Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Chris,

With regard to Thomas Field, O/65, DOW 16/4/18 . I have been unable to find an entry in the Battalion Casualty returns for his injury as yet but a report of death received by the battalion from 24 General Hospital which I will scan for you in a bit and try looking further back for the report of his wounding. He could have been wounded in the March offensive where the casualty returns are sketchy.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks so much for the details about Thomas Field. Is there any particular significance to Field's service number, O/65, other than a very early recruit to the battalion?

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Nothing is known about the O and P prefix used by The Rifle Brigade, although at present I am working on the P prefix. The O prefix was only used for a very short time, the numbers range from O-1 to O-984, and they are spread out over a lot of battalions so the prefix was not solely for one battalion.

The RB and its sister regiment used to alternate number prefixes i.e.

A - KRRC

B - RB

C - KRRC

but the O and P are out of the usual sequence, so some work needed here to tie them down. The O prefix was my next project after the P's, the Regimental museum gives the usual "All our records were handed to Kew" with regard to queries about these letter prefixes.

Sorry that I cannot be more precise on this, but hopefully we will be able to sort these last two unknown prefix letters in the near future.

Andy

Chris,

With regard to HINES, Henry # 46474, 3rd Battalion, KIA 25/5/18. I do not have the war diary for this period on the 3rd but the War Service Record states the following.

On 17th April we marched to Woicourt to entrain for Ostreville, where training was carried out until 30th April. On 1st May we marched to Magnicourt and on 2nd May to Bully - Grenay where we remained in Divisional Reserve until the 13th when we went to Les Brebis. On the 18th we relieved the 8th Battalion Queens in the line opposite Lens. On the 30th we were relieved by the 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers and moved back to billets at Les Brebis.

Incidentally the number 46474 falls in the range of numbers allocated to either Territorials attached to the Corps of the Rifle Brigade or Transfers from other units and the training reserve 40432 to 58074.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Have now completed this battalions war diary, if anyone needs look ups pleased to do so.

Andy

Andy

If memory serves me right a platoon list (on loose sheets) is included towards the end of 1915. Could check 3 names for me please. Two are pro boxers Pte Billy Griggs and Sgt?Dick Rice;the other is Thomas Burns (rank unknown at that time, but later sergeant.) I'd like to know which platoon each belonged to. Thanks.

Libster

Hi Libster,

The list you mention at the end of 1915 is a nominal roll of the whole battalion and gives just companies. I have only been able to find S-8154 Rifleman Thomas Burns of B Company out of your list. There is no mention of either Rice or Griggs.

Andy

post-1871-1133041026.jpg

Hi Libster,

The list you mention at the end of 1915 is a nominal roll of the whole battalion and gives just companies. I have only been able to find S-8154 Rifleman Thomas Burns of B Company out of your list. There is no mention of either Rice or Griggs.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for the information which was very helpful. The probable reason that Griggs and Rice are not listed is that both had been wounded, Griggs in August and Rice in September 1915.

Libster

Hi Libster,

Just been through the 7th Casualty returns and cannot find Griggs or Rice in the Battalion casualty returns.

Andy

Hi Libster,

Just been through the 7th Casualty returns and cannot find Griggs or Rice in the Battalion casualty returns.

Andy

Andy

It's quite possible that the dates I mentioned were wide of the mark as the information came from boxing newspapers. On 18/8/15 Griggs was reported deafened and concussed by trench mortar fire and Rice was later reported as being "recently" wounded (no other details.)

On the subject of 7th Battalion casualties, are there any references to either 8155 Rifleman William Ashton or 8156 (L/Pl or possibly Sgt) Joseph Durham in the returns? The former was reported severely wounded on 7/8/15 in a local newspaper. The latter might appear twice-shortly after 29/12/15 when he was buried alive at Lancashire Farm and I suspect in late 1917 possibly late Sept/early Oct when Thomas Burns was killed. All three worked together and joined up at the same time. Thanks for the assistance.

Libster

Libster,

Have found Rifleman J. Durham, S/8156 in the Nominal Roll for Decemeber 1915. I will look again to see if I can find the others but so far no joy.

Andy

post-1871-1133282502.jpg

Libster,

Have found Rifleman J. Durham, S/8156 in the Nominal Roll for Decemeber 1915. I will look again to see if I can find the others but so far no joy.

Andy

Andy

Thanks again for the attachment. Are you aware of the existence of two unpublished 7th battalion diaries at the IWM? They cover almost the entire period of the war diary and provide an interesting alternative viewpoint. Sgt Arthur James Munt kept his 41 page diary from May 1915 to September 1916 (ref: 82/11/1) and Lt Gilbert Flemming kept his 40 page diary from December 1916 to April 1918 (ref: 82/30/1.) If you want anything cross-referencing from either, please let me know.

Libster

Hi Libster,

Thank you for letting me know, I was aware of the Gilbert Fleming Dairy but not the one by A.J. Munt.

These resources are invaluable as an alternative source and have been very helpful in clarifying certain aspects of the life of the Battalion. I have many memorial books in my book collection, giving day to day accounts of the Battalion which are also a very valuable addition to the official Regimental version and sometimes give a far clearer account of a particular episode in a Battalions life, in and out of the trenches.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I've just spent a fascinating couple of days typing up my grandfathers War diary. I have been meaning to do this for years but never got round to it.

My grandfather, Arthur James Munt was in the 7th R.B. He came from a large family in rural Herts. After the war he worked for Shell in London. He was a keen gardener and enjoyed a very pleasant retirement.

He seems to have been a very competent diary keeper. Most days have an entry and his attention to detail is evident. He also seems to be a master of under-statement. 'Not a health resort' is how he describes one particular notorious location.

I have learnt a lot from doing this work. He seems to have experienced a few firsts - liquid fire, gas, and tanks as well as being in and around many well known places most of which are described in a very down to earth unsensationalist style.

The internet is an amazing resource and has helped me with place names etc.. If you are interested in reading please email me and let me know. I seem unable to add it as an attachment as it is a largish file.

I'm happy to email it. Requests to adam@muntap.wanadoo.co.uk.

One question which keeps cropping up in my mind was how did he manage to keep a diary? I assume it was a secretive exercise as he names places, people etc...? If it was I'm even more impressed and think it only right that others should be able to share my grandfathers diary. Adam Munt Dec 31st 2005

Andy / Libster

I've just read this thread. What an amazing coincidence that you mentioned my relative. I've only just found this site and more incredible that you should do so at the very time I have been typing up my G'fathers diary.

I didnt know the IWM had a copy of my grandfathers diary!

Adam Munt

Arthur Munt - 7 RB (War Diary 1915-1916) - Blog

I've just seen their is a blog system on this site. Rather than post the whole diary I'll copy extracts into the blog. Thought I'd try and post the entries every day on the same day my grandfather was writing. So the blog will start as 31/12 1915.....

When we get to May 27th I'll post an entry for 1915 and 1916. My Grandfather left Aldershot and set sail for Boulogne on "The Queen" 27th May 1915 so the first diary entry is 27th May.

Adam Munt

adam@muntap.wanadoo.co.uk

Edited by Adam M

Adam,

What a coincidence and I look forward to reading your relations diary very much.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

To help illustrate my blog I thought a few pictures may assist. To start with I thought I'd start with a picture of my grandfather taken in 1915

post-9944-1136840102.jpg

Adam,

What a great picture, thank you for posting it. Regarding your questions on our e mail the other day.

Yes I do have the casualty returns with your reletions name on it, I will e mail it to you.

Andy

Adam

I've only just picked up your messages and the brilliant photograph. It really is a remarkable coincidence that the diary should be mentioned the way it was. I have a platoon photograph taken on 10/8/16, just a few days before Arthur was wounded and I believe he's on it. My grandfather is nearby. Unfortunately it is framed and I'll have to dismantle the whole thing to be able to scan it, but will try to sort it out over the next few days. I've often wondered who the other riflemen in the picture were and now I can at last put a name to at least one of them!

Libster

Libster - thanks for your post. I'd love to see a platon photo. I have a few others which I will post when I get the opportunity. Who knows...your grandfather may be on these.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather was married on 17th January 1915. Copy of newspaper attached. He 'celebrated' his first wedding anniversary in Belgium nursing a poisoned thumb - see Blog entry.

post-9944-1138049049.jpg

• 5 years later...

Libster

I'm new to this forum and I may not fully understand how it works but, as I understand it, further up this thread you refer to the diary of Gilbert Flemming. A great uncle of mine, called Gilbert Flemming, served in the trenches and kept a diary, which we no longer have a copy of. My father thinks he remembers that Gilbert survived because he was sent on courses every time his batallion was involved in a big attack and that he found an improved method of wiring. Might this be the same person and do you know how I can find a copy?

Thanks

Thomas

Adam

I've only just picked up your messages and the brilliant photograph. It really is a remarkable coincidence that the diary should be mentioned the way it was. I have a platoon photograph taken on 10/8/16, just a few days before Arthur was wounded and I believe he's on it. My grandfather is nearby. Unfortunately it is framed and I'll have to dismantle the whole thing to be able to scan it, but will try to sort it out over the next few days. I've often wondered who the other riflemen in the picture were and now I can at last put a name to at least one of them!

Libster