Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Foriegn Medals to British Soldiers

AB64

Can anyone give me details of how to trace the details of foreign medals awarded to a British soldier? the example I am looking into is a Croix De Guerre - would this be in the London Gazette? and would it show up on the soldiers MIC?

Thanks

Alistair

Can anyone give me details of how to trace the details of foreign medals awarded to a British soldier? the example I am looking into is a Croix De Guerre - would this be in the London Gazette? and would it show up on the soldiers MIC?

Foreign Awards are usually "Gazetted" however NO citations are Promulgated,just a list of Names & Service details;so rewarded,rarely do they pertain to any Action alongside the benefacting Country but usually as an "Inter~Alia" award between Allied Countries in Reciprocal reward for suitable acts of Gallantry during Campaigns.

Some of the "Better" Regimental Histories do have Lists of Awards of Foreign Awards,surprisingly Battalion by Battalion they are quite scarce.

Generally the only chance of fnding a reference to an Act of Gallantry for such an award is in the Local Contemporary Press,if you have a Gazette date to work from[anything from a month to 6~8 months either side]

They are not normally anotated on the MiC;though never say never! ;)

Thanks for getting back to me. I was aware of the practice in WW2 of the "swapping" of awards which were, I believe, to strengthen the links between the allies but wasnt sure if WW1 had the same system. Is their a kind of Equivelnent table as in C de G = MM or whatever? its just I am looking at buying something to a British soldier awarded the Croix de Guerre and wanted to get an idea of how he got it - but as that sounds like it may be lost in the mist of time I guess if I could at least find what level of award it was that may help me decide on the purchase - if it was equivelent to an MID its obvously not as nice a lot as if it equates to a DCM and so on, also any idea where the Medale Militaire fits in.

Thanks

Alistair

As you say the Medialle Militaire roughly equates to the DCM,in its circumstance of award,the Croix de Guerre is roughly on a Par with the MM/MSM/or MiD,depending on its reason for award,which in the majority of cases we shall never know,When given to UK Soldiers.etc; I would imagine it was ranked as a lower award than a British award,eg for an Action; 1 man got the DCM,three the MM & the last chap considered worthy got a Croix de Guerre,I wouldn't dismiss the MiD as it was the only posthumous award other than the VC available & many MiDs were later awarded DCMs MMs etc for the same event,

For an example albiet an obscure one:

Private 10426 William George Galpin,5th Bn; The Dorset Regiment,who had served in Gallipoli & France from 1915 was awarded the Croix de Guerre{on this occasion unusually actually by the French};For his Gallantry & Courage whilst assisting the local farmers @ Mazingaborne,in September 1918; in bringing in the Harvest during which time the Harvesting party was Shelled by the German Heavy Artillery & Galpin killed,the Citation for his CdeG was forwarded to his Mother @ Cowplain,Wimborne in 1920,along with the Croix de Guerre & details of the Marshal Petain signed Citation published in the Wimborne Parish Magazine.

Sorry - I didnt mean to be dismissive of the MID, I know of an officer Killed at Arnhem who was recommended for the VC but that was rejected and as you say the only other option open was the MID, I should choose my words more carefully I guess.

Thanks

Alistair

Alistair,

If you are lucky and find the soldier's service record you may well find that the award is noted. I have a group, coincidentally also to the Dorsets, to a CSM who was awarded the French Medaille Militaire. This was gazetted and I have found this entry. However under the French system the award of an MM also entitled the soldier to the Croix de Guerre. This decoration is also noted on his service records under the same Gazette date, but I have never been able to find any other reference to it. I have never seen the award of a foreign decoration on an individual's MIC, but then again there are plenty of instances where a British medal is not recorded also.

Regards

Steve

That explains one thing - this guy had the Medal Militaire and the Croix de Guerre, and I thought it strange that he got 2 French Gallentry awards but no British ones. Its sounding good I think I will follow this one up - if the deal is done I may soon be posting specific questions about this guy but while its still not completed I'd rather not go into details.

Thanks

Alistair

That explains one thing - this guy had the Medal Militaire and the Croix de Guerre, and I thought it strange that he got 2 French Gallentry awards but no British ones. Its sounding good I think I will follow this one up - if the deal is done I may soon be posting specific questions about this guy but while its still not completed I'd rather not go into details.

Thanks

Alistair

Hi Alistair!

I don't know if this is what you're looking for - but this site is pretty interesting!!

http://www.homeofheroes.com/verify/1_Citat...ia_foreign.html

Annie :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I was asking about this is I have just bought a Paybook to a soldier who was awarded the French Medaille Militaire and the Croix De Guerre, he was Richard Davies 39042 of the 18th Welsh & 32562 of the East Lancs - not sure of his unit when he earned the awards.

Any info on him would be appreciated

Thanks

Alistair

Hi All,

My sister-in-laws' grandfather was awarded the DCM, Belgium amd French Crois De Guerre. We are trying to find where we can get hold of minitures. Can anyone help?

NeilD