Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sidi Bishr Alexandra Nov 1918

Guest brizy

Hi All,

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing everything ok.

I'm trying to find out some info on my Grandad, unfortunately I only have a postcard which is dated 28 November 1918 & sent from Sidi Bishr, Alexandria in Egypt.

I have blown up the hat picture and attached it here.

I understand that he may of been in the Machine Gun Corps from his hat badge.

Which regiment I do not know as this is the only piece of info i have.

He was living in Darlington or Shildon , Co.Durham prior to been conscripted.

Does anyone know of a any regiment that was at Sidi Bishr at this time or can point me in the direction of finding out more information that may help.

Many thanks & Best Regards

Brian

post-7962-1126177751.jpg

Hello

Your picture is too big ; so difficult to see what is this.

If he is died in WW1, you will find dsome info on CWGC website.

It will confirm which unit he is belonging to.

Then you could find more details on his MIC.

Many threads alreasy about "how to start" such requests.

There are good advices and good luck.

Regards

Hello

Your picture is too big ; so difficult to see what is this.

If he is died in WW1, you will find dsome info on CWGC website.

It will confirm which unit he is belonging to.

Then you could find more details on his MIC.

Many threads alreasy about "how to start" such requests.

There are good advices and good luck.

Regards

Brian,

You'll have to use your computer photosuite to cut down the photo to a managable level for an attachment. Plus can you give us the name of your grandfather, so that GWF members can do look-ups for you.

Regards,

Graham.

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

He survived the war.

Since the initial posting I can now confirm his Number in the Machine Gun Corp

as Private 66375 William Pattison Dixon and was demobbed on 08 March 1919.

What regiment or company he served in I don't know.

He was living at Darlington at time of the war in 1916

His Date of Birth would be of great benefit as I am tracing my family tree & there is a mystery surrounding the name Pattison Dixon.

If some one can point me in the right direction regarding this it would be most helpful

Thank & best regards

Brizy

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

He survived the war.

Since the initial posting I can now confirm his Number in the Machine Gun Corp

as Private 66375 William Pattison Dixon and was demobbed on 08 March 1919.

What regiment or company he served in I don't know.

He was living at Darlington at time of the war in 1916

His Date of Birth would be of great benefit as I am tracing my family tree & there is a mystery surrounding the name Pattison Dixon.

If some one can point me in the right direction regarding this it would be most helpful

Thank & best regards

Brizy

Hello Brizy. Having done some research into MGC and their numbering system I can give you an educated guess about WP Dixon. His number (66375) falls within a group of soldiers of the Yorkshire Regt who transferred to MGC prior to serving abroad, which is why there is no mention of other regiments on his Medal Index Card. From information known about some of those other soldiers, it is possible to say that he PROBABLY served with 207 MG Coy. This was a Company of machine-gunners formed as reinforcing troops in Oct 1916 and originally assigned to 3(Australian) Div and supporting 33-44 Austr Inf Bns. They may have been involved in the battles at Polygon Wood/Broodseinde and 1st Passchendaele (Oct 1916) before being transferred to the 18(Indian) Division in Mesopotamia in Oct 1917. This div was formally constituted 24/12/1917 but, due to acclimatisation problems was not engaged until late in 1918. The Company served alongside 1/9 Middx, 1/89 Punjab Inf, 1/3 Gurkhas, 106 Ind Inf and 1/32 Ind Inf. In Oct 1918 they were engaged in actions at Fat-ha Gorge, and on the Little Zab river and in the battle of the Sharqat. In Nov 1918 they formed part of 18(Ind) Battalion, MGC. Many members were sent back to UK after the Armistice (probably inc WP Dixon) but those who remained became part of the occupying force in Iraq. They took part in operations in Kurdistan and the Iraq rebellion of 1920 (qualifying for the Gen Service Medal).

It's a VERY long shot, but you could try looking in the War Diary of 207 Coy to see if there are any individual names mentioned (not likely). These are in WO95/3387 and 5226 at National Archives. Good Luck!

Thanks Partesan,

That really is excellent information.

I received the other info from Jim Parker regarding his army number etc.

He informs me that he has the nominal role of 207 company and WP Dixon isn't listed.

However is there any mileage in looking at the Yorkshire Regiment he may of been in before transferring over to the MGC.

Many Thanks

& Best Regards

Brian

Thanks Partesan,

That really is excellent information.

I  received the other info from Jim Parker regarding his army number etc.

He informs me that he has the nominal role of 207 company and WP Dixon isn't listed.

However is there any mileage in looking at the Yorkshire Regiment he may of been in before transferring over to the MGC.

Many Thanks

& Best Regards

Brian

Hello again Brizy:

I would be very sceptical of so-called "nominal rolls" for the MGC - I've certainly never seen one, and if one was produced would wish to know where it came from and who compiled it. Not only that, a nominal roll would have been compiled at one moment in time. It would be out of date almost as quickly as it was produced - men going sick, getting posted, leaving, dying etc and others joining and re-joining. I am fairly sure about 207 Coy - nothing else fits in with the numbering system. To back this up, I have 37,000 entries in my MGC database, covering one in five of every MGC soldier (other ranks) who served abroad. Nuff said?

Hello again Brizy:

I would be very sceptical of so-called "nominal rolls" for the MGC - I've certainly never seen one, and if one was produced would wish to know where it came from and who compiled it.  Not only that, a nominal roll would have been compiled at one moment in time.  It would be out of date almost as quickly as it was produced - men going sick, getting posted, leaving, dying etc and others joining and re-joining.  I am fairly sure about 207 Coy - nothing else fits in with the numbering system.  To back this up, I have 37,000 entries in my MGC database, covering one in five of every MGC soldier (other ranks) who served abroad.  Nuff said?

Hi Partesan,

Thanks again for the info. It looks as though I need to take a trip down to the National Archives.

As well as the machine gun corp, you mentioned that he could of been transferred from a Yorkshire Regiment, how would I find out which Regiment etc this was.

Best Regards

Brian

Hi Partesan,

Thanks again for the info. It looks as though I need to take a trip down to the National Archives.

As well as the machine gun corp, you mentioned that he could of been transferred from a Yorkshire Regiment, how would I find out which Regiment etc this was.

Best Regards

Brian

Records indicate that it was "The Yorkshire Regt" (Green Howards) - sorry, no idea which Bn.

Having known Jim Parker for the better part of ten years I think that was something of a slight; Jim has a set of Part 2 Orders for 207 Coy for the length of its existence. That is something of an impressive numbering database - but as I've found in other areas (very MGC this) you can think you've cracked something, only there's a wrinkle and the neat conclusion isn't so neat. Been there myself on several occasions.