Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Records

Guest briandownes

Guest briandownes

Hi had a uncle who served in the territorials in 1914(Northants Batt.) He came out in May 1914 to join the West Yorks Police. I know he served in the war because his police record in 1919 recorded the fact. Now I have found his Territorial army record in Kew some time back, which finished in 1914. But there was no record that I found of any war service. I have been given to understand that his war service records should have been with his territorial records, ie carried on. Can anyone confirm that. Or would he have had a separate record for his war service.

Many thanks Brian Downes

Brian

Another research resource may well be your local council minute books for the period. Unlike today, police forces were run on a local basis with their own Chief Constable, who in turn was responsible to the local Watch Committee.

Police officers who enlisted, were killed in action, wounded, or who retired were often mentioned in council minute books, simply because of the financial implications.

For what its worth, council minute books often reveal a great deal about military and social activities directly connected or affected by the war, even though it can make for very dry reading. Also look out for the Chief Constables Annual Report, which can often be quite revealing.

Terry Reeves

Brian

It's worth checking with Geoff Foster, who has done a lot of research into the Surrey & Sussex Police, on his war memorial web-site. I'm sure if you contact Geoff he will be able to answer your question.

His website address is www.thinblueline.org.uk

Alan Seymour