Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

James,

greyhound answered very correctly your question in my place and I thank it.

I do not have anything to add to it for the moment… separately the joined photograph which I took while being upright on the headland planned for the construction of the new chapel (the clear brick farm is behind me).

you can see in the foreground the new “rue du Bois” and behind the low wall which surrounds the deposit of stones under which the old road is.

Michel

post-10155-1170368084.jpg

So, Michel, ...... we are looking at what is probably the very spot where Father Gleeson gave the Absolution?

(I have to say that what gets to me is that little word - "Last".) 6.gif

Hi greyhound,

to answer your question, perhaps yes, except for some meters, or perhaps no… it is necessary that I check with the plans that the owner should show me soon.

indeed, it is not certain that the site of the future news chapel is exactly opposite where was that which was demolished in 1970 for the new road and… it is absolutely not sure that this one was rebuilt in 1929 exactly at the same place as that built about 1840 and who was destroyed during the First World War… am I clear ?

For the moment, let us be rational and say very prudently that could be a serious assumption.

I have in reserve some pretty photographs in my double sack which could tear off you well some tears…

Michel

For the moment, let us be rational and say very prudently that could be a serious assumption.

I have in reserve some pretty photographs in my double sack which could tear off you well some tears…

Michel

Michel,

In your reply to greyhound, I note your comment and accept that the location is taken as a 'serious assumption'.

Looking forward to more photos.

I have also only caught up with the previous threads which escaped me and noticed answers that explain the question of 'Christ of the Trenches' discussion. I have been jumping the gun as they say !.

Many thanks.

James

Michel,

Is it possible that there are large scale maps which might show the site of the original chapel and the site of the rebuilt chapel?

Perhaps the Department responsible for the Roads in the area might have some? Or Town Council? In England we have large scale 'Ordnance Survey' maps which would solve your problems in locationg the location of the chapel.

A

Audax,

thank you very much for this suggestion. but my professional occupation leads me to work with the departmental services of the roadway system where I have some friends and I already questioned, at the beginning of this investigation, one of them which is responsible, between other, of the sector of “la rue du Bois”.

the departmental services underwent these last years, within the framework of the decentralislation, several removals and the conservation of the files suffered much.

But I do not despair!

Michel

James,

look at the size of this crucifix.

It was one of the both of Neuve-chapelle, in the middle of the ruins of the village.

unfortunately I am unable to say which.

Michel

post-10155-1170453124.jpg

James,

look at the size of this crucifix.

It was one of the both of Neuve-chapelle, in the middle of the ruins of the village.

unfortunately I am unable to say which.

Michel

Michel,

When I compare the photo with that of Christ of the Trenches, there appears to be a difference in the form of the sculpture. The head is slightly turned down and the cloth girdling the waste looks different. So perhaps it was the other cross you mentioned.

Have you been able to get the photo of the plaque that is in the Town hall of RICHEBOURG. I just wish I could get to France and walk the the whole area with you as my guide, it would be very enlightening.

Regards,

James.

post-148-1170473076.jpg

James,

you are right certainly with regard to this crucifix, if he is not the Christ of the trenches, by deduction, he undoubtedly acts of the other and I will test, with my colleagues of the Town hall of NEUVE-CHAPELLE, of more.

With regard to the plaque of the chapel Notre-Dame de Séez, I did not go yet to the town hall of RICHEBOURG but that will not delay.

Lastly, when you come to FRANCE, I will have a pleasure of on the spot taking you along for you do not waste time to seek.

Friendly

Michel

Kim,

of course, it'is with a great pleasure that I'll meet you when you come in france

friendly

Michel

Hi all,

to make you have patience here a new photograph of "la rue du Bois".

you can see the site of the old turn which is under the deposit of stones and after the gate.

Michel

post-10155-1170709009.jpg

James,

here something interesting about “la tombe Willot” with LOCON, where Munsters were in billet before leaving towards the frontline on May 8, 1915 and receiving the last absolution with RICHEBOURG.

I found this small explanation concerning the origin of the name of “la rue de la tombe Willot” on official Internet site of the Town hall of LOCON:

http://www.ville-locon.fr/connaitre-notre-...s-anecdotes.htm

"Exemple :pourquoi une route se dénomme-t-elle "Rue de la Tombe Willot" ?

- Il y aurait eu, sous Louis XIV, pendant les guerres avec l'Espagne et les Pays-Bas, la tombe d'un soldat Irlandais, à l'entrée de la rue du Haut-Prieur, dans l'angle et le confluent des deux rues. C'est une légende orale ! Vraie ou fausse? On ne le sait pas."

Translation :

“ Exemple :why a road name does “rue de la tombe Willot”? - There would have been, under Louis XIV, during the wars with Spain and the Netherlands, the grave of an Irish soldier, with the entry of "la rue du Haut Prieur", in the angle and the confluence of the two streets. It is an oral legend! True or false? It is not known.”

You see at least one Irish was already last at this place is well before the First World War, does not say one that the history ever repeats....?

Michel

Facanating Thread which I have been following for a while.

By total coincidence I visited a new exhibition in Dublin Ireland on military history in the National Museum.

The section on the Great War starts with a print of the painting and they have Father Gleesons diary - open on the page for the day following the battle.

Keep up the good work

Isadore

James,

here something interesting about “la tombe Willot” with LOCON, where Munsters were in billet before leaving towards the frontline on May 8, 1915 and receiving the last absolution with RICHEBOURG.

[snip]

Michel

Michel,

Thank for the information about the “la tombe Willot” connection, it very is interesting to say the least.

The 'Irish Brigades' fought on many a battlefield going back in history.

Down through the ages Irishmen have been engaged in fighting battles, either between their own clans, or against the dominance of Foreign and British invaders, at times they fought for and against the British, and the sad history of Ireland witnessed family's fighting on opposing sides.

King Edward I recruited Irish light cavalry to serve in his English Army in France in the 100 years War and to patrol the English border with Scotland. In 1243, they fought for the Plantagenets against their fellow Celts, the Welsh. In 1485, they fought with the Yorkists against the Lancastrians in the Wars of the Roses.

When the wars of religion swept through Europe setting Catholic against Protestant, the Irish were to be found fighting for both sides. As early as the 1520's, Irish troops were to be found in the Netherlands.

During the English Civil War, the Stuart kings hired a large Irish Army to fight the parliamentary forces of Cromwell in England and Scotland. In July 1644, Alasdair MacColla landed in Scotland with 2,500 Irish veteran soldiers. At the Battle of Tippermuir (1644) and Aberdeen (1644), the Irish Regiments held the centre of the line and with the Highland Clans developed the famed highland charge.

I must visit the link you provided.

Thanks again Michel,

James.

Great lesson of History, James

merci beaucoup

Michel

hi greyhound,

thank you very much, as we say in France, each day which passes where you do not have nothing learned is one day lost ....

Michel

Hi all,

and if we returned a little to the chapel to continue our journey in the time ?

here a copy of the map of the sector of “la rue du Bois” going back to 1961 .....

I let to you study it a little!

it is a little cerebral work for the exploring brilliances which you all are…

Michel

post-10155-1170936892.jpg

Michel,

Came across this little poem by Rudyard Kipling:-

The Irish Guards

by Rudyard Kipling

We're not so old in the Army list,

But we're not so young at our trade,

For we had the honour at Fontenoy,

Of meeting the Guards' Brigade.

'Twas Lally, Dillon, Buckley, Clare,

And Lee that led us then,

And after a hundred and seventy years,

We're fighting for France again.

Old Days! The wild geese are flighting

Head to the storm as they faced it before!

For where there are Irish there's bound to be fighting,

And when there's no fighting, it's Ireland no more

Ireland no more!

The fashion's all for khaki now,

But once through France we went

Full-dressed in scarlet Army cloth,

The English-left at Ghent.

They're fighting on our side to-day

But, before they changed their clothes,

The half of Europe knew our fame,

As all of Ireland knows!

Old Days! The wild geese are flying

For where there are Irish there's memory undying,

And when we forget, it is Ireland no more

Ireland no more!

From Barry Wood to Gouzeaucourt,

From Boyne to Pilkem Ridge,

The ancient days come back no more

Than water under the bridge.

But the bridge it stands and the water runs

As red as yesterday,

And the Irish move to the sound of the guns

Like salmon to the sea.

Old Days! The wild geese are ranging,

For where there are Irish their hearts are unchanging,

And when they are changed, it is Ireland no more!

Ireland no more!

We're not so old in the Army list but,

But we're not so new in the ring.

For we carried our packs with Marshal Saxe

When Louis was our King.

But Douglas Haig's our marshal now,

And we're King George's men

After One hundred and seventy years

We're fighting for France again.

Ah, France! And did we stand by you

Then life was made splendid with gifts, and rewards?

Ah, France! And will we deny you

In the hour of your agony, Mother of Swords?

Old Days! The wild geese are flighting,

Head to the storm as they faced it before,

For where there are Irish, there's loving and fighting,

And when we stop either, It's Ireland no more!

Ireland no more!

thank you jpc,

lovely poem, not easy to translate in french with keeping all his deepy

Michel

Hi all,

here is a postcard kindly gived to me yesterday evening by Jean-Marie, owner of the chapel;

I was going back at home with things so wonderfull...

you are not at the end of your surprises.

Michel

post-10155-1170979392.jpg

Hi all,

here is a postcard kindly gived to me yesterday evening by Jean-Marie, owner of the chapel;

I was going back at home with things so wonderfull...

you are not at the end of your surprises.

Michel

Michel,

A piece of history indeed, thank you for sharing the image with us.

James.