Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

sg on medal

Guest stella2

SG would be Scots Guards if on the rim of a military award.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Do you know if there were more than one series of abbreviations used for the naming of regiments etc, etc, on the rims or backs of medals?

Like yourself when I first saw this query, I thought that the initials stood for Scots Guards also! However, whilst re-checking my references for the initials 'S.G.' I found nothing! Scots Guards was shown as 'S. GDS'.

Yet again, I cannot think that it could be anything else other than Scots Guards!

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

I am going on the Shoulder titles I have seen of the various Guards regiments and the Scots Guards are SG the Grenadiers are GG. In the case of the S Gds abreviation I can't remember seeing that on medals but I have seen it on MFO boxs, and also at the Guards Depot.

Will look into it. if on the other hand it is before the name we are probably looking at Simon George and our case falls apart!

Cheers,

Rob

can any one remember if they've heard of a medal with the initals SG on it.

Modern CSMs have such abbreviations for Regiments:SG Scots Guards,CG Coldstream Guards,GG Grenadier Guards;WG Welsh Guards Etc;[Also for many Line Regts LF,RGJ;RNF;etc;

Also the Khedive Star{1882-90} Was Depot/Regimentallly Impressed with SG for Scots Guards,With Soldiers Number,Etc

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply.

I can see where you were coming from with the initials from their shoulder titles. However, I could not find those initials being used on the medals for the Scots Guards amongst my references. Not to say that they were not used for them, as a later reply gives the Khedive Star [1882-90] as using them.

Regards

Arthur

Hi Arthur,

Thanks for all your hard work and the comprehensive list you e-mailed, I stand corrected. I will however try and call the Guards Museum and see if I can speak to the Curator and ask him to have a glance at one of the no doubt numerous medals they have there and see if we can confirm on this.

Thanks ,

Kind regards,

Rob

Hello All,

This is the image stella2 is asking about:

William%20Schofield.JPG

He served in the 6th Battalion the East Lancs Regt.

Steve

How's this? No, I've looked at the image myself and it's not good. So I've removed it.

Anyone care to edit it?

Steve

I thought it might me XL in a Laurel Wreath. Trouble is I can't remember where I've seen it before or what it means!

Were they the 40th of Foot?

From what stella2 has posted on other topics etc it's the 6th Btn East Lancs:

http://www.1914-1918.net/13div.htm

Although his MIC also mentions the West Yorks as well. I don't know if stella2 has downloaded the MIC.

Steve

Probably LG.

Courtesy of the Digger History website.

Rgds

Tim D

post-1563-1126220002.jpg

I thought that proficiency badges were worn on the left forearm - unless he was an instructor perhaps?

Still looks like XL in the badge to me.

Hello All,

This is the image stella2 is asking about:

William%20Schofield.JPG

He served in the 6th Battalion the East Lancs Regt.

Steve

hi

even though i can't do any better than steve in magnifying the badge it does say SG, i found out in the past the initals were seen only once before but on a medal, but for the life of me i can't remember what i was told and i was hopeing one of you gents might know.

thank's for the interest

stella

I am pretty certain Squirrel is correct Stella and it is not the proficiency badge. I would send a PM to Mr Langley-Baston on the forum at langleybaston1418. He is the resident insignia expert. I am pretty sure the location above the stripes in this location signifies a particular trade, for example a signaller or wheelwright.

Rgds

Tim