Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

301st US Tank Battalion

Bryn_Hammond

Is there anyone out there who could tell me who commanded the 301st - especially during the period from September 1918 to the Armistice?

I have seen a reference to a Lt.-Col Henry E. Mitchell as the 'commander of the American heavy tanks' but I'd like to confirm whether or not he is the correct guy.

Thanks, in anticipation

Bryn

Good morning Bryn

According to Dale E Wilson's Treat 'Em Rough, Mitchell was succeeded by the 301st's tactical officer, Major Ralph I. Sasse, on 9 September 1918. Mitchell left to observe the 1st Tank Brigade's participation in St Mihiel before taking command of 2nd Tank Bde.

Regards

Simon

Simon

Thanks very much. Hope you're well.

This allows me to complete one of the orbats I've been working on, so I'm very grateful. However, if you or anyone else can confirm whether this gentleman was still in command at the end of the war, I'd also welcome it.

How's life otherwise? You should work in a national museum - you know lots of stuff :rolleyes:

Bryn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bryn

Wilson says Sasse was in command for the 301st's last attack on 23 October and so it looks as if he was in command at the Armistice.

I am well thank you, I shall look you up when I am next in your area. Off to France tomorrow, a walking holiday in the Vosges.

best wishes

Simon

• 9 years later...
Guest JohnS3rd

Does anyone have photo’s of the US 301st Tank Battalion during it’s operations in the Somme Offensive. From what I have seen the unit had Mark V’s (Male and Female) at the time. I’m also looking for the unit rosters, histories or logs as well . I’m in the process of trying to track down one of its unit members. His name is Ira Lee Engle, he started out in the Field Artillery with the 10th FA until April 1918, he was eventually transferred to first the 302nd and eventually to Co C of the 301st where he participated in the Somme Offensive. Any Subject Matter Experts advice or information on US Heavy Tank’s would be greatly appreciated. It seems not much is written about them because they were attached to the BEF along with the US 27th and 30th Divisions.

Thanks in advance!

John