Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Last WW1 Veteran

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The sad news this week of Jack Davis passing away has given me the incentive to visit my two elderly great-aunts 98 & 103 respectively to talk about their memories of the War, the elder one worked with the Canadians. Both were married to veterans who have long since joined the Battalion in the sky. The knowledge and memories they have will be lost forever unless I act now.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Ian :ph34r:

Ian

I don't have anyone from WW1 but we also have to be mindful that the WW2 guys and girls are getting very old now aswell

Michael

Ian

A thought... when you asked your elderly great aunts, did you record the session?

Prempting any replies to your thread... whilst I am not in contact with any WW1 veteran, male or female, I am acutely aware of oral history and the fact that soon it may be lost forever.

Could we not collate even here by email/thread how many people could be recorded for posterity, from any walk of life and from that age, and set up a method of recording them and making them available as in a sound library. I am conscious of some WW1 vets having been recorded continually to appear on TV and recently in the case of Pte Nugent on the radio. But there must be others out there in Canada, Australia, Germany, Austria, India, France, Belgium the list goes on...

Having been fortunate to record my dad before he died about his childhood in WW1, and in 1987 one of the last survivors of the Titanic (on the 75th anniversary), the record is there from people who are there and I feel that we as a Forum, should try to put such a project together.

If you feel that this might be a way forward then can we make a list of people who might be part of the recording process. Men or women who have memories... French/Belgian civilians on being occupied it doesnt matter...

Its all part of the jig saw that made up the war...

John

Guest Hill 60
Is anyone else in the same boat?

Unfortunately my grandfather, who was badly wounded in 1917, died in 1981, just before I got interested in the war.

My other grandfather, who served in WW2, died 5 years ago this week and didn't like to talk about it.

My father was born in 1933 (same day Hitler took power) and has spoken about watching dogfights, V1's, German bombers and the D-Day air armada.

To sit in his old bedroom and look out of the same window he looked out of in those dark days as he recalled it all was quite moving.