Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sargent william schofield

Guest stella2

Hi there,

They got them for a number of reasons.

Before the war it was through seniority and NCO cadres (course) etc.

During the war it could be through experience, age or occupation, especially with the Kitchener Battalions when they first joined. I.E if you were a veteran of another campaign or had seen service in the army you would be promoted, but this was not always the case.

As the war progressed, and as casualties mounted, it was through whoever was left, or again through seniority. Some were just sent on NCO cadres as per pre war.

Many went through the ranks, starting as a private and ending up a commissioned officer, again a lot of this was due to the attrition rate.

If you'd like to laern a lot more about how this all went then I'd recommend reading these 2 books:

The First Day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook

Tommy by Professor Richard Holmes.

Both of these books are excellent.

Steve

Stella,

Did he die in WWI, or died he survive?

Do you know his service number etc?

Steve

When a vacancy occurred on the establishment (the number of men that was specified for any particular rank) the most suitable candidate would be selected for promotion to that rank. In a platoon, say, the platoon commander might find himself short of a lance corporal to make up his allowed number and he would confer with his sergeant and corporals and they`d come up with a name. And the lucky man would be off to the tailors to have stripes sewn on. Phil B

When a vacancy occurred on the establishment (the number of men that was specified for any particular rank) the most suitable candidate would be selected for promotion to that rank. In a platoon, say, the platoon commander might find himself short of a lance corporal to make up his allowed number and he would confer with his sergeant and corporals and they`d come up with a name. And the lucky man would be off to the tailors to have stripes sewn on. Phil B

Until he went out on a drunk one night and ended up losing them, and starting all over again!

Stella,

Did he die in WWI, or died he survive?

Do you know his service number etc?

Steve

hi steve

i actually know very little about my great granddad,all i can tell you is that i actually have two drawings of william one must be at the begining of the war where he has no stripes and another with sargent stripes, but i don't know the time scale in between. i would like to say thankfully he didn't die in the war, but he didn't survive much longer he died on the 14/12/1919. i have also asked some time ago on this same site about one of his cloth badges as it seems to be slightly unusual he has the initals SG on his right arm. hope you can help

kellie

Kellie,

What might help is if you can post the drawings on this site?

If you can't do that then PM me and I will send you my email address. I will then post the images on your behalf.

I've provided you with a link to what the 6th Battalion did in WWI.

http://www.1914-1918.net/13div.htm

Looking at the SDGW database there is no listing for a William Schofield on that date, the nearest match being one in 1917.

A search of the PRO shows 2 possibles:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...r=1&querytype=1

Anything that you may have, however small, might help.

Steve

HI my grandad was William Scholfield not same spelling is it SG might be Scots Guards go to medal indexes at documents on line abd tap his name in you might get lucky lucky

Can you post copies of the pictures Stella?

Rgds

Tim