Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment

MelPack

Does anybody have any informatiom on the cap badge and shoulder markings used by the 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment? Also - any suggestions about which museum or archive may possess the Nominal Roll for the Regiment?

Regards

Mel

If their experiences are similar to others the men in this reserve regiment would have worn the badges of their original units, in this case the 5th and 12th Lancers (originally). That said I am not sure about any new recruits and for sporting events I know one RCR wore roman numerals on their jerseys.

I think that you would be extremely fortunate to find any such nominal roll but a good statring point may be the museums to these Lancer Regiments. The reserve was based in Dublin in 1914.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick for that information. I am aware that a number of the Yeomanry Regiments' Reserves were incorporated into the 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment in early 1917. Does anybody else know whether once incorporated, the Yeomanry reserves retained their own badges or adopted that of the 5th or 12th Lancers?

Regards

Mel

Regiments were very proud of their identities and Yeomanry no less so. They would have retained their badges I am sure. Certainly they would have no reason to adopt the Lancer badges unless they were transferred to them for service.

patrick

Just as an aside, my great uncle first joined the reserves and being a born and bred Dubliner was put into the 6th Reserve Cavalry Divison. He then went onto join the 5th Royal Irish Lancers 108 days later.

You could try the Lancers Mueseum in Grantham. Captain Mick Holtby is the man to speak to and he is most helpful. Really knows his stuff.

I've researched a number of men who were attached to the 10th Hussars from Reserve Cavalry Regiments. Two of these men are buried in Colchester Cemetery. Their headstones bear the Royal Arms in the place of a Regimental capbadge.

Hope this helps.