Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Last Absolution of the Munsters'

Mark Hone

I was an altar boy with Father Gleeson (later Cannon Gleeson) in the nineteen fiftys. I can tell you that he had a good life in St. Cathrines in Meath Street church when I was there. He used to say to us altar boys that " This is a school for young gentlemen" and he was right. I have never met a man like him who shaped me as a person like he did. May god bless him.

• 4 months later...

Hello, My apologies to all for breaking your thread but I am trying to find information about one of my wife's ancestors Major Paul Alfred Charrier of the RMF who died in France in 1914. I would appreciate any references, photographs etc. Kindest Regards Derek Bird 07887 767919 [quote name=michel knockaert'

timestamp='1171675210' post='624584]

Marina, Peter, James,

many thanks for your kind messages

be patient, it is not finsihed

Michel

• 1 year later...

I am very sad to inform you, my friend Simone, who cleaned the new shrine till it was destroyed die this week and was buried this afternoon at Richebourg.

Rest in peace Simone.

Michel

• 4 months later...

No flowers today 9th May 2012 for the Munsters at "la rue du bois"

but, a candel for them at" Notre Dame de Lorette" where I was all the day making my duty of Guard of Honour.

Men of the 2nd RMF gave their lifes for helping french troups in great pain there, on... 9th May 1915 during the second battle of Artois...

Michel

the candel...

post-10155-0-24937300-1336598940.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been mentioned before in this thread but Fr. Gleeson is buried in Glasnevin Cemetry in Dublin. IF you go to the main gate and take a left he is on the right about 30m from gate. Also further on you will find Fr. Browne of the Irish Guards and Titanic fame.

• 11 months later...

post-10155-0-70631400-1368042472_thumb.jGood evening all,

at the time I am writing, exactly 98 years ago, the irishmen of 2nd RMF received from father Gleeson the last absolution, rue du bois at Richebourg.

May they all rest in peace.

Michel

• 3 months later...

Merci Michel.

Mods, what's happened to the section where we could nominate threads for inclusion in the Classic threads? If we can still nominate topics for that area, could this one be included please? Fascinating thread with 831 replies and over 69,000 views!

Amazing. I did not know what I was starting when I originated this thread all those years ago. I am planning to visit Aubers Ridge again on my 2015 school battlefields tour.

• 1 month later...

Merci Michel.

Mods, what's happened to the section where we could nominate threads for inclusion in the Classic threads? If we can still nominate topics for that area, could this one be included please? Fascinating thread with 831 replies and over 69,000 views!

Hello Caryl !

for your information, this thread was included in the classic threads, and I do not know why one day mods sent it in this one...

Michel

Amazing. I did not know what I was starting when I originated this thread all those years ago. I am planning to visit Aubers Ridge again on my 2015 school battlefields tour.

Hello Mark

I do not know how many nights I spent on this thread....

It should be a great pleasure for me to "walk the fieds" with you and your students in 2015...

Michel

if you visit today "Le Touret Memorial", you can see "the last absolution of the Munsters", at the gate...

CWGC uses it on an explanation panel, maybe inspired by our work here on the GWF.

Michel

• 1 month later...
Guest Stephen Ring

Hi,

I have been reading this fasinating thred with a passion. My Grandfather John Ring was in the Royal munsters he was known as Jackie Ring from Bandon Cork. He fought in the Somme and served from 1915 to 1918. He joined up under the free Ireland rule (later renaged on by the British Government). Unfortuantly my Granfather passed away in 1981 and told only a hand full of stories of his time to my Dad. We have his certificates, medals and all his WW1 posetions where stored in an ammo crate after he died. His brother William Ring who had immigrated to the USA prior to the start of the war had joined the great war with the US Marines in 1918 and was killed in action in July. Its almost 95 years exactly since the guns stopped.

Regards

Stephen Ring

Hello Stephen !

Happy to see this thread is still interesting peoples !

Does it exist in your grandfather's papers something about his possible presence in the sector of Richebourg ?

regards

Michel

• 8 months later...

Mark

I posted a picture of Fortunino Matania on the "Who is this???" thread and, when it was identified, said how much I admired his paintings.

One of my fellow WIT inmates, CarylW, pointed me at this thread saying it was one of her favourites. I am so glad she did and can see why. I've just spent an afternoon alternately moved and fascinated as the story unfolded.

Wonderful stuff. Thank you

David

Strangely enough I am just making preliminary arrangements for the 2015 tour. Exact dates to be confirmed as the school has not yet finalised October half term for 2015. Watch this space!

Hello All,

I was in Templemore last weekend and took a picture of the Fr Gleeson Memorial stone Memorial. The Memorial is flanked by two 4.5 inch howitzers and is sited on the Main Street besite the old Market House.

post-38624-0-87460100-1406926234_thumb.j

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all.................what a fascinating Topic....

I only joined the Forum yesterday 31 Aug 2014...... but after reading this thread , I just had to join.

My first post was also relating to Father Gleeson, and in particular his Diary. ..............

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=215531&p=2149154

So,,,, this is a "copy & Paste " of what I posted on the above Diary thread..................

===============================================================================================

" Hello everybody. I am new to the forum ( as of today ) and this is my first post.
I Have been doing a little research over the past couple of weeks, on behalf of a friend of mine regarding " The last general absolution of the Munsters" .
so far I have found things fascinating, my research has led me to various places, and this forum is my latest.
So,,, Its great to see this particular thread regarding the Diary of Father Gleeson, and cant wait for Don Don to post dates and details of the diary display.
I am trying to find out where Father Gleeson was, or what he was doing on ... 7th April 1919 .
The reason being,
My friend has an original print of the Last Absolution painting,,, its not a `print of a print` ... its an original print from the era, which I believe was owned by the "sphere" magazine ,who the artist of the painting ( Fortunino Matania ) worked for during WW1.
the print is framed and marked ....... " copyright "the sphere" and .....
now the best bit.......
Is actually signed and dated by Father Gleeson.... " With compliments. Francis A Gleeson. CF . 7th April 1919 "
As you can imagine,,, I am delighted.
I will attach photos once I figure out how to do so.......lol...
Thanks... John "
======================================================================

"

Hi,

I have been reading this fasinating thred with a passion. My Grandfather John Ring was in the Royal munsters he was known as Jackie Ring from Bandon Cork. He fought in the Somme and served from 1915 to 1918. He joined up under the free Ireland rule (later renaged on by the British Government). Unfortuantly my Granfather passed away in 1981 and told only a hand full of stories of his time to my Dad. We have his certificates, medals and all his WW1 posetions where stored in an ammo crate after he died. His brother William Ring who had immigrated to the USA prior to the start of the war had joined the great war with the US Marines in 1918 and was killed in action in July. Its almost 95 years exactly since the guns stopped.

Regards

Stephen Ring

Hi stephen....

Amazingly,,,,,,,,,, The man in the foreground of the painting.... ?? .....apparently...is ........ Regimental Sgt Major John Ring .

Please see article from Irish times ( last week ) regarding the painting,,,,,

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/fine-art-antiques/painting-of-first-world-war-blessing-stirs-memories-1.1904001?page=1

wow

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Thomas O'Keeffe RMF

Hello everybody. I found out only this weekend that my Maternal Grandfather Thomas O'Keeffe was one of the men who received Absolution from Father Gleeson on 8th May. Thomas survived the events of the following day, thankfully. I have been doing research on him for the past couple of years and I have to say it has been a painfully slow process. He never spoke of his time in the war. My Mother knew that he had been shot in the hip and remembers him saying that they had only muddy water from the trench to drink to quench the thirst. We knew nothing else about him. This journey of discovery is incredible. This thread is amazing to read. Already, some of the family are planning to make a trip to Rue Du Bois and stand where our Grandad stood on that fateful evening. Thank you all so much for writing what you have and Michel, I hope you're still reading this thread. You are a treasure. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest paul.ring@tiscali.co.uk

Stephen Ring, on 11 Nov 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:snapback.png

Hi,

Regards

Stephen Ring

My Grandfather is RSM John Ring born in Bandon 0n 11th November 1876 and died in Limerick in 1960. He is older than Stephen’s Grandfather but I guess there is a strong possibility they were related in some way. He served with the 2nd Battalion during the Boar War, throughout WW1 and up to disbandment in 1922. As previous posters have already stated he is the soldier in the foreground and although I don’t see a resemblance to the odd photographs I have seen, I never met him and my cousin who knew him during her childhood is convinced it’s him.

Hello, My apologies to all for breaking your thread but I am trying to find information about one of my wife's ancestors Major Paul Alfred Charrier of the RMF who died in France in 1914. I would appreciate any references, photographs etc. Kindest Regards Derek Bird 07887 767919

I just caught up with this thread, so if you are still looking in, Charrier commanded the Munsters at Etreux - there is a (slim) book just on that action. He is buried, along with his men, at a beautiful CWGC cemetery there.

• 5 months later...

An article in the current edition of 'Ireland's Own' by Deiirdre Ni Chuanachain, looks into the story of the iconic painting and the lady who is believed to have commissioned it. Jessie Louisa Rickard, was the wife of Lieut. Colonel Victor Rickard, who is shown on horseback to the left of Father Gleeson. She was a well known author writing more than 30 novels, also penned 'The Story of The Munsters at Etreux, Festubert, Rui du Bois and Hulloch'. She passed away in 1963.

Mike.

From this article in the Irish Times on 4 April 2015 it appears that the inscribed copy of the print mentioned in #843 above will be auctioned in May.

The estimate is 3-5,000 Euro. I'll be interested to see the hammer price.

Harper