Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German siege guns at Nueve Chapelle?

paul guthrie

In There's A Devil In The Drum J T Lucy says on 23 10 14 at Nueve Chapelle they were using the guns they had used on the Belgian forts on infantry. He wrote this book 24 years or so later and as Terry Cave states in the introduction to the 1992 edition his memory was incorrect in some respects, his account though does sound convincing.

Is he correct?

My doubts are increased since no one yet has provided any support for this. It seems it would have been quite a waste to use them this way considering the manpower effort and use of transportaion it would have taken plus the limited amount of times they could be fired.

Hello,

I don't think it's impossible. The Germans used some of their heavy Mörser near Ypres too. It is however not so easy to find evidence for this. One has to read all regimental histories and hope someone mentions the presence of these guns.

I will have a look if I can find something.

Greetings,

Jan

Hello,

I did find something in the memoirs of Kronprinz Rupprecht von Bayern (6. Armee) about his army getting siege guns. He doesn't mention the guns being used to support the attack on Neuve Chapelle though...

Greetings,

Jan

Thanks Jan, whether or not they were used at that particluar place and day was not the important question which you have answered, that is they were used against infantry, not just forts, other important fortifications.