time on the western front. Hopefully the MIC will confirm or deny this.

Jim