Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Screaming Devils

Guest Mark H

Thank you to all those who have helped me so far, with my search for information. Sorry but lm back again with yet another request :-

Geoffrey Seldon Arnold-Wallinger was a lance corpral, number 8778 in the Inns of Court OTC. He served in the 2nd and 6th companies. The 6th where known as the screaming devils, does anyone have any knowledge of this name or the reason why or how they aquired it please.

I understand that the 6th company was attached to the 3rd 16th Royal Fusiliers, at 1130 am on 19th September 1916 the company way involved in a live firing exercise on " Sand Dunes" possibly somewhere in Essex, when a shell was misfired and landed in the middle of the company, killing 12 and wounding 30. G S Arnold Wallinger is believed to be amongst the 30 wounded, he died of his wounds 5 days later, at the Aylesbury Military Hospital.

It is possible that the training was being run by the 4th Bn. Royal Engineers.

If anyone can help with information, about any element of the above, l would be very grateful, l am very keen to try and locate the "Sand Dunes" the battallion history only says those words, it does not say where they were, but it is possible they were on the coast in Essex somewhere.

Thank you for taking the time to read this posting.

Regards

Mark H

I would take a guess that the "Sand Dunes" in Essex refers to Shoeburyness, where I believe there was a gunnery school.

I am currently trawling through the newspaper archives in Essex; with such a large death toll this accident stands a good chance of being reported.

If your publishing deadline is not too pressing, bear with me and I will see if I can find something.

• 8 months later...
I would take a guess that the "Sand Dunes" in Essex refers to Shoeburyness, where I believe there was a gunnery school.

I am currently trawling through the newspaper archives in Essex; with such a large death toll this accident stands a good chance of being reported.

If your publishing deadline is not too pressing, bear with me and I will see if I can find something.

Adrian

Any luck with the papers?

Mark