Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bronze War Medal.

dplatt

Would someone let me know how, or indeed if, it was recorded on MIC if a man was awarded a bronze war medal rather than the usual silver one and how the notation appears?

I believe most of these were awarded to Empire troops but I think that some (how many I don't know - that's another question!) were awarded to British troops.

Also, what were the necessary conditions for a British soldier to be awarded a bronze rather than a silver?

Regards,

David.

The British War Medal 1914~1920;In Bronze was awarded to Native Labour Corps Labourers,eg:Maltese,Chinese,Egyptian,Indian;etc; & Other Natives employed by the Military receiving Military Rates Of Pay,for Labouring Duties,around 110,000 were awarded,I have never seen or heard of them being awarded to British/Empire/Commonwealth Nationals as Soldiers{you may be confusing it with the Territorial Force War Medal,which was also Bronze & awarded to those serving or enlisting to Serve before I think September 25th 1914,who then went on to serve overseas but not receive a 1914 or 1914~15 Star,around 34,000 were awarded}

Thanks for that, Harry.

When I re-read the info on the War Medal I find that you are only spot on and that I had misread it initially.

Of course it was only issued as you rightly say, to 'Native Labour Corps Labourers'.

Were these recorded on MIC as were soldiers' medals?

Why were they issued in bronze rather than silver, just a question of cost or to differentiate fighting men to labourers? I've seen enough graves to give evidence of the risks these labourers ran.

Regards,

David.

My Fiji Labour Corps men have Medal Index Cards.

They only received one medal each- the Bronze War Medal

So, although I haven't called up any of the cards, I presume the medal is mentioned on each card.

If anyone wants to check, you can find them under Corps- Fiji Labour Corps!

CORRECTION;

I have just bought the copy of the MIC for one of the Fiji Labour Corps- Saula Moka- a policeman, as I have also just obtained a photo of Sgt Sola- wearing 2 medals at Armistice Day in the 1920s. I am hoping they are the same person.

According to the MIC, he received a British medal - Colf(?) 180A

It definitely does not say Bronze. All the other MICs in the group say Bze besides British. They are all SANLC men

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...2/14/0/8546.pdf

So, did he get a Silver British War Medal or a Bronze British War Medal?

A Bronze War Medal- origins unknown

post-554-1125945137.jpg

Why were they issued in bronze rather than silver, just a question of cost or to differentiate fighting men to labourers?  I've seen enough graves to give evidence of the risks these labourers ran.

The issue of Bronze Medals to Labourers & Camp Followers is a throwback to early times,when Native Labour was deemed of a much lower standing to that of Fighting Troops,Victorian Bronze Campaign Medals especially those for the Indian Campaigns of the 1840s~90s were awarded to Grasscutters,Muleteers,Syces,Dhobi Wallahs,Water Carriers,Cooks,etc;,virtually all types of Military Camp Servant & Labourer,in these PC times it is abhorrent that People would be considered a different Class in respect of being awarded Campaign Medals but @ that time it was considered the norm.

I suspect that some MiC relate to Bronze Medal recipients,something I have never researched personally.it would in all cases be their Only Campaign award.

Please look at my correction to my previous post.

Sergeant Sola

What medals is he wearing? - photo taken about 1926/27

post-554-1126167059.jpg

Edited by christine liava'a

I would think that the medal on his right breast is the bronze war medal. It gives the appearance of polished bronze rather than silver to me but that's just MHU!

The medal on his left breast may be a long-service police medal. I'll check as far as I can but that would be my initial guess.

Regards,

David.

But the ribbon looks different, even in b&w. What was the Silver War Medal ribbon like?

What was the Silver War Medal ribbon like?

the Medal worn on the opposite breast would be an Unofficial{ie not recognised by the State}award,it could be a local Police Medal or something like a Royal Humane Society Bronze Medal for Saving Life? [it does apear to have a similar Scroll suspender]

BWM Ribbon is

like this! ;) It does take on the same appearance of your Mans ribbon in B&W photographs,as only the Blue{shows Black/Dark Grey},White & Orange{shows Grey} show up,the black line merges with the Blue