Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Magazines

gporta

The Journal - The Rifle Brigade Association. Produced in June and December.

Andy

Guest Simon Bull
I read somewhere that Cambridge University has an exvellent collection of regimental magazines. A Google search led me to this extraxt:

"118 Trench Journals are included. These were often cyclostyle publications created at the front. Some bear evidence of having been read in the trenches before being mailed to Cambridge to form a part of this Collection. The titles of the journals conjure up images by themselves. Examples are: The Gasper; The Iodine Chronicle (journal of No 1 Canadian Field Ambulance); Chronicles of the NZEF; La Baïonette; Le Claque á Fond; Pulham Patrol; Anzac Bulletin; Breath o' the Heather; The Mudhook, incorporating the Dardenelles Dug-out Gossip; The Dead House Corner Gazette (Canadian BEF); Aussie; The Eaglet (US Forces Magazine); The Codford Wheeze; The Fag-End (NZEF); Poison Gas; The Wormlet; and The Whizz-bang."

No doubt many were produced on active service but "The Codford Wheeze", for example, was produced at Codford Camp, Wiltshire and "Poison Gas" was published by the 3/9th Queen Victoria's Rifles at Fovant.

Members living near to Cambridge (or, for that matter, Oxford) may like to

Moonraker are you able to give us a link to this item.? I have tired googling and cannot get to it, nor can I get to it on the Cambridge University Library website.

Mir-cat,

It was known pre-war as the Army Service Corps Journal, but they may have scaled it down during the War. Have you tried the Museum of Military Transport at Beverley, Yorks to see if they have copies?

Graham.

Unfortunately the museum is now closed down, but try the RLC museum as the RCT (formerly RASC) was a founder Corps