Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Hesketh

9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion

jdajd

Thank You Thank You Thank You. I have wanted to see the diary for the 9th for some time now. I am planning a trip to the Somme next summer to coincide with their attack on High Wood. This will be a huge help.

Andrew Hesketh

I'm glad it's of use. I've got no personal interest, I just came across it on Google whilst searching for some farms near Passchendaele! Sometimes you just hit the jackpot.

James Brown

Thanks for sharing that Andrew.

Good account of the 20 May 1917: attack at Croisilles.

And the Btn's first engagement on the Somme - 15 July 1916: The attack at High Wood.

James

PPCLI

Additionally, for those interested, the history of the 9th Bn. Highland Light Infantry: "Shoulder to Shoulder - The Glasgow Highlanders 1914 - 1918" is also available for download as a word file. See the following link HLI/RSF resources

A very big thank you to the Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum for putting these resources online and to Alec Weir who transcribed the war diary and who has collated information from WO 329 on all ORs (and some officers) who served with the Glasgow Highlanders during the Great War (also available for download - Excel spreadsheet).

Hope this is of interest,

Stuart

Peter Beckett

Andrew,

many thanks for those links as it backs up my research for the involvement of the 22nd Manchesters at High Wood

Peter :)

jdajd

Thank you Thank you Thank you . . . again. :D I also have no personal attachment to the Regiment per se. I have no family etc who served, but I became very interested with them after reading The Hell They Called High Wood. I was able to find a copy of Courage Past at the New York Public Library and these new documents will be very helpful.

Jon

roger

Thanks for posting those links Andrew and stuart.

One of the men on Bedale War memorial was in 9/HLI.

GEORGE MEGSON

Private 241708

9/(Glasgow Hds.) Bn., Highland Light Infantry, KIA Tuesday 25 September 1917. Age 30

Husband of Edith Alice Wallis (formerly Megson), of 14, Durham St., East Hartlepool, Co. Durham.

Born, Bedale. Enlisted, Richmond. Resided, Catterick.

1901 Census Grocers apprentice living in Sussex Street, Bedale.

HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Roger.

Malcolm

These are amazing resources which I would have paid good money for from , say, N&M Press. A donation to the RHF Museum is in order I think.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm

Just found an entry for one of my local men.

Surname CHISHOLM

Firstname James

Service number 241894

Date of death 25/09/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Juniper Green

Other 9th Bn. (T.).

SNWM roll THE HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

CHISHOLM, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th (Glasgow Hds.) Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1917

Service No: 241894

Additional information: Son of Alexander and Agnes Smith Chisholm, of Juniper Green, Midlothian; husband of Mary A. Chisholm, of Rutherford House, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 131 to 132.

Cemetery: TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Diary entry.

[25 September 1917: front line at Polygon Wood]

Impossible to get runners beyond support line by day.

About 5.30am hostile barrage renewed and enemy attacks on a front of about 2 miles.

We break up his attack on our front and drive him back with Lewis gun and rifle fire, except on our Right where he gained a footing in the Queens strong point and we lose several men and had several (say 20 captured.)

Enemy aeroplanes were flying very low over our lines co-operating with his attacking troops. None of ours appeared until 8am. Front line was reinforced by part of C Coy and a few men of B Coy. A party from Headquarters managed to get water and rations from JACKDAW DUMP.

Aye

Malcolm

roger

Hello Malcolm,

pretty sure a VC was awarded to a member of 9/HLI on this date.

Will get back to you, unless someone else is quicker.

Roger.

Malcolm

Roger,

A brave man who seems to have survived!

Aye

Malcolm

DMcNay

Some excellent resources to be found there. The library catalogue is well worth a look through. I should take a trip in there sometime soon.

The museum itself is well worth a visit.

Guest simmer

Just wanted to add my thanks for the link and to Alec Weir and the Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum for making it available on the internet. I have been researching my great Uncle Tommy, Private Thomas Forbes Sim who died on 15 July 1916 aged 20 and with this forums help I am presuming that he died in the battle for High Wood. I shall be paying the museum a call soon and am also planning to visit High Wood with some of my family on the anniversary of his death. It would have taken me a long time to get the same information without the help of this forum.

I would really like to find out when and where he enlisted, has anyone any suggestions where I might look? I have already spent many hours in the library at Kirkintilloch researching my Dad's football career and will call in again to look at the local papers of the time to see if he gets a mention.

In Memory of

Private THOMAS FORBES SIM

331434, 9th (Glasgow Hdrs.) Bn., Highland Light Infantry

who died age 20

on 15 July 1916

Son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Sim, of 27, Laverockhall St., Springburn, Glasgow.

Remembered with honour

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Wullie
On 01/09/2005 at 20:09, jdajd said:

Thank You Thank You Thank You. I have wanted to see the diary for the 9th for some time now. I am planning a trip to the Somme next summer to coincide with their attack on High Wood. This will be a huge help.

Long shot here but do you have these as the link no longer works?