Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Language problems?

armourersergeant

Never having been to a cemetery or battlefield in france i was wondering given that i do not speak the lingo,being a inbred reclusive Englishman of dubious irish decent,i was wondering how difficult or easy it is to 'survive' in France and Belgium by yourself.

comments please on best policies for visiting and general costs involved?

Arm.

PS dont let the wife know this is an official secret!!!!!

You don't need to speak one word of French or Flemish to visit the battlefields; in Flanders most people speak English. This is less common in France, but major hotels will have staff who speak English. Once on the battlefields what you do is up to you - you never need to interact with the locals if you don't want to, but you would be missing out as the people of Flanders, Northern France and the Somme are generally very friendly.

Costs depend on how you want to do it and what you want to spend. There are plenty of cheap places to stay (see here for some ideas), and if you shop around you will get a deal on ferries and/or tunnel.

Some people feel that coming on an organised battlefield tour - where everything is done for you - is often a good idea for a first time visit. But this is a matter of choice; there are plenty of companies advertising on the net if this is what you want.

But once you have been... that is it... !!! :D

English is widely spoken in Flanders; much less so in France. You can get by with only a smattering of franglais. Knowledge of the elementary courtesies such as hello, goodbye, please and thank you lubricates ordinary day-to-day relations with locals out of all proportion to the effort taken to master them. If you take a little time to master some additional elementary phrases of the sort you can find in any guide-book ot France, then the French will be both impressed and flattered. GCSE French is not essential; anyway it is not a language spoken on this side of the Channel.

Taking a guided tour is a good way to get to know the battlefields and to pick out those areas to which you would wish to return later.

Arm

Don't worry about the lingo! Thats no problem. As every good Briton knows all foreigners should be expected to speak English, (and incredibly most do!) Is just a matter of waving your arms about, shouting and speaking pidgeon English at them. If they don't understand the first time, repeat all you have said over and over again at them, and raise your voice, with a lot more arm waving. Throwing in a few coloqualisms like "Savy?" works wonders. You will soon spot fellow English whilst you are over there as they will be doing the same. Nothing has changed in this repect since 1914/18.

The Belgians and French are quite used to these displays, and when you have finished your rantings nine times out of ten they will answer you in impecible English, spoken at a normal volume with no arm waving. Even the kids can speak it.

Even if, like me you know enough French to make yourself misunderstood, I have found it pointless trying too hard. Almost evertime I embark into some schoolboy French, particularly in a restaurant, I have found that I am listened to with an amused expression, and then completely deflated when my effort is answered in perfect English!

Seriously though, as Hedley says, you will find it greatly appreciated if you can learn a few basic expressions like thank you, please, hello and goodby.

Beware however of trying to learn too much of a foriegn language, as this can lead to confusion unless you get it right. A few years ago I was treking in the Indian Himalayas with my wife, and we had learnt a few basic words of Hindi which included being able to count up to 10, and the words for 20, 30 ,40 etc. - useful for bartering etc. We stopped for a cup of tea at one of the trailside tea houses and I after greeting the owner in his own languge, I pushed my luck by carrying on to order two cups of tea, again in Hindi. Unfortunately the word for 2 is very similar to the word for 12. Without a murmur our host solemnly brought the two of us 12 cups of tea!

A useful tip is to take a pocket size French-English dictionary. It can be particularly helpful in a restaurant in case the menu is only in French, otherwise you will not have a clue what you are ordering. However if you are adventurous with food this can be quite fun!

You ask about prices? Most things are a bit cheaper than in the UK, particularly petrol/diesel, but I have found over the last few years since the adoption of the Euro that prices have been rising rapidly. If you budget on what you would normally spend in the UK for a similar length of time you should be OK and on the right side with a bit of change left over. If using motorways make certain you have some small denomination notes and change for the tolls. Don't wory if you don't understand how much it is - the price is displayed on a screen for you! The French seem to employ some attractive girls in the motorway booths, and a cherry "Bon jour" and a "Merci" usually will usually earn you a lovely smile which does wonders for your linguistic ego.

Go for it, and have a great time!

Tim

Oh, Arm, beware of faux amis; these are words which look like they might be the same in French and English, but are really quite different.

I have an Oz friend resident in Lille who likes organically-grown apricots bought from our local market. His request for "des abricots sans preservatif" amazed the vendors and attracted many enquiries about the nature of certain physical acts in the Antipodes.

'Preservatif' is French for ... condom.

Arm,

There is a 1904 (?) book, the title and author of which escapes me, which advises the traveller thus

'Remember every Englishman abroad is the living incarnation of the King Emperor. Be imperious. Shout.'

Good luck

Jock

P.S. The same author wrote 'The Unspeakable Scot'

You should be able to get by very well with just a few simple words...........

" Une Bier s'il vous plait" ( or Deux Bier if you want to be friendly !!)

:lol:

According to the authours of "France, the final days" by Denise Thatcher...." Native Parisians are required to understand any major language. If they do not, please report them in person, to the Mayor"...This may not apply in rural areas though. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevebec

I found the best idea that when they ask you if your English tell them your an aussie and they cann't help you enough.

But I surpose you then may need to know some aussie strain also.

Oh heck you know there is more then more language in the is world and it helps if you pick up some.

You poms are like the yanks who think the world should conform to you. Remember its their country and they do talk different.

Vive la difference

Have fun

S.B

Wasn't it in Lyn MacDonalds "1914" where the old Regular, on arriving in France and believing that all Foreigners spoke the same language, attempted a conversation in "Hindustanni"!!?

You could give it a try i suppose?!! :lol:

No seriously, as has already been said it is pretty easy to get by on English, but i always think it's nice to show a bit of effort and at least attempt the basics (hello, thankyou, please, sorry, goodbye, etc, etc.)- To some, it is really appreciated.

Have a good time. :)

I strongly suggest you check out Avril Williams website with regards to accomadation. You will be within a stones throw of Beaumont Hamel, Serre, Newfoundland Park, Hawthorn Ridge, The Sunken Road etc etc. She runs OceanVillers tea rooms (Auchonvillers) She is very accommodating, and very knowledgeable.

We had a fantastic 2 nights there in July this years.

John