Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

ID tag ??

Steve121

Hi guys. My sister and I have been sorting out some old tins left by a late Aunt. We came across this brown fibre thingy, I presume it is an ID tag. It is very good condition with no wear marks at all. Can anybody shed any light on it's possible origins etc. The name "Burchall R P" mean nothing to us at all, as our family name is Smith and our Aunts maiden name was Goodburn.

I have been a "lurker" on this site for a while now and have just taken the plunge and registered. So I offer thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

Steve.

post-7947-1126027584.jpg

Hello

welcome

I have search the ww1 medal index cards for this name/number and there is no match - sorry

Ian

It's a WW2 tag (pre - 1950, but post 1920) to a soldier who originally enlisted in the Royal Artillery.

dave.

Royal artillery, no idea on that one. Family lived near Lympne airport in Kent during WW2, Uncle in local fire service so could have been dropped by somebody in training and picked up, who knows? We'll put it back in the tin along with a few other mysterious odds 'n' sods for safe keeping.

Thanks again guys.

Steve.