Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Annals of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps

stiletto_33853

Christine,

Just glad that it was of some use to you.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Could you please see if there is information about the 21st Bn, and the events leading up to the battle of Flers 15/09/1916. This was the date of death of rifleman Joseph Neall, whose nephew I spoke to earlier today.

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is the information the annals give, nothing on the days before though.

Andy

post-1871-1128183036.jpg

Hope this helps a little Dave.

Andy

That's great Andy, many thanks. Rifleman Joe Neall, who died that day, is on the right of the middle row below.post-7552-1128204367.jpg

Dave,

Nice picture, was B.G.S. 1912 - 13 a school football team ??

Andy

Brigg Grammar School (now Sir John Nelthorpe Comp!) At least one other of the team died, at Passchendaele. The building in front of which they are standing is still part of the school. The picture was supplied by a pupil who is learning about her Great Great Uncle.

Dave

Dave,

Nice picture, I hope the pupil learns some more about her great great uncle.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

I wonder if you can find any mention of this officer who died of wounds on 15/9/1916, perhaps wounded at Delville Wood. His details are:

George Richards Griffiths

=================

GRIFFITHS

Initials: G R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Additional information: Son of David Richards Griffiths, of Holborn, London; husband of Florence Elizabeth Griffiths, of 24, Brisbane Avenue, Merton Park, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 10.

Cemetery: COUIN BRITISH CEMETERY

Many thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

No mention of him at Delville Wood. 1st KRRC all withdrawn on 29th July, they had lost 14 Officers, Captain and Adjutant A.H. Brocklehurst died of his wounds, other officers killed were Captains E.L. Howee, R.H. Slater, Lieutenant C. Collins, 2nd Lieuts A.Y. Bailey, C.R.S. Turner, 3rd Dorsets attached, and J.W.E. Paul. Wounded were Lietenant Hon. F.S. Trench, 2nd Lieuts H.E. Gill, 3rd Dorsets attached, W.J. Taylor, J.E.M. Skinner, C. Witt, T.I. Stevenson and N.H. Noble.

Will dig a bit for you.

Andy

Hi Chris,

No mention of him at Delville Wood. 1st KRRC all withdrawn on 29th July, they had lost 14 Officers, Captain and Adjutant A.H. Brocklehurst died of his wounds, other officers killed were Captains E.L. Howee, R.H. Slater, Lieutenant C. Collins, 2nd Lieuts A.Y. Bailey, C.R.S. Turner, 3rd Dorsets attached, and J.W.E. Paul. Wounded were Lietenant Hon. F.S. Trench, 2nd Lieuts H.E. Gill, 3rd Dorsets attached, W.J. Taylor, J.E.M. Skinner, C. Witt, T.I. Stevenson and N.H. Noble.

Will dig a bit for you.

Andy

Andy,

Thanls for getting the case. Delville Wood was just a guess. All depends on how long the poor man suffered.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Have to agree, lets hope his suffering was not too long, will see what I can find for you.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Chris,

Have to agree, lets hope his suffering was not too long, will see what I can find for you.

Andy

Andy,

Just wondering if you were able to find any mention of Lt. G.R. Griffiths 1st BN KRRC DOW 15/0/1916

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

Still digging, I will be up at Kew this week sometime and was going to pull his papers for you.

Andy

Chris,

Still digging, I will be up at Kew this week sometime and was going to pull his papers for you.

Andy

Andy,

If you do get to the NA and pull his papers, that would be very much appreciated. I'd be really interested to confirm a local connection. apart from any other details.

Many Thanks,

Chris.

Chris,

Ran out of time at Kew but should be there again next week so will do it then. Time goes by so damn quickly when you are digging.

Andy

Chris,

Ran out of time at Kew but should be there again next week so will do it then. Time goes by so damn quickly when you are digging.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for keeping me in mind. Perhaps next week then, if your get the chance.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

It will be high on my list to get the next time I am there.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy

I was wondering if you had any mention of where the KRRC were in Dec 1914, my g.g.uncle Charles William Page 11941 2nd Bn KRRC he was killed on 31 Dec 1914 but I have no more details than that. Any info at all would be much appreciated

regards

Min

Min,

Nothing in the Annals of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps for that date. Ray Westlake in his book "British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914" says this of December

Moved in buses to Zelobes (20th). Marched to Le Coutre then into close support at Rue de Bois north of Givenchy. "C" and "D" Companies moved forward to front line (22nd), remainder to billets in Rue d'Epinette. Relieved (23rd) and to Essar. To Cambrin (26th) and relieved 1st Kings Liverpool in trenches running from the Bethune - La Bassee road to the La Bassee Canal. The Chronicle records that the Battalion was much troubled by enemy sniping. A draft of men from Rhodesia and other overseas dominions hed recently arrived and a number of these men were chosen for duty as snipers.

Andy

Hi Andy

I was wondering if you had any mention of where the KRRC were in Dec 1914, my g.g.uncle Charles William Page 11941 2nd Bn KRRC he was killed on 31 Dec 1914 but I have no more details than that. Any info at all would be much appreciated

regards

Min

Hi Min,

My grandfather, Thomas William Smith was in 2KRRC throughout the war. I have a copy of the War Diary. I will check it tomorrow and forward details.

Mike

Min,

Nothing in the Annals of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps for that date. Ray Westlake in his book "British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914" says this of December

Moved in buses to Zelobes (20th). Marched to Le Coutre then into close support at Rue de Bois north of Givenchy. "C" and "D" Companies moved forward to front line (22nd), remainder to billets in Rue d'Epinette. Relieved (23rd) and to Essar. To Cambrin (26th) and relieved 1st Kings Liverpool in trenches running from the Bethune - La Bassee road to the La Bassee Canal. The Chronicle records that the Battalion was much troubled by enemy sniping. A draft of men from Rhodesia and other overseas dominions hed recently arrived and a number of these men were chosen for duty as snipers.

Andy

Thanks Andy that's alot more than I've managed to find so far.