Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Martyn Gibson

3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment

Scalyback
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jon c said:

Hi, I have only just found this page but was very interested in the picture of the RE ? Posted by welshdoc on 2 Jan 2006 . My great uncle Cpl George S P Hanney is in the picture 2nd from right front row sat on bench . As far as I know he was only ever in A company 3rd Monmouthshire's not the RE . His number was 1299 and he joined the 3rd Monmouthshire's in June 1912 . Any information on him or the picture would be great .

2nd and 3rd Mons had men moved to the RE and other Welsh units. At one point 3rd Mons disbanded being the junior battalion so he could not be only 3rd Mons unless he was killed in action prior to 1916. 

Edit pretty much as Martin mentions above. 

Edited by Scalyback

Jon c
3 hours ago, Scalyback said:

2nd and 3rd Mons had men moved to the RE and other Welsh units. At one point 3rd Mons disbanded being the junior battalion so he could not be only 3rd Mons unless he was killed in action prior to 1916. 

Edit pretty much as Martin mentions above. 

Hi and thanks for your reply , He was as far as I know killed on 8 May 1915 and I have never seen anything saying that he was in other units .

Jon