Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

service record

alan jones

Hello ,

Has anyone got a copy of a soldiers service record that they could show as an example of what we might see if we are lucky enough to come across our soldiers records.

Regards,

Alan

I found my Great Uncle Richard Ridge's

It is very hard to read the microfilm and the printed copy is even worse.

It is a shame we cannot view the original.

The record doesn't actualy give you much Military info but dates of service home and abroad are useful:-

Extracts:-

Home from 28/1/1915 to 29/8/1915 - 214 days

France from 30/8/1915 to 30/11/1917 – 2 years 93 days

Home from 1/12/1917 to 2/6/1918 – 184 days

France from 3/6/1918 to 15/8/1918 – 74 days

Home 16/8/1918 to 28/3/1919 – 225 days

Total 4 year 60 days

Wounded ? Gas 17/9/17

Wounded GSW 11/17

Wounded GSW 15/8/1918

Admitted to 12 General Hospital Rouen 24/11/1917

Admitted 16 (Phila USA) General Hospital LE TREFORT 10/8/1918 GSW Multiple

Married Edensor Church 21 Dec 1913

I know he was on chardges for being absent and drunk.

How much pension he got

But I still haven't a clue what he did to gain his MM!

Jane

Jane,

Was Richard Ridge RFA?

London Gazette 23-2-1918 (Published 22-2-1918)

85146 Cpl. R. Ridge, R.F.A. (Loughton).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Bearing in mind the usual 3 month lag on date of action to Gazette, I would imagine that this COULD tie in with his November 1917 wounding?

Oh, and I came across an MC citation to an Archibald Spark a while ago. Is this one of yours?

Steve.

Thanks to James and Jane and I look forward to Chris's average record.Would home address or address of NOK be mentioned also?I have been told there are over 25 rolls of film on Jones's at Kew, although my grandfather was discharged 28/6/1921 so it might not be there.

Next of Kin goes on the attestation papers, like the Canadian one posted.

Also, wife and kids went on a dependents form for extra pay.

Steve.

My Grandfathers listed the ships he travelled in to France, Salonika and Egypt and home. Also details of a court martial for smoking when ordered not to, and plenty of dates, but burnt around the edges.

His future son in law’s Grandfather’s has a home address to send his medals to and the names and birth dates of his children, also his wife’s maiden name. These pages are not burnt but very faded, the words “Gas poisoning” next to the date 4-11-1917 can be seen with a magnifying glass.

It looks as if it is pot luck regards readability, if you get anything at all.

Tony.

Jane,

Was Richard Ridge RFA?

London Gazette 23-2-1918 (Published 22-2-1918)

85146 Cpl. R. Ridge, R.F.A. (Loughton).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Bearing in mind the usual 3 month lag on date of action to Gazette, I would imagine that this COULD tie in with his November 1917 wounding?

Oh, and I came across an MC citation to an Archibald Spark a while ago. Is this one of yours?

Steve.

Sorry Steve

Only just seen your reply.

I had seen the Gazette Entries for Richard Ridge & Archibald Douglas Spark and indeed these are my Great Uncles.

Since I started this I have found out quite a bit about ADS including his daughter is alive and living in Australia and has his Army Book. She hadn't a clue how he got his MC but I now belive it was actions 30/31st July 1916 with 153 Machine Gun Company at High Wood while supporting 19 Division

As for Richard ( Dick ) Ridge there isn't much of note in 110 Bde RFA War Diary in November 1917:-

24/11/1917 Prisoner taken night 23/24 confirmed raid opposite GIVINCHY to be made by 250 Stormtrap

F 10b52

La Bassee 1/10,000

36cNW1 28/11/17 D110 believed to have scored direct hit on hostile TM. Brigade Major RA & Group Commander 42nd Da visited post.

A110 heavily shelled between 10am and 2pm. Damage 200 No 5.9 from direction between La Bassee & GAauvies. 1 OR killed, 1 OR wounded. 1 gun out of action splinter through outer spring case

Any thoughts

Jane

• 1 year later...
As for Richard ( Dick ) Ridge there isn't much of note in 110 Bde RFA War Diary in November 1917:-

24/11/1917 Prisoner taken night 23/24 confirmed raid opposite GIVINCHY to be made by 250 Stormtrap

F 10b52

La Bassee 1/10,000

36cNW1 28/11/17 D110 believed to have scored direct hit on hostile TM. Brigade Major RA & Group Commander 42nd Da visited post.

A110 heavily shelled between 10am and 2pm. Damage 200 No 5.9 from direction between La Bassee & GAauvies. 1 OR killed, 1 OR wounded. 1 gun out of action splinter through outer spring case

Any thoughts

Jane

Have now discovered Dick wasn't with 110 Bde RFA at this time - he moved to them later.

He was with 87 Battery RFA at Cambrai in November 1917.

According to War Diary he gained his MM 22nd November with the Wagon Lines, they were near Marcoing & 87 Battery were in the Quarry behind 9 Wood. I guess he was wounded at the same time the War Diary says MARCOING 22nd November 8 am During morning battery wagon lines shelled & casualties sustained 87 battery - 3 ORs killed & & woinded, 11 horses killed & 4 wounded

Jane

Hi,

Talking about service records, I have found that the Australian Army service records on line are excellent, and are also free. Found out a lot about a 31st AIF man who was wounded. Maybe there are those that already know this, but thought may be helpful to those that don't.

Best wishes

Hillgorilla

not sure if you are aware but ww1 army pension records are becoming available on line at ancestry.co.uk,

at the moment only the a & b surnames are online but the rest should be on by later in the year,

I am waiting for w but had a look at some of the ones available now and they are variable but most are several pages,with attestation papers, service record, next of kin, dependants, woundings, reason for discharge, character, the one I looked at had a letter fron the mans wife asking for his medals, he was listed as lost in action so the authorities hadnt issued them to her.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a website with some Canadian Expeditionary Force examples. Borden Battery

*The CEF Paper Trail - Brett Payne Website +

An Unofficial Guide to the Official Canadian Army Service Records from the Great War

This project involves collating examples of each type of document found in a soldier's World War I Canadian Expeditionary Force Service Records. The guide is designed to show prospective researchers what they may expect in a soldiers' service records. It's important to be aware that you will only find a selection of these records in your particular CEF soldier's file. Brett Payne and other researchers with the CEF Study Group are seeking additional CEF documents. A very well done summary of representative documents and invaluable for any student of the Great War.

[Note: Some images will be slow to load under dial-up access.][CEF Study Group - July 2005]

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~b...rtrail.html#top