Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pick Cave

Roy Evans

In early August 1917, the 7th Norfolks were in the area east of Monchy le Preux and there is mention of at least one Companystarting from Pick Cave. I have trench map sketches which show Pick Trench as a communication trench but there is no sign of Pick Cave. <_<

Please can anyone provide me with it's precise location?

Roy

Guest wrinklyone

Sorry that to date nobody has been able to identify this. Couldn't find it in Chasseaud's 'Topography of Armageddon'.

Colin Fox's softback on Monchy in the Battleground Europe series does include several maps showing Pick Trench, (and Pick Avenue on p93) but not Pick Cave.

Incidentally they are shown SSE of Monchy and, although you have identified Pick Trench as a comms trench, two maps dated April 1917 shows it as behind German lines.

Perhaps a visit might help? Good luck!

Roy,

All the maps of the IWM CD-Rom show Pick Avenue Trench. 2 show it in 1917 and the other is in 1918.

Is there a grid reference for it?

Steve

Thank you both for researching for me. I have recently discovered this to be the area where my GF got his Blighty one. The situation in this area was fairly fluid for some months after April '17 so it is not surprising that any given trench would be behind German lines on some maps.

I have not seen a grid reference in the unit history but yesterday I contacted the Regimental Museum in Norwich with a view to getting an extract from the war diary for that time.

I now have quite a bit about the 7th Norfolks in 1917 and will be taking myself over there next year.

Roy

Roy,

The 7th royal sussex were also there and in the history of the 7th it states it is in a chalk pit and was big enough to hold a company with ease, it was also reputed to be of prehistoric antiquity, It had two entrances but the ventilation was horribly congested when occupied by about a 150 Officers and men engaged in cooking by means of candles.

Give me a minute to see if the diary says anything and i'll get back to you if it does,

mandy

the chalk pit is south of Monchy but north of the Cambrai road,

hope this helps,

Mandy

Mandy,

Many thanks for the info., that's another piece in the jigsaw. I know roughly the location so I'll try to photograph it when I go.

Roy

Roy,

glad to be of some help, its not very often i can help people on here as i don't know that much, enjoy your trip.

Mandy