Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Have now completed this battalions war diaries, if anyone needs a look up.

Andy

Andy,

I'm interested in this man's fate:

JESSUP

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/10/1917

Service No: S/6207

Awards: DCM

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. F. 37.

Cemetery: KANDAHAR FARM CEMETERY

Arthur Jessup was KIA on 1/10/1917.

Notice of his DCM appeared in the London Gazette on 14 November 1916, but I've no idea in what action the award may have been won.

As there seems to be only casualites in SDGW around this time, maybe there's not much said about 1/10/1917 in the War Diary, but any info would good to have.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

From The History of The Rifle Brigade in The War of 1914 - 1918, Volume 3.

JESSUP, Rfmn. A., S-6207 (7th Btn) D.C.M. 14/11/16

For Conspicuous gallantry in action. When, although wounded and being the only one of his gun team left, he carried his gun up to the objective, and then brought up the magazines and laid the gun for action. He was ordered by his C.O. to go to a dressing station but was found several hours later still at his post.

Andy

In both Volume 3 and The Rifle Brigade Chronicle of 1916 it states S-6207 Rfmn. A. Jessup won his DCM with the 7th Btn. Will check the war diary for you.

Andy

In both Volume 3 and The Rifle Brigade Chronicle of 1916 it states S-6207 Rfmn. A. Jessup won his DCM with the 7th Btn. Will check the war diary for you.

Andy

Andy,

Your working overtime on my behalf, with this and other posts, thank you. The citation is word for word what it says in the London Gazette of 14 November 1916.

Interesting he was first in the 7th Battalion. Look forward to an diary information re the DCM and/or when he was KIA on 01/10/1917, he is buried at KANDAHAR FARM CEMETERY.

Thanks again,

Chris.

Chris,

Interesting, the 8th on 1/10/17 according to the war diary were out of the line. On the 30th September, 7 officers and 275 O.R.'s were found for a working party. On the 1st October 1917 it says: Fine, Companies at the disposal of OC Coys, and then Divisional Train sports.

On Battalion returns for Oct 1917 it has 1 man killed (Jessup) and 3 men wounded.

I will post these so that you can see them.

Andy

Andy,

Many thanks for all these brilliant images. They got Arthur's initial wrong on the casualty return. Still it's a bit of a mystery exactly what caused the death of one man and the wounding of three others. There's no mention where these working parties were deployed. Could it have been unexploded ammo, or some other type of accident?

According to SDGW one other man died around this time:

Pte. B200868 Horace Sharp DOW 04/10/17

CWGC entry:

SHARP, HORACE

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 04/10/1917

Service No: B/200868

Additional information: Son of J. W. and Nancy Sharp, of Morley; husband of H. Sharp, of 86, Albert Rd., Morley, Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVII. E. 5A.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

I wonder if he was confused with Pte. 200848?

Is there any indication of what was going on around the time Jessup won his DCM?

Many thanks,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Looking at the moment for the action and the DCM. Unusually he is not mentioned in the Regimental History for the action so I am working on approx 3 months before citation date for the action.

Andy

Chris,

H. Sharp is down as A. Sharp on the battalion casualty returns, number matches. He was injured on the 18th September 1917.

Andy

Rifle Brigade Chronicles say that from 2nd to 20th September 1917 the Battalion did its tours of duty in the forward area north east of Messines and on the 22nd proceeded to Neuve Eglise. I will look at the dairies and regimental history for you.

Andy

Rifle Brigade Chronicles say that from 2nd to 20th September 1917 the Battalion did its tours of duty in the forward area north east of Messines and on the 22nd proceeded to Neuve Eglise. I will look at the dairies and regimental history for you.

Andy

Thanks for staying "on the case". The other return shows Sharp must have had a struggle, poor devil. But those initials are not too accurate, A and H are not even close on the keyboard.

Chris.

Not such a good scan but it says for the 18th

Fine. Quiet day. Artillery barraged enemies line from 8pm to 9pm. Working parties of 7 officers and 200 or found for carrying R.E. materialto work on Corps line. Capt. W.A. Teakle go on leave.

Andy

Chris,

Looking at the war diaries and the regimental history and working on the approx 3 months from action to citation one would presume this DCM for Rfmn Jessup was won on the 18th August 1916 with the capture of Orchard Trench and part of Wood Lane, just west of Delville Wood.

I will post the war diary entries and regimental account for you shortly.

Andy

Chris,

Looking at the war diaries and the regimental history and working on the approx 3 months from action to citation one would presume this DCM for Rfmn Jessup was won on the 18th August 1916 with the capture of Orchard Trench and part of Wood Lane, just west of Delville Wood.

I will post the war diary entries and regimental account for you shortly.

Andy

Andy,

Once again, thanks for all the time and trouble you have taken over this. I have posted a message in the "Soldiers section" in the hope someone with access to Walker's list of DCM winners might show an entry.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

Just checked my Walkers it just says S/6207 Pte Jessup, A 14/11/16

Andy

Andy and Chris,

I have found that during 1916 the delay to "gazetting" of DCMs (and MCs, though not necessarily if with citations) was more like two months than three. I would think it was more likely at Flers-Courcelette (15-9-1916) or Morval (25-9-1916) than in August...

MMs were still at about 3 months around this time...

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for that, in that case it would have been Flers-Courcelette or possibly Morval. Unusually in the Regimental History it makes no mention of the action involved in this DCM.

Andy

Got him in the Battalion casualty returns. Wounded on the 15/9/16. So Flers - Courcelette

Andy