stiletto_33853

Available for look ups.

Andy

Matt,

it was a pleasure, enjoy the reading.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Annie,

You would ned to see the Medal Rolls to determine what Battalion he was in, these are held in Kew at the Archives. I will be at Kew again probably sometime next week so I will check them for you to see which Battalion he was in.

Andy

Hi Annie,

You would ned to see the Medal Rolls to determine what Battalion he was in, these are held in Kew at the Archives. I will be at Kew again probably sometime next week so I will check them for you to see which Battalion he was in.

Andy

Andy!

How nice of you - thank you very much!!

will that same medal roll show King and Queens medals or is that something different?

Annie

Hi Annie,

The Kings and Queens South Africa Medal is on another roll entirely.

Andy

Hi Annie,

No problem. Had to put Kew off this week for work but will be there next week.

Andy

Annie,

Finally managed to get up to Kew today and pulled your Grandfathers medal roll for you. He was in the 10th Battalion of The Rifle Brigade.

10th Battalion was a service battalion formed at Winchester in September 1914 and was in the 59th Brigade of the 20th Division. According to his MIC he entered France on the 21/7/15 which was the date the 10th landed in France.

Andy

Annie,

If you look at his MIC you will find List M/1010 which means he was entitled to a Silver War Badge. Pulled this list also for you which gave me the following information: He enlisted on the 8/9/14 and was discharged on 12/4/18. His age on discharge was 47 years and 364 days old. He was issued Badge number 414,917 and was discharged under A.O.II. Paragraph II BI of 10/8/17.

Not entirely positive what this Army Order entails but I am sure that someone on the forum will know.

If you would care to e mail or pm me your adress I will post these rolls of to you this weekend.

Hope this all helps.

Andy

Annie,

If you look at his MIC you will find List M/1010 which means he was entitled to a Silver Wound Badge. Pulled this list also for you which gave me the following information: He enlisted on the 8/9/14 and was discharged on 12/4/18. His age on discharge was 47 years and 364 days old. He was issued Badge number 414,917 and was discharged under A.O.II. Paragraph II BI of 10/8/17.

Not entirely positive what this Army Order entails but I am sure that someone on the forum will know.

If you would care to e mail or pm me your adress I will post these rolls of to you this weekend.

Hope this all helps.

Andy

Andy!

I am sitting here gazing at the screen - enthralled! - thank you so much!

How wonderful! - I know from stories from my father - that Grandad did not want to be discharged - the army was his life! 1 day short of 48 years old .....wow!

I'll send you my address Andy - thanks again!

Annie

Annie,

You are more than welcome, glad to be able to help you with your grandfather.

Andy

Annie,

The war record for the 10th e mailed to you. The 1915 war record comes from the 1918 Rifle Brigade Chronicles and the 1916, 1917 & 1918 war record comes from the 1920 Chronicle.

Andy

Annie,

The war record for the 10th e mailed to you. The 1915 war record comes from the 1918 Rifle Brigade Chronicles and the 1916, 1917 & 1918 war record comes from the 1920 Chronicle.

Andy

Boy ! I can't believe all the resources I'm finding out about!

I've never heard of Chronicles - who wrote those?

just whoever was available - like the diaries? with bits of pencil ?

Annie

Annie,

The Chronicles were written by officers of the Rifle Brigade and are journals of the Regiments activities, sports, promotions, battles, weapons, battalion postings etc etc. They are an invaluable resource and ran from 1890 to 1965. The regiment was then amalgamated with other Light Infantry Regiments such as The Kings Royal Rifle Corps to become The Royal Green Jackets. The Chronicles then become the Royal Green Jackets Chronicles and continued from 1966 to the present.

Andy

• 5 months later...

Thread being closed down for look ups.

Andy