Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

badge id, and help required please!

hampshire hog

Hello Terry

I think that looks very close indeed. It also fits in nicely with the fact that Mr Cameron was a diver who rescued people at the Forth Bridge in the 1890s.

Andy

True, neither medal is an exact match for the one in the photo. However, there were many 'unofficial' medals issued in Victorian times and several were of the VC design.

The one fact of which we are certain is that nobody by the name of Alexander Cameron was amongst the 1355 names awarded the VC. The possibilities still remain that the pic is not Alexander or that he served under an alias (although I would have expected this to be mentioned in all the VC lists).

No doubt there are other possible explanations.

Hopefully by the end of today's game seeing anything could prove a strain!!! Sorry for slight hijack but I'm getting myself mentally prepared.

Get yer magnifying glass out!!

thanks guys for all your replies....im totally stumped!

andrew cameron...diver pictured below, was a deep sea diver............that according to family members recieved the vc!!!!..........the other pictures posted earlier, of the guy with the vc, is defiently the same person, as in pic below!!!

on his daughters marriage certficate dated 1916, his proffession is listed as diver

on his death certificate,dated 1921 his profession is listed as diver!

cant seem to find his birth certificate,maybe he had another surname, adopted or something

so where does the vc, pictures in uniform come from??????...why????, where????

what regiment does the uniform belong to???

again according to family members, he saved lives at the forth railway bridge, some said he laid the foundations!!!!!..im confused

cheers

gina

post-7729-1123842315.jpg

I think the answer may be that he was awarded a significant medal .. and as has been pointed out .. that medal bore some similarities to the VC. But I must admit I'm with the other guys on this ... the VC is a very well researched subject and I do think your man would have been recorded.

Still a fantastic slice of history.

Des

As the other posts say........

Medal looks similar to a VC, unable to identify regiment from photographs and no mention of your man on any listings for the VC.

Any other details in the family history or documents might lead somewhere but stumped at the moment.

hi guys

thanks for all your interest, info, & help

i have spoken with members of the family, and they all say the same story:

they were all lead to believe, he won the vc, and that the medal was the vc!

he won it, for saving lives, in the firth of the forth!(in which case it would have been pre-ww1)

a couple of family members, say there was a book written about him, and saw the book, but cant remember what its title was!

im stumped because i cant find any referene to him, either as a diver, being awarded the vc, a book, nothing, i think ill have to take a trip to kew gardens!

the only other thing i can thinkl of, is that he used an alias, i know that on his marraige certifcate, his mother was deceased, but cant make out her maiden name, so maybe he used her name!, its wierd, because on his marriage, and death certificates, his mother is listed as 2 different names, but same maiden name(cant work that out), maybe his dad married the sister of is mother!!!

oh well thanks for all your input....and if i find anything out, ill let ya know

cheers

gina

hi guys

i have spoken with members of the family, and they all say the same story:

they were all lead to believe, he won the vc, and that the medal was the vc!

he won it, for saving lives, in the firth of the forth!(in which case it would have been pre-ww1)

gina

Gina

If the medal was won "for saving lives" it would probably not be the Victoria Cross.

Maybe one of the medals that were awarded before the George Cross was instituted in 1940?

Here is a site about the George Cross:

http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/gc_holders.htm

Note that there were at least three earlier medals that were awarded for acts of bravery, and the winners were able to exchange them for the George Cross. There are lists of these winners on the site.

Hope this helps.

The three exchangeable medals were the Empire Gallantry Medal, the Albert Medal and the Edward Medal.

None of these had a 'VC' style design.

Could this be what you are looking for?

Get a copy here

post-76-1124104162.jpg

For less than 4 quid I am tempted to buy it myself, just to find out!

I think the fact it was written by a man of the cloth may point to a temperence connection though.

The book is dated 1905, butv he isn`t wearing the VC ribbonn in his WW1 photo. Could someone please put us out of our suspense? Phil B

There is another copy of this book for sale on Abebooks for $15.

The blurb includes just a little more info':

"One cross is the Victoria Cross, the other is the cross of Christ and the heart."

Is it possible that it could be a polished medal rather than the dull variety we usually see? I`ve never seen a polished VC but I assume they come up bright like brass? Phil B

Is it possible that it could be a polished medal rather than the dull variety we usually see? I`ve never seen a polished VC but I assume they come up bright like brass? Phil B

Phil

It may or may not be a VC but I am certain that no one called Andrew Cameron has ever won one.

The book sounds interesting. It could be some sort of inspirational fiction or ............

Andy

I have just received a reply from Brian Best at the Victoria Cross Society confirming that no one called Andrew Cameron has ever been awarded the Victoria Cross.

Andy

It`s going to be interesting to see what that book says then. The picture of the VC on the front may be somewhat misleading! Phil B

It`s going to be interesting to see what that book says then. The picture of the VC on the front may be somewhat misleading! Phil B

Mr Best agreed with me when I said that I thought that the book was either a piece of inspirational fiction or something else, the nature of which I am not going to state here.

Andy

thanks guys...starting to get somewhere...maybe...the mstery is unfolding........thanks so much..i ordered the book...so we will see, 5-8 days delivery.....i searche for a book...so thank-you to the person that bought this book to our attention.......oooo im excited now

cheers again

gina

i also mailed brian from the vcs, and he sent me e-mail yesterday, saying no-one of that name was awarded the vc!!!

Please let us know :)