Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl A Blanshard DCM

AB64

I just got in a nice soldiers pay book to 15321 L/Cpl A Blanshard of the 7th Bedfordshires - he won the DCM, and on the London Gazette website I found the details (suppliment 15 March 1916 p 2885)

"15321 Lanoe-Corporal A. Blanshard, 7th

Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment.

For conspicuous gallantry. Corporal

Ivory and Lance-Corporal Blanshard

entered a mine shaft during a heavy bombardment

by the enemy's trench mortars

and rescued two men. This brave act was

carried out under very trying circumstances."

Does anyone have any ideas hoe I can get a better idea of where and when he carried out this act? any more info on him would be of great interest to me also.

Thanks

Alistair

Alistair

Try the battalion war diary at the National Archive: WO95/2043. The incident will have taken place some time before, so you may have to start looking from say, late 1915.

Terry Reeves

Thanks for that - teh Battalion were for a time part of the 15th (Scottish) Div, so being Scottish myself I would ideally like it to be during that period.

Alistair

Alistair,

How about this from the 7th's War Diary:

"19-1-16

2am

M.T.R. Full report of mine explosion forwarded at 6.15pm. The explosion appears to have been a double one. Enemy kept up persistent bombardment with trench mortars and rifle grenades until 11pm when they were silenced by our trench mortars and guns. Total casualty from Gas 13, 2 of whom have died. Gas casualties were greatly reduced by coolness of Cpl.Blanshard & Cpl.Ivory who entered mine shaft & removed all gassed men. Work is being carried on cleaning damaged tenches. Wind S.S.W"

They were in the Sector D/1 trenches near Mametz, SE of Albert at the Somme.

At this time the 7th Bedfords were with 54th Brigade, 18th Division. The battalion was only in the 15th Division while in England. It went to France on 27-7-1915 with the rest of 18th Division.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Fantastic info - I owe you one, I'm glad I found this forum their seems to be great knowledge and lots of helpful people - I just hope I can start putting a bit in.

Thanks again

Alistair

Steve

Great to see some OR details in a diary. Makes a welcome change !

There is an article in the Luton News and Bedfordshire Advertiser dated ?-3-1916 pg 5. Also the Bedfordshire Times & Independent 7-3-1916.

Markyate DCM

Decoration for 7th Bedfords.

This morning a long list of decorations for gallantry in action was published.

Among the men who have been awarded the DCM is Cpl J Ivory, 7th Battalion Bedfordshire Rgt. He is one of 3 soldier sons of Mr G Ivory, hairdresser of 62 High St Markyate, who was in business in Luton at one time.

In a letter received by his parents some time ago, Corp Ivory wrote " I don't know if you have heard yet, but I have won the DCM. No doubt you will hear how I won it later on, but do not think I am careless or run into danger, because I don't; but I could not let two of my men die and not help them. I saved one and one died a short time after". L/Cpl A Blanchard 15321 7th Bedfords is also awarded the DCM.

One of the men they rescued was Pte 15837 Bernard Ashpole of Kempston.

Bedfordshire Times 8th Feb 1916 pg 8.

Kempston boy gassed.

We regret to announce the death of Pte B Ashpole, of the 7th Beds Rgt, son of Mr and Mrs Arthur Ashpole, of West End Kempston, which took place in France on January 19th. The Captain of his company, writing to his parents, says " The Germans had exploded a mine that evening about 5pm and followed with a heavy bombardment of our line. Your son apparently entered the mouth of a mine shaft to take shelter, and encountered a rush of gas which overcame him, and he was unable to get out. Two NCO's in his platoon pluckily entered the shaft in spite of the gas, and with some considerable difficulties succeeded in getting him out, but it was unfortunately too late".

• 15 years later...

Dear AB64,

Do you still have the pay book for A Blanshard. I am fairly sure its my grandad.....I have his miniature medals but unfortunately his full size medals were sold. I would love to see some pictures of it if that is possible? Many thanks.

Sarah.

16278883425482898302005987027187.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, this is a very old thread  but the good news is that @AB64 is  still an active member of the forum. I've tagged him, so he should see this.

Michelle 

Hi,

I've attached images of all the entries in the book, hopefully its of some interest/use

Regards

Alistair

IMG_20190121_0001.jpg

IMG_20190121_0002.jpg

IMG_20190121_0003.jpg

IMG_20190121_0004.jpg

Thanks so much Alistair for the pictures.....Great to see them! I have been doing some research on Grandad and its been very interesting. I have his 'sign up' papers and some other bits and pieces. I may try and find his full size medals too!

Sarah.

He was later commissioned into the Oxford & Bucks LI in 1918 (1915 star medal roll & DCM index card off Ancestry):

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 12.52.53.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 12.51.30.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Glad to help Sarah. Here is his service Medal Index Card (MIC) off Ancestry (front & back). He first arrived in France on 26 July 1915:

It shows that he was a 2 Lieutenant with the 3rd Oxford & Bucks and then served in India with the 45th Sikhs (N.B. Iraq clasp on miniature). 

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 16.48.51.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 16.49.04.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thank you Ivor....really appreciate it! It also explains the meaning of his medals a bit more. I will pass all this info on to the rest of the family. Thanks again. Maybe one day I will be able to find and purchase his full size medals.