Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soldier's Small Book

SPotter

OK - enlighten me. Just why is this worth £40? I have checked the reference page to his online MIC - nothing special. He is not on CWGC. Even if someone had his medals and was prepared to pay above market price there seems a lot of interest in this. Any ideas why?

Regards

Steve

It appears that two bidders are going for it,possibly one has his Medals,the other might collect to Family name?

I gave up trying to fathom why? on e Bay bidding yonks ago,the same{similar} thing next week might struggle @ £10.00! ;)

Steve,

I was merely wondering if there was a hidden story behind the recipient that I was unable to uncover in the usual quick searches. Perhaps he was a gallantry medal winner or some other connection as it appears he survived. If the book belonged to a man who's medals I possessed then no doubt I'd be bidding high too, but with a day and a half to go it's now up to £50! I guess that the going rate for a 'standard' book (if there can ever be such a thing) is probably only in the order of £10-15?

Just curious!

Steve

I have been collecting for more years than I care to admit! I do not recall seeing WW1 small books on the market that often and not for 10-15 pounds.

They are a nice personal item with details that are only available if the man's papers survived. I paid over 40 pounds for an example to a man in the 7th Hussars some years ago, admittedly with a few other papers as well.

I guess if more than one person wants a copy of an interesting personal effect, then the price will reflect that.

I do not recall seeing WW1 small books on the market that often and not for 10-15 pounds.

I paid over 40 pounds for an example to a man in the 7th Hussars some years ago,

It all depends on location really. I've usually found the Small Books to be in more abundance than (WW1)AB64s (apart from on ebay where I'd guess that the frequency of finding them is split 50-50) and have never had to pay more than £20 for one (though I've seen casualty books going for £40 -£60, it's still possible to find them for under a tenner - got one about a year or so ago to a DOW who died of wounds in 1915 for about £5).

dave.

got one about a year or so ago to a DOW who died of wounds in 1915 for about £5).

dave.

Dave,

I've already surmised that you are a lucky so-and-so when it comes to getting maps et al at bargain basement prices!

Steve

Dave,

I've already surmised that you are a lucky so-and-so when it comes to getting maps et al at bargain basement prices!

Steve

No luck involved really, Steve.

I just avoid dealers like the plague!!!

Dave.