Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

51st Foot 1865 -1880,Where can I find info?

Jspencer

Hi,

on thw 1881 census the occupation if one of my relatives is gaven as 51st foot pensioner - he was 31 at the time so I'm guessing he was injured and pensioned off. I have no information at all, where they were fightng etc. someone mentioned the kings own Yorkshire infantry....that's about it. Any help or direction much appreciated.

Does anyone know if service records are available. I have spoken to someone on the net who's father was able to trace the joining up papers of a relative who fought at the battle of waterloo. It gave a short description of the gentleman "Of swarthy complection........" Next of kin... Wow!!

Michelle

"In 1857 the regiment embarked for India and landed at Bombay on New Year's Day, 1858. It served in India until 1867, having meanwhile taken part in the Umbeyla Expedition of 1863.

In 1872 it went out to India once more and served in the Jowaki campaign of 1877, and in the Afghan campaigns of 1878-80, including the capture of Ali Masjid. In 1887 it returned home. In the same year the title of the regiment was changed from the "Kings Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment)" to the designation of "The Kings Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry)"

Above is quoted from Chichester and Burges Short, page 638 "Records and Badges of the British Army" 1895.

(tripped over a sangar or collected a slug of hammered telegraph wire from a pathan, or...?)

Hope this helps.

DrB

:)

That's great thanks, I knew someone, somewhere would have a book! I'm guessing it says nothing about what they were up to between 1867 and 1872?

Thanks very much for the info......the library calls I think!

Regards Mich

Hi Michelle,

There might be some useful information to be found here.

Cheers,

Michael

Michelle

If your man was discharged to pension then there is a good chance his service record is in the National Archives at Kew. You can search the National Archive database using its search engine and this may show if it is there or not. What was his name as I could do a quick search?

If it isn't there you should be able to trace him in the muster lists and pay books of the regiment at Kew.

Cheers

Dominic

Michelle,

The 51st were in England from 1867 to 1870 and then moved to Ireland and in 1872 moved to India. Took part in the Jawaki operations 1877-78 and then in 2nd Afghan War, being present at Ali Musjid 1878. Took part in the Khyber Pass operations 1879-80.

Became 1st Bn, The Kings Own Light Infantry(South Yorkshire Regt) in 1881 under the Cardwell Reforms while still stationed in India.

Graham.