Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auction of a roll of honour Barnsley

John W

Andrew, Good Evening. Got to you via the simple expedient of typing in "Barnsley" to the search engine. I was fascinated by your description of how your chum saved the Memorial and your descripton of his interest and research into the men of Barnsley in the Great War.

I am trying to research my Grandfather, Reginald Hutchinson Sutch. Rflory has been very helpful in both confirming what detail that I had and providing some new. The sum of what I have is this. Before the war he was a member of the Barnsley Rugby Football Club. I believe that, after the war at least, he worked in banking for Barclays, probably before as well. In 1916-1917 he served as 1525 L/Cpl York & Lancs Regiment. Commissioned as a 2nd Lieut., RFA SR on 10 Oct 1917. Promoted to Lieut, RFA SR on 1 Apr 1919.

Relinquished his commission on 1 April 1920 and granted the rank of Lieutenant. From 1919-1920 he was the Honourary Secretary of the Barnsley Rugby Football Club and lived at 48 Derby Street Barnsley. On 15 March 1943 he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant, Army Cadet Force, York (N. Riding) Territorial Association Reserve of Officers (Army No. 280287). He relinquished his commission in the Army Cadet Force on 1 October 1946. Because he served during World War II his papers are not yet available at the National Archives.

The question, you have seen it coming haven't you, is: would you be kind enough, please, to ask your chum if he has any information pertaining to my Granddad and his service? Which unit, where he was atttested, where he trained, who he was with, whether he saw any action and where? All these things are a completely closed book to me. A pretty low Army Number, was he a member of the Barnsley Pals Battalion?

We are not a particularly long-living tribe and none of my Kids or my Nephews or Nieces ever saw their Grandparents, never mind my Grandparents. I can only recall a couple of conversations (and a visit to watch Scarborough play football) with him. What I am seeking to do is to produce a monograph about family ancestors, particularly military service, for the next generation so they know who they are and where they are from.

Grateful for any help at all, a photograph would be fabulous as we have none at all

Regards Adam

• 11 years later...

It is July 2017 and I was idly Googling when I found this thread. I was thrilled! The Barnsley War Memorials Project, formed in early 2014, have been searching for this and other 'lost' Barnsley war memorials in order to record and research them. If anyone sees this message please could the ask the person who has this memorial to get in touch with the BWMP at bwmp2015@gmail.com Their website is http://www.barnsleywarmemorials.org.uk/2014/08/about-this-project.html

• 1 month later...

Great news! Following an appeal in the local newspaper, the Barnsley Chronicle, the memorial has been found and photographed. See attached newspaper cutting. I am looking forward to seeing a full transcription of the names on the Barnsley War Memorials Website (http://www.barnsleywarmemorials.org.uk/) where the appeal was launched following our discovery of your thread on the topic.

Very happy!

59bbbf110db67_DJwaLTCXcAAptmx.jpglarge.jpg.4e1fbaa24380004e29e8a26068c8ff16.jpg