Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW's

Guest thehynes

I am researching a relative who was captured by the Germans whilst serving with the Royal Warwickshire's in May 1917 and was repatriated in December 1918. Apart from this I know nothing of his time in captivity. I am going to go through the Red Cross archives and attempt to find where he was held. Can any of you suggest any good books which cover the lot of POW's held by the Germans during WW1?

One possibility is the local newspaper for the area where he lived which may be available at the relevant local studies library. Lots of information if you have the time to go through them.

Allied POWs in Germany.

Look at The Prisoners 1914-1918 by Robert Jackson, ISBN 0-415-03377-2 1989.

Gives a good insight to to the Rules of War and Capture and Treatment of POWs.

It also has a chapter on German Prisoners in Britain and a list of the Principal POW Camps in Germany,1914-1918.

I do not know if this list includes the camps where French POWs were imprisoned. I am trying to trace the POW camp where a British POW died.He was reported as being buried in the French POW Cemetery, Wesel. Alas I cannot find the camp from the otherwise extensive list of POW Camps given.

Regards

Frank East

The PRO at Kew has an index of repatriated soldiers etc who were interviewed on return about the conditions they were held in. If your man is in there (maybe/maybe not) I understand you will be able to view his interview record. The indexes also contain references to conditions/actions at particular camps. Might be worth a try if desperate.

Bernard Lewis