Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Magazines

gporta

Salutations,

I'd like to drop an idea.

In a recent thread, I asked about a few items of information regarding the 4th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment. Forum member Raster Scanning (John) told me of a few issues of the regimental magazine "The Wasp" which contained a story of the battalion during the Great War, and that copies of them could be located in the Bedford County Library.

Thanks to John's helpful suggestion, and the kind assistance of Bedford County Library's staff, I was able to read them. The articles were quite good, but, most interestingly, contained maps, pictures and information which were not in the War Diaries, and therefore was a very welcome complementary information.

This makes evident for me that regimental magazines are a source of information that should be borne into consideration.

Then the idea is the following: that all forum members who are aware of the existence of regimental (or units') magazines, and of places -Libraries, Record Offices, etc...- where these are held, would give the information about their existence, thus creating in this thread a reference list.

Forum Member Graham Stewart gave this interesting hint on the location of Regimental magazines: "It would appear from the SGG, that regiments did actually exchange their magazines with one another, and it the lead sheet of the SGG it states;-"We beg to acknowledge, with many thanks, the receipt of copies of the following papers"

and then gave me the following list:

- "St. Georges Gazette" the Regimental magazine of the Northumberland Fusiliers from 1884 to 1968 and it's offspring "The Fusilier" from 1968 up to the present day.

- "The Sapper" - Royal Egineers

- "Blighty" - ???

- "The London Scottish Regimental Gazette"

- "Globe & Laurel" - Royal Marine Light Infantry

- "ASC Magazine"

- "The Oak Tree" - Cheshire Regt?

- "The Sprig of Shillelagh" - Royal Irish Regiment?

- "Hampshire Regimental Journal"

- "The 79th News" - Q.O.Cameron Highlanders.

- "3rd Volunter Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers Magazine".

- "6th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers Magazine".

- "The Growler" - 16th Bn,N.F. magazine.

Further additions to that list are very welcome.

:)

Gloria

Welsh Division (the 38th) produced at least two year based magazines - 1917 & 1918.

A bit cryptic and some of the articles/jokes etc. need inside knowledge I guess as they don't mean much to me!

Bernard

H.L.I. Chronicle - Highland Light Infantry

Haven't seen copies myself, but another forum member was able to find information from one issue on MM awards to ORs at Neuve Eglise, April 1918.

I think that the regimental museum in Glasgow has a full set, but do not know of any other holdings.

Stuart

The Manchester Regt magazines were.

1st&2nd Batt. The Manchester Regt Gazette.

Vol 1. No1 May 1913- Vol 1. No 8 May 1915.

Vol 2. No 1 Jan 1921 Vol 11 No 7 July 1939.

Vol 11 No 8 Dec 1945 Vol 17 No 11 Sept 1958.

Suspended publication 1916-1920 and 1940-1944.

Index Vol 17 Mar 1956-Sept 1958.

Brit Lib has 95%. IWM has Vol 1 No 7 Nov 1914-1915. Dec 1945 Vol 12 No 1 Apr 1946-1958. Lib of MOD Full Set. NAM 1955.

3rd Batt Man Regt.

The Manchester Jester.

Vol 1. No 1 Mar 1902 Vol 1 No 8 Feb 1903.

Vol 2 No1 Mar-Apr 1903 Vol 2. No2 Feb 1904.

Manchester Lib Full set in 1985.

8th Batt Man Regt.

The Periscope.

Vol 1. No1 Oct 1916 Vol 3 No 4 Jan 1919.

Brit Lib Full set NAM 1918. Man Lib Nov 1916 & Oct 1918 in 1985.

2/6 Batt Man Regt.

The Sphinx and the Visiter.

Vol 1 No 1 Mar 1915 Vol 2 No 3 July 1916.

New series Vol 1 No 1 Sept 1917 Vol 2 No 1 Oct 1918.

Brit Lib 1915-1916, IWM 1915-1916, Manchester Lib 1917-1918 in 1985.

2/7 Batt Man Regt.

The Seventh Manchester Sentry ( Khartoum Sudan)

No 1 ( Jan 1915 No 6 July 1916.

continued by The Stand easy No 1 Aug 1916.

Brit Lib No 2 Feb 1915. IWM full set, Manchester Lib No 2 Feb 1915- No 5 May 1916 in 1985.

16th Batt Man Regt.

The Pull-Thro

No 1 July 1915 No 2 Aug 1915

I ve Got both.

19th Batt Man Regt.

The Very Light

No 1 Mar 1917.

Brit Lib No1.

1st Garrison Batt.

The Tanglin tribune.

Singapore.

No 1 June 1919 No 5 Oct 1919.

Brit Lib No 1-2 & No 5.

Hope this is ok

I read somewhere that Cambridge University has an exvellent collection of regimental magazines. A Google search led me to this extraxt:

"118 Trench Journals are included. These were often cyclostyle publications created at the front. Some bear evidence of having been read in the trenches before being mailed to Cambridge to form a part of this Collection. The titles of the journals conjure up images by themselves. Examples are: The Gasper; The Iodine Chronicle (journal of No 1 Canadian Field Ambulance); Chronicles of the NZEF; La Baïonette; Le Claque á Fond; Pulham Patrol; Anzac Bulletin; Breath o' the Heather; The Mudhook, incorporating the Dardenelles Dug-out Gossip; The Dead House Corner Gazette (Canadian BEF); Aussie; The Eaglet (US Forces Magazine); The Codford Wheeze; The Fag-End (NZEF); Poison Gas; The Wormlet; and The Whizz-bang."

No doubt many were produced on active service but "The Codford Wheeze", for example, was produced at Codford Camp, Wiltshire and "Poison Gas" was published by the 3/9th Queen Victoria's Rifles at Fovant.

Members living near to Cambridge (or, for that matter, Oxford) may like to consider the usefulness of the university libraries for research. I use Oxford as an alternative to the IWM when requiring books, OS maps and magazines and have a 95% success rate. Unless you're an university member, retired or disabled, one has to pay a fee, and everyone go es through a registration process (getting a photo-ID card).

Eight years ago I bumped into a former MOD librarian, Frederick Lake, who in 1985 had prepared a thesis: "Regimental Journals and Other Serial Publications of the British Army, 1660-1981, An Annotated Bibliography in Four Volumes". He told me copies had been sent to, among others, the Ogilby Trust (then at Winchester but now at the National Army Museum), the National Army Museum itself, the Imperial War Museum, RMA Sandhurst, and possibly the Prince Consort's Library, Aldershot.

Volume 1 is a 322-page essay; vol 2 (328 pages) covers the Regular Army in order of precedence from the Life Guards to the Green Howards; vol 3 (293 pages) deals with the Royal Highland Fusiliers through to the Ulster Defence Force, Royal Marines and disbanded units; and vol 4 (214 pages) covers auxiliary forces and establishments, institutions and subject index. That's quite some thesis! Locations of magazines are given, but Fred acknowledged that new info was becoming available all the time.

I have to pay £10 per six months for Cambridge and I am a pensioner.  Worth the money, but how come Oxford let a pensioner in buckshee?

Dunno. Can't recall what Oxford charges, but I think it's much less than this. I registered with the Oxford libraries when I was about 52 or 53 (and I like to think I look a bit younger than this???) and said I was retired (which was true) but was never asked for proof. After five years I had to renew the registration and the lady of a certain age in the office sniffed and said I was younger than she, but still allowed me to re-register. Nice to think I'm still trusted.

(Have just returned from a visit to the Miniature ony Centre on Dartmoor, where they knock £1.50 off the admission price for senior citizens. I was digging out my driving licence with date of birth of it when they said they would take my word for it. Perhaps I look older than I like to think?)

Gloria,

Just arrived today, nine monthly editions of possibly one of the rarest unit magazines - "The Luton Volunteer Gazette", which was part of the 2nd Bn, Bedfordshire Volunteer Regiment.

I have December 1916; Jan 1917; Feb 1917; April 1917; May 1917; June 1917; July 1917 and Oct & Nov 1917, which are a single volume. Aslo have the "Whitsun Camp Sovenir, 1917", which is half full of photo's.

Graham.

I've got a few miscellaneous examples in my collection, the latest being 3 copies of the Gazette of the 3rd London General Hospital (Sept; Oct & Nov 1917), and an April 1917 edition of the Artists' Rifles Journal.

Gloria's suggestion ties in with mine on another thread concerning the whereabouts of limited availabilty publications:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...topic=37026&hl=

Also, while I am in the company of regimental magazine browsers, may I ask a favour. I would be very interested to hear of articles concerning concert parties and other entertainments, and if you could let me know of any I would be very grateful if you could post details in my Music & Entertainment thread in the National/International Projects section of the Forum. I am particularly interested to hear about concert parties in the early months of the war. Thanks all.

Kate

Are you interested in post WW2 concerts, etc? I have a few NAAFI / ENSA programmes which look they were from the 40's or 50's in Germany.

I was going to bin them but I can pop them in an envelope if you want them

Apologies everyone else for taking this WAY off-topic

Mick

Mick,

Even if no one from GWF want's them, don't bin them, put them on Ebay as I'm sure someone out there would take them.

Graham.

The Royal Artillery has the Journal of the Royal Artillery and Gunner. The 3rd West Lancashire Brigade, RFA TF from about 1895 to at least 1918 published a yearly magazine entitled Kamp Knews. Dick Flory

Good morning Gloria

Having just found your message and looked down your list I was amazed to find the ASC had a magazine. Where did you find your mag as I am trying to discover about my grandfather who took his bus to war and was in the ASC. As there is little 'real' information about the bus drivers I hope I may find some references to them in their mag.

Good find!

Mir-cat,

It was known pre-war as the Army Service Corps Journal, but they may have scaled it down during the War. Have you tried the Museum of Military Transport at Beverley, Yorks to see if they have copies?

Graham.

Hello all,

In addition to Regimental Magazines some industrial units i.e. factories and such like produced excellent war time editions of their own magazines. If your relatives worked for North Eastern Railways, the "North Eastern Railway Magazine" has lists and lists of employees who have attested or been recalled to the colours.

In many instances they also feature obituaries, sometimes with photo's of employees who have fallen. Recently I helped a family who had an NER relative killed with the Northumberland Fusiliers find not only his obituary, but a photograph of him which they never had.

Graham.

Mir-cat,

It was known pre-war as the Army Service Corps Journal, but they may have scaled it down during the War. Have you tried the Museum of Military Transport at Beverley, Yorks to see if they have copies?

Graham.

Graham

No I haven't but I will now. I am struggling somewhat to try to find information regarding my Grandfather as his record was destroyed (burnt file) but I have confirmed family legend that he 'took his bus to war' and was in 90 MT coy. I will give these a try to see if gives any details about the omnibus companies.

If you have any other ideas I would be grateful.

Thanks a lot !!

Mir-cat

Hi all

The 2nd/2nd East Lancashire Field Ambulance RAMC Magazine was

The Tourniquet

Vol 1 No 1 Oct 1916.

Vol 1 No 2 Nov 1916.

Vol 1 No 3 Dec 1916.

Vol 1 No 4 Jan 1917.

Vol 1 No 5 Feb 1917.

• 2 weeks later...

The Light Bob - Somerset light Infantry