Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John A Banham Air Mech. RFC

I am looking for info on a relative who died at the very end of WW1 - probably of pneumonia/flu in a hospital in France. His name is not to be found on the CWGC site.

His widow had the black-edged letter/telegram informing her of his death & I have actually seen it but that was nearly 30 years ago & I can't remember the details. Her belongings all disappeared after she died.

His name appears on two war memorials in both Shildon & New Shildon, Co Durham.

I have obtained his name & original (Army?)serial number the from Public Records Office when the RFC transferred its members to the RAF in 1918 - John Anthony Banham 1332508.

The problem is that his serial number then changed to an RAF number, I believe, of 6 digits but I don't know how to continue from this point.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Carlwest

His name according to the CWGC was JOHN APPLEGARTH BANXAM

Air Mechanic 1st Class, 47729, 1st Aero Supply Depot, Royal Air Force, who died on Wednesday 23 October 1918 . Age 27. Husband of Margaret Banham, of 12, Mill St., New Shildon, Co. Durham. Native of New Shildon.

ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN Seine-Maritime, France

Grave Number: S. II. E. 13.

This looks like a transcription error so it may be worth contacting the CWGC to get it corrected.

Regards.

Andy.

:)

I am astounded. It was such a short time before that I posted my request & here's everything I wanted.

I only had the name John A Banham & that was the request I sent to the PRO. There was only one John A Banham on their list so I took this to be correct.

All the details you have given are so clearly correct - husband of Margaret (great Aunt Meggie).

So, we'll be off to France again soon.

I cannot thank you enough.

Carlwest