Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Violetta Thurstan

Sue Light

Now that I have some time again, I'm starting to read "Field Hospital and Flying Column". 

Apart from her textbook and her Russian account "The Hounds of War Unleashed", are there any other references (biography, memoirs?) about this lady? 

M.

14 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

Now that I have some time again, I'm starting to read "Field Hospital and Flying Column". 

Apart from her textbook and her Russian account "The Hounds of War Unleashed", are there any other references (biography, memoirs?) about this lady? 

M.

Not sure if she put any personal material in: Thurstan V. A text book of war nursing. London; New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1917; facsimile Charleston, SC. : Nabu Press, 2011 or Thurstan, V. The people who run: being the tragedy of the refugees in Russia. London; New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1916.

She gets a section in Hallett CE. Nurse writers of the Great War. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2016.

There is also Somerfield M, Bellingham A. Violetta Thurstan: a celebration (Newmill, Penzance: Jamieson Library, 1993), but this seems to be more about her civilian life as a  weaving, dying and textiles expert.

sJ

Thank you, oh trusted librarian !!!!! 

M.

:blush: Merci du compliment! It looks as if the last-mentioned book does cover her WWI experience - although there is a lot else to cover:  https://hypatia-trust.org.uk/news-archive/2012/12/11/violetta-thurstan-a-modern-day-renaissance-woman

Edited by seaJane

• 2 years later...

As copies of Violetta’s books concerning the War are rather scarce I thought members might like to see her 1916 account of the refugee crisis in Russia. Pre-Bolshevik revolution of course!

IMG_0834.jpeg.cbf44b7712e0b74e7ece45c4601380d6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2023 at 11:28, Dust Jacket Collector said:

might like to see

Indeed! Thank you! (what's it like to read?)