Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

"I'd be very interested in talking to anyone researching 2/10th Bn Royal Scots, if they are (or 'one is')."

Thought this may be of interest to you - the 2/10th arriving home at Leith Docks, 18th June, 1919

post-12171-1172324881.jpg

Malcolm,

Re 13 Btn. have you anything on Pvt 15826 John Moffat?

Keith

Details

Surname MOFFAT

Firstname John

Service Number 15826

Date Death 15/09/1916

Decoration

Place of birth Shotts Lanarkshire

Other 13th Bn.

SNWM roll THE ROYAL SCOTS (LOTHIAN REGIMENT)

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Name: MOFFAT, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Service No: 15826

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 6 D and 7 D.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Battle of Flers Coucellette. 13th Bn were on the left flank along with 11th Argyles.

Aye

Malcolm

• 3 weeks later...

I've just checked 2nd Lt Bean's file again, and in the accounts section there is a reference to a mess bill for the 12th Bn Royal Scots. If he was serving with them when he died (April 12th 1918) it makes much more sense. I think he transferred from the 2/7th. Does anyone have the war diary for this period?

Thanks

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Colin.

That is a good point that you mention.

I have, available for look-ups, the following books:

History of The Royal Scots 14-18

History of the 9th Division

History of the 52nd Lowland Division

War Diary of the 13th battalion, The Royal Scots, 1915-1918

SDGW The Royal Scots

DCM register to The Royal Scots

I have many other books and diarys to do with various battalions, it is probably best to PM or email me and ask!

All the best,

Tim

Dear Tim,

Noting your interest in, and knowledge of, The Royal Scots, can you provide any information whatsoever on the persons referred to in the extract(attached) which is contained in a note book owned by Miss Jessie Ritchie, a QAIMS nurse who served in Salonika where she died in August 1916 and where she is buried (Lembet Road).

Regards,

Jim

Thanks Colin.

That is a good point that you mention.

I have, available for look-ups, the following books:

History of The Royal Scots 14-18

History of the 9th Division

History of the 52nd Lowland Division

War Diary of the 13th battalion, The Royal Scots, 1915-1918

SDGW The Royal Scots

DCM register to The Royal Scots

I have many other books and diarys to do with various battalions, it is probably best to PM or email me and ask!

All the best,

Tim

Dear Tim,

Noting your interest in, and knowledge of, The Royal Scots, can you provide any information whatsoever on the persons referred to in the extract(attached) which is contained in a note book owned by Miss Jessie Ritchie, a QAIMS nurse who served in Salonika where she died in August 1916 and where she is buried (Lembet Road).

Regards,

Jim

• 1 month later...
How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

Hi Tim

Just recently I have been pointed in the direction of trying to find out about my wifes grandfather who served in the 11 bn of the Royal Scots and survived. Very little is known about his service, he came from a small rural community in Fife and restricted his talk on the subject to private card nights with his four mates who all served. I do however have available a small number of photographs and his soldiers new testement ( apart from the outer cover it's like brand new and has his details inside ) that has a few prayer cards inside that were either sent to him or he collected, I don't know much about the Royal Scots or the battalions movements, I do know that he worked for the post office prior to enlisting or being called up and that he was employed as a runner or a dispatch rider possibly the latter as he had a passion for motor cycles after the war that he did not have previously. His name was James Morgan 40815 11th Royal Scots. Inside the new testement it has a stamp in red ink as follows: A.M' EVITT A.S.R. (below) 8, CAMP - can anyone tell me the the meaning of this?. photgraphs at the moment are difficult as my scanner is u/s. if you can help thanks.

TOM

Guest Royal Scot

Hello there,

I have an active interest in the 12th. Battalion, I am involved in a film project regarding a heroic member of the 12th. who was killed in action beside Captain Henry Reynolds VC MC on the very action that saw Reynolds win the VC.

My subject, Corporal. Robert Beveridge MM was in 'C' company, we are filming his life story, it is tragic but ultimately will have a happy ending when this brave section commander finally gets a memorial service on the 90th. anniversary of his death later this year. Rob Beveridge was never found, I am the proud owner of his Military Medal, a bravery award he never saw nor wore. Any information that you may have on the 12th. Service Battalion would be gratefully received especially 'C' company. I am pretty well informed but nobody knows everything.

40707. Corporal. Robert Beveridge MM. 12th.(S) Battalion, C-coy. The Royal Scots.

Killed in Action, Thursday September 20 1917. Near Frezenberg, Flanders.

To be remembered with pride at, St. Nicholas Church (Strathbrock) Uphall, West Lothian.

Thursday September 20 2007, all welcome for details please e-mail, drcharlessandbach@ntlworld.com

Charles.

How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

Thanks for your suggestion Tim. I'm interested in the 1st. Battalion and particularly their time spent in Salonika. Any info. on this would be of interest.

Regards,

Jim

• 3 months later...

Hi Tim,

excellent and very useful thread. I have just "discovered" that I had a great uncle serve with the 13th (A coy). Sgt Harry Urquhart, 15629. He was killed 22/08/17, He is on the Tyne Cot Memorial. I also have a photo of the Memorial in Kinnell Kirk yard. Not specifically RS, just a list of men, no ranks/units, if you are interested. I have another 3 names of 13th men who died on the same day. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated

Rgds

Ian Webb

Here's something for anyone interested in 16th Royal Scots.

I took the attached picture a while back - memorial on Kilsyth town bandstand. Two of those remembered are McCrae's.

25314 Private Robert Neil, died 1/7/1916 and is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial. He was a local and is also on the nearby Kilsyth war memorial.

20017 Private Thomas Adamson, A Coy, died 12/7/1916 (died of wounds?)and is buried Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. He was not local to Kilsyth and is not commemorated on Kilsyth war memorial. CWGC lists him as son of Thomas and Mary Adamson of Viewfield, Bathgate.

Apart from his being in the band, I don't know what his link to Kilsyth was.

post-446-1188604832.jpg

• 2 months later...
Like Colin I am not researching any particular Battalion.

I also have a short History of the 1/8th Battalion's service in France written for the local Newspaper shortly after the War.(Tim,already has a copy :D ).It gives a general overview of the Battalion's service so is not as detailed as the War Diaries.It does,however,list the names of the Men of the Battalion who received Honours, from V.C. to Mentioned in Dispatches.plus Foreign Honours e.g French and Belgium Croix de Guerre.

If anyone wants reprints of any photographs or a copy of the Booklet please e-mail me via the Forum.

George

Hello George, I have an interest in all Scottish WW1 units. If possible can you please email me a copy of the booklet that you are talking about. I also have several electronic WW1 battalion histories if you are interested let me know.

Thanks in advance Ed Robinson egrobinson@smartchat.net.au

Can anyone tell me anything about Private 7221 David Black of the 1st Royal Scots which were apparently part of 81st Brigade in the 27th Division. Around 1915/1916 he may well have been in D Company 21 Stationary Hospital 1st Battalion Salonika Force. Some months ago I made a similar enquiry but got the wrong Regiment Number. Stuart (PPCL1) has put me right.

Regards,

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim

I am researching the 9th Royal Scots. I seem to remember that you posted a photo of them embarking at Southampton in February 1915, but I cannot find the thread now. If you would be so kind as to post the photo again, I would be most grateful...

On the subject of photos, my search at the IWM's archive last week revealed just two photos (out of six million) of the 9th Royal Scots - one of them 'resting in a field, Leith 1914' (IWM Q 51870) and the other of them 'marching in wet weather, Amiens-Albert Road, September 1916 (IWM Q 4263). Can you suggest an alternative source - I am researching 1914-1916.

Many thanks.

I'd appreciate some help with 11th Royal Scots. Fusiliers please. One of the men I'm researching, Pte. 59349 William Girt, was killed in action 30th September, 1918. He was a Suffolk man, having previously served with 5th Suffolk's. Can anyone tell me what action this Bn. was involved in that day, SD-CD suggests 14 men of the Bn. were lost.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Pte Malcolm James, MM. 2nd Battalion, Royal Scots

d. 27th September 1917

I have recently discovered this relative and am wondering if anyone else has researched him.

I have a photo of Malcolm, another, presumably of his grave and a form from the Imperial War Graves Commission requesting information from his mother (that was obviously never completed).

I would also apppreciate learning where/what was happening to his battalion at the time, if anyone is familiar with the period.

Regards

Carolyn Tweedie

I have a group of WW1/WW2 medals to

Albert E. HARDING

who served as

WW1:

(1) 15837 Private 11th (Service) Essex Regiment

(2) Private, 2/4th or 2/9th Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)

(3) 353245 Private 2/10th (Cyclist) Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) T.F.

Arrived France 4th October 1915.

Discharged 23rd July 1919.

WW2:

(4) 1196629 Leading Aircraftman Royal Air Force

It is likely he was with the 2/10th Royal Scots during its time in North Russia 1918-19 but I have not been able to confirm this (no search for service documents has been made yet).

Medals:

1914-15 Star

British War Medal 1914-20

Victory Medal 1914-19

Defence Medal 1939-45 (RAF, named)

War Medal 1939-45 (RAF, named)

+

Ypres League certificate of membership (11th Essex Regiment, named)

Lewis Gun Championship medallion (Royal Scots 1917, named)

Any confirmation of service in North Russia c.1918-19 would be most interesting.

Mark

post-6757-1200750008.jpg

If anyone has any info that can help me trace the unit of my mother's cousin George William Senior who was a private in the Royal Scots I would be very grateful. His regimental number was 270611. All that I know is that he was reported to be a POW in 1918 and was honourably discharged in 1919.

Hello Forum members (especially those who are specilaists in the Royal Scots...)

On another thread I have been tracking down the awards of 2Lt JGG Fleming, DSO, MC. The response from the Forum on those matters has been extraordinary and I am most grateful.

However, I now want to delve into the period before he was commissioned. One of his medal cards indicates he enlisted (date unknown0 into 4 Royal Scots and went to the Balkans/Gallipoli. Other respondents have indicated he may have picked up two MID whilst there, which I suspect made him a candiddate for officer selection, given the high casualty rates. I have yet to get the medal cards for the MIDs from your Nat Archives, but if someone out there could look up or steer me in the right direction to answer the following questions:

Are his service records available or is it probable they were destroyed on the 1940 Blitz on London? I would like to know his origins and date of enlistment etc.

Can you cfm he was awarded two MID and in what actions in the Balkans/Gallipoli?

After commissioning, he was tfr to the Gordon Highlanders, I suspect in the smae Division (52nd Lowland)?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Black

Any other clues greatly appreciated.

If anyone has any info that can help me trace the unit of my mother's cousin George William Senior who was a private in the Royal Scots I would be very grateful. His regimental number was 270611. All that I know is that he was reported to be a POW in 1918 and was honourably discharged in 1919.

George Senior's number indicates he was in the 6th Royal Scots or 5/6th by the time he joined as they were amalgamated in 1916 when the 6th left Egypt for the Western front. George would appear to have joined 1917 onwards as he has only a 1917 TF number with nothing prior to that, He has two MIC's which both relate to general service medals. One lists him as George Senior , the other George W Senior

John

I'm searching all relevant information of the 11th and 12th RS (9th division) and 17th RS (35th Division), from 13 to 20 October 1918.

I would like to find out their contribution in the liberation of the vilages Salines, Steenbeek, Gulleghem, Winkel St Elois etc...

All information is welcome.

Regards,

Bart Seynaeve

George Senior's number indicates he was in the 6th Royal Scots or 5/6th by the time he joined as they were amalgamated in 1916 when the 6th left Egypt for the Western front. George would appear to have joined 1917 onwards as he has only a 1917 TF number with nothing prior to that, He has two MIC's which both relate to general service medals. One lists him as George Senior , the other George W Senior

John

John

Thanks very much for that. I had downloaded one MIC showing him as George W, but had failed to spot the second one. Now with the second one I know that he was awarded the Silver War medal as well as the Victory and British War medal. The second MIC states that he enlisted on 1-9-16 which is earlier than you indicated. My mother had his discharge certificate stating that he was disabled and honourably discharged but sadly there is no trace of his medals. I remember him from my childhood as a kindly soul, missing a finger which he lost in the war, and as sadly one of the many shell shock casualties. he spent most of his later life post WWII in High Royds mental hospital at Menston.

It looks as if I will have to sign up with Ancestry in the hope of more information relating to "Uncle Willie". I have posted an image of the MICS here http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/bof/gwSeniormics.jpg

Thank you again

Now for Ewing, and maybe a trip to explore war diaries

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

New member here to this great site. I have been doing a lot of research on my grandfather, James McGimpsey, and have his details listed here http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ww1_soldiers_database.htm if you scroll down the page a bit you will find his name and photo.

I was wondering if any of you know any details of his regt, 9th Royal Scots, Lothian Regt. I have three photos of him in uniform, two of which are in a kilt. Does anyone have more photos of this particular Regt ? I would dearly love to see them and perhaps see if my grandfather is there.

Incase the above link does'nt work :

Name : James Mcgimpsey

Regiment : 9th Royal Scots ( Lothian Regt.) Service Numbers : 351053 and 3464

Birth details : Born 5th march 1986, Bullycullen, Northern Ireland.

Killed In Action, 23 rd April 1917, age 21. Arras, France, age 21.

Memorial ref : bay 1 - 2 Arras Memorial.