Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Derbyshire Lads 1914-1918

Andrew Hesketh

I recently moved ISP's and a couple of days ago my site went offline. Well it's now back but with a new address. However I'm taking the opportunity of redesigning the whole thing so at present there are many gaps and inconsistencies. If you are one of the pals who pops in every now and again please bear with me. (A big thanks to the couple of you who actually noticed it had gone!!) The Sherwood Foresters section is getting the most of the adaptation and will take another week or two to reappear. I'll re-post when it's all back to normal.

If the link in my signature doesn't work, the full address is:

http://www.derbyshirelads.uwclub.net

Andrew,

looks good already!!

If i can help you at all give me a shout!!

Richard - thanks.

Anthony - you already have mate (though I've still not made full use of all the DCM stuff you kindly sent me).

Well, everything that was there is now back again, so I can turn my attention to development (after a short tea break of course).

For those with no obvious interest in Derbyshire or the Sherwood Foresters, there is still the Officer's Training Manual which you may find of interest. Go to the Sherwood Foresters section, then War & Warfare to find it.

Major new addition (thanks to pal Tony Neal): The Diary of Private Sidney Dore, number 3895, 14th Section, 8th Platoon, B Company, 1/7th Notts & Derby (Sherwood Foresters), January-July 1916.

Andrew ,

I have some photos of some of your lads I wish to send. Please send me an email address to use.

Roop

Excellent! Thanks very much - I've PM'd my e-mail address to you.

Andrew

Speaking of Sherwoods websites, is Mike Briggs still around? Can't find his site anymore (and I had a link to it)

john

Andrew,

I have just had a nosey at your site and the info is great,

well done,

Mandy

Andrew,

The site looks good, thank for posting this.

Andy

Public thanks to Rupert (KONDOA) for the pictures. Much appreciated. :D

If anyone else has anything Forester or Derbyshire I would be moooost grateful for it!! :P

Andrew,

i have some more if you want copies of them??

Anthony - yes, please!

KONDOA - I've pieced together Elijah Garrett's story. I'd be pleased if you'd read it and see if it tallies with what you may have discovered. It took me a while to make sense of the fact that he was recorded as 2/5th in SDGW. CWGC place him in the 1st, and the MIC details and his date of death pretty much confirm it. You'll find a link in the 'Updates' box on the home page. I've also linked him up with the Brimington war memorial and 1st Battalion pages. Thanks again for the photo's.

Andrew,

Pm me your address and i will post them to you.

My scanner is rubbish and it doesn't even scan properly!!

If you need any memorials photographing in Derbyshire just let me know.

If you need any memorials photographing in Derbyshire just let me know.

Oooh you mad fool - you may regret that offer!!! :P You're Mansfield way right? What sort of places are within easy reach for you that I haven't already got?

I'll PM my e-mail.

Oooh you mad fool - you may regret that offer!!!  You're Mansfield way right? What sort of places are within easy reach for you that I haven't already got?

:lol:

Andrew,

Seriously mate, give me a list of what you need and i will let you know!Mansfield is correct, just on the border with Derbyshire so anywhere is well within my reach!!

Oh and i will also take photos of graves if there are any you want that way!!

Also going to Ieper in September too, if any that way i would be more than happy!!! :ph34r:

Anthony - thanks for the e-mailed photographs. What can I say about your offer above? It is incredibly generous of you. I will be in touch privately.

P.S. This was my 1,000 post. Do I win anything? B)

NEW ADDITION: Ireland 1916 - full, and annotated, casualty list (inc. wounded) of the 2nd Notts & Derby Brigade (2/5th. 2/6th, 2/7th & 2/8th Sherwood Foresters) during the Republican Easter Rising.

Hi Andrew,

I have some photos of my grandfather who was in the 1/6th Notts and Derby that I can email to you if interested ?

Dave B.

Hi Andrew,

Have tried to email you the photos but it bounced , pm me or use my email .

Cheers ,

Dave B.

Andrew

Just had a nose at your excellant website. If I come across info that may be of use to you do I post it here or email you?

I also had a look at some of the war memorial sites where not all the men's have been detailed if I could add information I assume it would be best to contact thre relavent webmaster

Congratulations

Hambo