Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to trace my Father's WW1 history.

Tom Grieves

Greetings All,

I am reposting this in the hope of some assistance.

My Dad Christopher Grieves initially served in the 24th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (1st Tyneside Irish) (24/1509) and was wounded 1 Jul 1916 near La Boisselle. Sometime later, after he recovered from his wounds, possibly in late 1916, he was transferred to the KOYLI with service number 33806. In late 1918 he was transferred to the Royal Engineers with service number 214395, where he finished the war. On a 1918 Birth Certificate for a half sister of mine who passed away as a child, it shows my Dad in 74th Section Royal Engineers. My Mother wrote in a diary that my Dad was in the Royal Eingineers Special Brigade (Analytical Corps - poisionous gases). I would greatly appreciate any advice or assitance to find out more about my Dad. I am keen to know his KOYLI and Royal Engineers Battalions or units and what actions those battalions or units were involved in. Can anyone assist me?

Regards,

Tom Grieves.

Tom

The "Researching a soldier" section on the Long, Long Trail tells you exactly how to go about this.

The primary thing you need to do is to search for his service papers, for they will reveal all. If they still exist they will be held at the National Archives in Kew.

Tom,

Try this website. It's really useful and dedicated solely to the RE.

Royal Engineers

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :)

"74th Section" may well be the 74th Field Company, part of the 15th (Scottish) Division.

The numbers of the RE companies did not generally overlap. e.g. there would not be a 74th Field Company, and a 74th Tunnelling Company. The only overlap were the low numbered Field Companies and the Divisional Signal companies. 74th Division served in Egypt and Palestine, returning to France in May 1918.

http://www.1914-1918.net/re.htm

I am still learning about RE, trying to trace my Great-Grandfather's unit (like Paul). My great-uncle also transferred to RE from Infantry, too.

Looking at his service number, I would think that the date of his transfer to RE would be more like early 1917. If you know otherwise, I would be grateful for your input, as it may alter my own research!

Paul's relative had a similar number to yours and was called up in 1917, too. There are also some nearby blocks of numbers that seem to be the initial blocks for the 74th Divisional Signal Coy and another DSC, whose number escapes me at the moment, that were formed in early 1917 (though not quite coinciding with your Dad's number)

I have not come across the Analytical Corps, but they seem to me like a HQ unit that wouldn't necessarily be attached to a smaller unit, but at Army or Corps level instead.

Hope the rambling helps,

Steve.

Steve,

I dont want to hijack this thread but as a side issue................

Joe Walsh put me onto the above web site. I am waiting to see if the site owner can help me any further with my IWT Research. No reply yet but will keep you informed as there are a lot of people interested in the RE (not surprising given the size of it!) who may benefit from any info we can glean.

PAUL J

Paul,

Caught that website a couple of months ago. I thought you'd already put Herbert Lowry on the "Wants list" on the site a while back, otherwise I'd have let you know about it.

Still hijacking...

While matching scores of RE numbers to units (got about 3000 so far!) I came across an Edmund Petts MID - Docks Directorate, I believe.

Medal card of Petts, Edmund

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 228898 Serjeant

Royal Engineers WR/504842 Serjeant

Surely this man was in the same unit as Herbert?

Have you seen him and tried looking at his Service Record?

Meant to look further and let you know earlier, but forgot with moving house and all...

Edmund also scored an MSM in June 1918.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The MID was in 1919, I think. Got a date at home. I'll post it and a link later. Might be worth checking Medal Rolls for MSM, Service Medals and MID + possible Service Records?

Sideways research, I know but if his dates tie in... Well, tenuous leads are all some of us have!

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for this. Rather than hijack this thread any further I have PM'd you.

PAUL J

Chris

In 1990 and 1998, I applied to the Ministry of Defence, Bourne Avenue, Hayes, Middlesex, for my father’s military records, but on both occasions I was advised that no British Army records existed for my father Christopher Grieves. Since then I have obtained partial photocopies of his Medal Index Card, Roll Card and a casualty list from St. Georges Gazette. I live in Australia, so getting to London to do research is not so easy. I do plan to visit UK in 2006and also be in La Boisselle France for the 90th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme 01 Jul 2006, but I had hoped to know more about my Dad’s military service before I go to France. I need some assistance from a researcher who is not too expensive.

Paul,

Thanks for the RE wesite.

Steve,

Thanks, I think the 74th Field Company is the most likely. I believe my Dad worked with war gases towards the end of the war. My Mother wrote that he was in the RE for over a year and finished the war there. Based on that, he would have gone to RE in late 1917

Regards to all,

Tom Grieves.