Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Bn Worcestershire Regiment (Transpor Workers)

dave ricketts

On the Absentee Voters List, I have one Private in the 15th Bn, Worcestershire Regiment. Can someone (Ivor?) let me know what they were up to, and where, at the time of compilation of 1918 Electoral Register?

Thanks,

Dave

I've got a copy of Stacke Dave - but you'll need to remind me when the register was completed.

Cheers

Simon

Dave

As far as I am aware the 15th were located at Southampton Docks but TW battalions sent small groups of men where ever employers needed them so men could be working at other locations in the area. As far as I am aware there are no records left!

Simon,

I would be intrested in knowing what Stacke says about either the 15th or 16th Battalions.

I thought I had checked Stacke but cannot find any notes on it.

Thanks

Ivor

Hello Ivor / Dave:

There's not a great deal....But hope it's of some use to you.

Best,

Simon

Stacke p.47

Later in the War, as the organization of the country for war became more complete, and the munitions organization became more visibly the heart of the national effort, formed bodies of men were needed to ensure the adequate transport and supply of those munitions to the troops overseas. Those new units were formed from skilled personnel unfit for field service, were organized as military bodies and received official designation in the usual manner; and thus there appeared in the Army List the 15th and 16th (Transport Workers) Battalions of the Worcestershire Regiment. (d). Although they never fought in the field, these units played their part in securing the success of the national effort in the war.

(d). The 15th Battalion was formed in December 1916 under the command of Captain (temp Lieut Colonel) PA Hopkins of the 13th London, with Captain (temp Major) GH Leigh, also of the London Territorials as 2nd-in-command and Captain WV Sherwell of the 3rd Devons as Adjutant. The latter appointment was taken over in November 1917 by Captain LC Holloway, and in July 1918 by Captain WA Phillips.

The 16th Battalion was formed in April 1917 under the command of Lieut.-Colonel C Stewart of the 6th HLI with Major HC Somerville as 2nd-in-command and Captain SF Wood as Adjutant. The later officer was not appointed until 1917.

Both battalions were employed on transport duties in the south of England, their headquarters being at Swindon for many months, afterwards shifting to the other traffic centres.

Gents,

Thanks for the info. I knew from the previous strand about TW Bns that info was scarce, but every little helps. I think that the 1918 Roll was assembled in February time, but can't point to a reference for this.

Dave

• 10 years later...

Pulling up an old post but I am trying to find out more on William Victor Sherwell. Here appointed Adjt of the 15th Worc's. I believe he joined the 15th Worc's from the 12th Devons but as yet unable to confirm.

Can anyone shed any light ?

Regards

Dave