Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment

Martyn Gibson

Happy to look up anything on this Battalion

Martyn

I now also have books on the 2 sister battalions so if you need anything on them please ask away.

Martyn Oct 2007

• 3 months later...
Guest michaelgap1

Martyn

Hi My name is Mike gapper,i am looking for any info on my grandfathers regiment ,

The only info i have comes from a very worn war diary of his that covers the lead up to him being shipped out to Ypres in Feb 1915.I will tell you what i have .His service number i think is 1563 and he was in as far as i can make out ,,3 mon Regt,. What is actually written is 1563 Pte G Gapper Cyclist .I also have his discharge cirtificate( the original parchment one) that shows that he was Honourably discharged on 28th feb 1918.apparently he was disabled out on that date.The only thing is that the discharge cirtificate is from the Royal Engineers and reads like this.....No 137595 Sapper George W Gapper Royal Engineers, this i dont understand.Any ideas???Many thanks ,,Mike ,

PS ,im always on the comp most evenings for any replys.

Hi your listing doews not agree with the National archives.

Medal card of Gapper, G W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Monmouthshire Regiment 1503 Private

Royal Engineers 137592 Private

Royal Engineers 137592 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/7

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Everitt H - Gibson A

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

That is he served with the 3rd Mons and then the roal engineers. Gareht

Martyn

What about the 4th (Monmouthshire) Brigade.

I am looking at Bombadier (Corporal) Alfred WARNES born 1894, (Army service number1552 later changed to 742059 Territorial Army number) who served in the Royal Artillery (Territorial) between 1914 and 1918 with the 4th (Monmouthshire) Brigade.

The 1/4 (Welsh) Brigade RFA was part of the 53rd (Welsh) Division and served in Egypt and Palastine. I think the 1/4 was based around Risca/Newport.

Thanks

Spider

Hello Mike and welcome to the Forum.

I do have your grandfather listed and concur with Gareth that his service number is 1503 and here is brief description of what I do know. I will PM you with a more comprehensive answer later in the week.

He was a member of the original 1000+ men who were mobilized on 4 Aug 1914. They went initially to Pembroke Dock and from there to Oswestry then on to Northampton where they worked on digging trenches as part of the East Coast Defensive system.

They left for France on the 13th Feb 1915 on the SS Cheyabasa arriving Le Havre 15th Feb 1915.

Pte Gapper was one of the 40 men selected for the mining operations on Hill 60 (was he a miner before the war?)

During April and May he would have seen and been involved in some in very heavy fighting during the 2nd Ypres. Most noteably at the Battle of Frezenberg Ridge when all three of the Monmouthshire regiments suffered very heavily.

After a period of all 3 battalions being merged, the 3rd were eventually deployed with the 49th division as their Pioneer Battalion. On 29th Dec 1915 whilst parading at Elverdinghe Chateau a shell landed in the middle of the assembled ranks causing numerous casualties.

Due to the difficulties getting replacements for the 3 battalions it was decided to disband the 1st and 3rd battalions. Some 200+ men went to the 9th Welsh and 200+ to the 2nd Monmouths.

I hope this of some help to you. As I said I will send you a more detailed account of the 3rd Mons privately.

Any further info you have on your grandfather I would be very interested in as I didn't know what had happened to him after the 3rd Mons.

Kind regards

Martyn

Evening Spider,

I will see what I can find out for you.

Regards

Martyn

Thanks for that Martyn, the web keeps getting bigger

Spider

Hi Martyn, the thread just jogged a brain cell which aint yet addled with drink. Ive got a photo from Abergavenny of the RE I was wondering does this have a Mons connection?. Gareth

post-8435-1136152963.jpg

Gareth,

Thanks for this. No obvious connection jumps out at me but I will check when I get home tomorrow.

Martyn

Hi Mike,

Having done some more research I have discovered that 40 men who were attached to the 171st Tunnelling Company Royal Engineers from the 3rd Monmouthshire's were actually themselves transferred to the Royal Engineers at the the end of May 1915.

So it would appear that your grandfather's service with the 3rd Battalion Monmouthshires ended then upon his transfer to the R.E. where his new service number would have been issued to him.

I have PM'd you what I know about the tunnelling exploits of the 3rd Batt at Hill 60 during March and April 1915.

If I can be of any further help then do not hesitate to ask

Kind regards

Martyn

Hi Martyn, Iwas just wondering about a possible connection with the RE in Abergavenny as I saw in Regiments and I quote " 1908.04.01 3rd Battalion, The Monmouthshire Regiment

transferred to T.F. with HQ at Abergavenny, part of the corps of The South Wales Borderers (Blaenavon coy moved to 2nd Bn) A Company at Abergavenny". So presumably there must have been some sort of barraks or camp there. Gareth

• 5 months later...

Martyn

Hi I have my grandfathers medals and know he was in the 3rd mons 1914, but dont know where he finished up after they disbanded.

In 1914 he was Pte W. J. Hemms (William James) no 1291. His brother Alfred no 1293 also 3rd mons.

Can you direct me anywhere on-line or does it have to be a visit to Kew?

Regards Dave Underwood

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

I do have your grandfather and uncle listed on my database.

1291 Pte WJ Hemms

1293 L/Cpl A Hemms

Both it would appear were transferred to the 2nd Mons after the 3rd were disbanded in 1916.

I will PM you with some info on what the 3rd Mons did during the war and also with the address of another forum member who will be able to provide further details of the 2nd Mons.

Kind regards

Martyn

• 1 year later...

Any info on this Battalion I am happy to do any look ups.

Just thought I'd let you all know

Martyn

Any info on this Battalion I am happy to do any look ups.

Just thought I'd let you all know

Martyn

Hi

Forgive me but I'm a bit ignorant about military things, and would appreciate any help. My Grandfather Percy Vescount served in WW1, I have a copy of his MIC which states he was a Pte in the Monmouth Regiment, no idea what battalion. He had 3 regiment numbers, 2904,15821 and 267708. At the timeof WW1 he was living in Blaina, South Wales.

He died over 25 years ago and I remember he would never discuss his time in the army.

Many thanks

Angie

Hi Angie

Your grandfather seems to have moved between the three Monmouthshire Battalions. The 267708 number is a 2nd Monmouthshire number but he also served with the 3rd and 1st Mons. He was also attached to the 174 Tunn Coy at some point. In the absent voters list he is listed as 1st Mons.

Hope this is of use

Dave

Hi Martyn,

Second lieutenant Charles Constantin Lionel Straker. Any mention?

DOW 07/07/16 with the 3rd Monmouths. I've ordered a copy of the history on inter-library loan, so I don't need a great deal of detail, but like a kid waiting for Christmas I'm dying to know if he's in there!

I have a photo of him as a schoolboy and I know he was from the Straker family of auctioneers in Abergavenny.

Thanks,

Bob.

Hi Angie

Your grandfather seems to have moved between the three Monmouthshire Battalions. The 267708 number is a 2nd Monmouthshire number but he also served with the 3rd and 1st Mons. He was also attached to the 174 Tunn Coy at some point. In the absent voters list he is listed as 1st Mons.

Hope this is of use

Dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks for your reply, it's really kind of you to take time to find out for me. I hope you won't mind if I ask a couple of other things. Why would somebody move between the three battalions? Forgive my ignorance who were the 174 Tunn Coy?

Thank you

Angie

Martyn

Hello Martyn,

A friend of mine has asked me to find out anything about a distant soldier relative of his, & has lent me some documents regarding his service with the 3rd Mons. I have looked through your excellent website and I have downloaded a copy of his MIC. If I list the information we already have on him could you look him up for us to see if there is anything else to add?

Pte. Daniel Skinner, 3rd Monmouthshire Regt., born Bedwellty nr. Ebbw Vale, enlisted 23rd of February 1909 & was employed by the Ebbw Vale Company as a labourer prior to embodiment.

He had two service nos., 714 & 290059.

A small piece of paper with his certificates mention that he was aged 55 in 1940 so he must have been born 1885.

His total service in the Territorial Force was 8 years 131 days including 2 years 332 days embodied service.

Service abroad, viz., in France - years 211 days. MIC shows entitlement to 1914-15 Star, B.W.M. & V.M.

Discharge certificate stamped OFFICER I/C RECORDS WELSH DIVISION SHREWSBURY 2 - JUL. 1917 states "is discharged in consequence of Termination of Engagement AL Is 316 and 787 of 1917 para 392 xxi Kings Regulations".

On the back of his Discharge Certificate it says:-

NOTICE

The attention of soldiers who have taken their discharge on termination of engagement, but who are physically fit for service, is drawn to the great need for trained men with the largely expanded Armies which have been called into being since the outbreak of War.

It is hoped that such men will decide to return to the Colours with as little delay as possible, and so add to the services they have already rendered to their King and country.

No pressure then! We do not know what he did after July 1917, would he have been liable to conscription?

ARABIS.

Hi Angie,

He was definately a 3rd Mons man who was transferred over to the 2nd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment in 1916 when the 3rd was disbanded. Unfortunately I don't have any specific info on him but if you like I can send you a precis of what the 3rd Monmouths did during the war.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Willywombat (Bob),

I do have a photo of Lt Straker. Please send me your email and I will forward it on to you.

Kind regards

Martyn

Hi Arabis,

Thank you for the very kind comments about the website I'm glad you liked it.

I have the following which refers to your friends relative.........

This is taken from a letter written by Sgt Major TE Banks giving an account of his work during the first period in the fire trenches.........

"We have just come out of the trenches. We went in last Friday so we have had a fair share of it...I am pleased to tell you I have just been congratulated for bringing a wounded man out of the trenches and taking him back to the dressing station - a mile back - in broad daylight and above all who do you think it was - Youn Pocock....He was with another sergeant in a support trench behind my fire trench and he got shot right through - the bullet passing through his lung. This was in the morning 9 am....He would have died if he had been left until night, so I crawled out under fire to where he was, dressed his wound and crawled to let my captain (Capt RO Gardner) know... a chap belonging to the King's Own volunteered to come back to the support trenches with me. We had no stretchers, so took a brushwood fascine from a trench with us, - the task was to get him out. So two more of the boys - Dan Skinner and Sullivan volunteered to come back to our headquarters with us, so we started out. We had not gone far when the Germans opened a heavy fire on us, so we dropped down in a ditch, and, the fascine being so heavy, we made a stretcher of two branches and our putties and managed to get him away all right"

Pte Pocock unfortunately died of his wounds. He was just 16 years old.

Arabis does your friend have a photo of Pte Skinner??

Kind regards

Martyn

Certainly is Tafski.

Amazing how things come around isn't it

Martyn

Arabis,

I have been trawling through some copied paperwork and I discovered that the letter I quoted to you last night was also published in the Abergavenny Chronicle dated Fri 30th April 1915. If your friend so desires I will have it copied and sent on.

Regards

Martyn