Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who was this mystery artist?

chris.wight

While browsing the University of Victoria's (in British Columbia, Canada) website, I came across a brilliant set of sketches put together by an unknown artist, link to site. The only information the University has about this mystery man is he served in the Royal Field Artillery and the Royal Horse Artillery in 1917 & 1918 in Belgium and France. The two sketch books were given to his daughter, Adele, and was signed with the initials J.M., link to Dedication Page.

There are a number of sketches which hint he was an Officer as he mentions doing his sketches at the front as well as his point of view of things. Some suggest hints at his own background such as the one showing a room ("The little grey home in the wet", link to sketch). He also appeared to have an interest in what was going on in the Middle East.

I know there is little to go (and probably it is a forlorn hope to find out who he was) but I thought given the resourceful and talented nature of members of this Forum, it would be worth asking.

Dunno Chris .. but I've added it to my favourites!!

Des

... I have bookmarked it too! what a great site! thanks for the link, Chris.

The picture of the gassed horses is particularly poignant...

Gloria

Some cracking photos on there but cant help with who he was!

Sorry but thanks for the link,

Arm.

Had a llok at Book 2 today. Wonderful stuff. You'd think someone this talented would have gone on to be known as an artist - but perhaps he did.

Marina

the grave of the royal scots is this guy

Name: NICOL

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 17th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/10/1918

Service No: 22224

Additional information: Son of Mr. J. Nicol, of Alexandra Buildings, View Glen, Aberdeen.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 13.

Cemetery: DADIZEELE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Chris

The wreck of what looks like an RE 8 under 'Air War' might provide a clue to the artist's whereabouts in late 1918. I previously wrote:

The aircraft in the sketch has the serial number E33, which was an RE 8 built under licence by The Siddeley-Deasy Motor Co Ltd, of Coventry, in batch E1-E300. The crashed machine looks a bit like an RE 8, so the serial may well be correct. The aeroplane has the individual identification letter W, but there's no squadron marking - these were withdrawn from two-seater units in March 1918.

E33 was used by No 7 Sqn RAF, and was shot down after combat with enemy aircraft near Ledeghem on 14 October 1918. Capt Sherard William Cowper-Coles (formerly Army Service Corps) and 2Lt R W Davidson were both killed in action. A victory was credited to Oblt Harald Auffarth of Jasta 29; it was the 26th of his eventual 29 victories.

The crew of E33 are buried in Mendinghem Military Cemetery.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Thank you for the link, Chris, these are very interesting and poignant.

The references to 8 inch Howitzers at Brielen (JM02_028) and 6 inch (JM02_038) suggest he may have also have served with the Royal Garrison Artillery. Can anyone identify which 8 inch Howitzer Batteries were at Brielen?

Regards

Simon

Thank you for the link, Chris, these are very interesting and poignant.

The references to 8 inch Howitzers at Brielen (JM02_028) and 6 inch (JM02_038) suggest he may have also have served with the Royal Garrison Artillery.  Can anyone identify which 8 inch Howitzer Batteries were at Brielen?

Regards

Simon

Could he have given us a clue as to his unit in the painting/drawing entitled "War" (JM01_003) in the "Casualties" section?

Just above the kilted Highlander carring a wounded civilian on his back is a sign reading either 24 or 29 FA. As there is what I assume to be a Red Cross flag above the door I assume the FA to be Field Ambulance. Was the artist definately in the Artillery?

Might be a 'red herring', or the artist could have just walked out of that door in "Pop" to record the scene?

Could he have given us a clue as to his unit in the painting/drawing entitled "War" (JM01_003) in the "Casualties" section?

Just above the kilted Highlander carring a wounded civilian on his back is a sign reading either 24 or 29 FA.

Might be a 'red herring', or the artist could have just walked out of that door in "Pop" to record the scene?

This will indicate a Field Ambulance, hence the red cross flag above the door and the casualty being carried in.

Regards

Simon

This will indicate a Field Ambulance, hence the red cross flag above the door and the casualty being carried in.

Regards

Simon

Simon

I had just amended my original post when I saw this.

Any chance that the artist was RAMC rather than Artillery?

Any chance that the artist was RAMC rather than Artillery?

I think the RA badge on the title page is the big clue here :D and I think he is most likely RGA because of the references to heavy guns and the fact he is behind the lines. The RHA drawing seems to refer to the unfulfilled dream of the Horse Artillery exploiting a breakthrough.

Regards

Simon

I think the RA badge on the title page is the big clue here :D and I think he is most likely RGA because of the references to heavy guns and the fact he is behind the lines. The RHA drawing seems to refer to the unfulfilled dream of the Horse Artillery exploiting a breakthrough.

Regards

Simon

Simon

That will teach me to read the whole of a thread!

Back to the drawing board. :lol:

Looking at his 'Little Home in the Wet', I think I can detect the initials 'JLM' on the olive/grey bag, seen on the extreme left of the picture (behind the candlestick-reflector). Also the spurs on the wall at the back point to involvement with horses.

Some of the pics being of the time around the armistice, and Dadizeele church being in the snow, implies perhaps winter 1918/19?

Narrows it down a bit, eh? Quite a few officer JLM's in the RHA and RGA as well.

Still, it would be interesting to know who he was.

Ian

from the evidence we have:

14/10/18....Ledegehem area draws picture of plane being shot down 17km East of Ypres (god knows why they are buried 17km NW of Ypres)

18/10/18.....Dadizeele J.Nicols grave and judging by picture this was recent to burial......this is 16km East of Ypres.

I would hang my hat on it that he was east of ypres 3rd week of October. Anymore coincidences that we put together a roadmap?

24/05/17 Boeschepe Northern France

Dickebusch "Leinster's Camp shelled" any ideas?

Crucifix corner.. that is a massive bomb hole or mine crater and its recent...any ideas?

19 Marche Aux Poisson, St Omer. Number 23 recently destroyed.. maybe he was staying there?

the 24 Field ambulance in a town?

And the cementery at Bailleul that has been recently blown up.. and ideas on dates?

Any ideas?

I posted a link to this site some time ago. I am still working on the downed aircraft picture and hope eventually to find out the circumstances of the downed aircraft which may lead to the RA units in the area which mat give a clue to the artist.

Terry Reeves

Ledeghem was captured in Sept/Oct 1918 during 4th Ypres as was Dadizeele, but it was rainy, not snowing. Dadizeele church appears to be in the snow, so I guess that view was painted later in that year.

Baileul was shelled during April/July 1918.

9th Div was outside Meteren (nr Baileul), and in the Pop/Abeele area April/Aug 1918 and of course at 4th Ypres. Wonder if he was attached?

Ian

Terry, I'd searched to see if someone had posted a link to the site before posting this but didn't come up with anything. I did find it now, and have posted the link to your original thread.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I've been looking through the sketches to see if I could pick up anything. There are two where I wonder if he is drawing an experience he had.

The first one, link, where the A.P.M. (Acting? Provost Marshal?) in Calais is pointing out the 2nd Lieutenant's red socks. Didn't cuff rank indication disappear after 1915 or did the Royal Artillery maintain this style?

The second one, link, is where the Officer is phoning up someone by the name of B???an to say his two 6 inch guns were knocked out. What is this fellow's rank.

I also assume because of the seeming ability to move about freely and to be able to draw near the front, he would definitely be an officer - a Lieutenant or a Captain?

the A.P.M. (Acting? Provost Marshal?)

Chris

A.P.M. = Assistant Provost Marshal, defined in Brophy & Partridge's The Long Trail as: "A sort of Head Constable of Military Police. A harrier of too lively subalterns, an eagle eye for omitted salutes, surreptitious drinks, overstayed passes. It is said that APM's often acted as guides for Generals wishing to see the night-life of the large towns in France and Belgium."

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth and Simon for your answers.