Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister K Simmonds

Patrickneame

I spotted Sister K Simmonds' name on the war memorial at Madeley, near what is now Telford in Shropshire. Does anyone have any information about her? She doesn't seem to be mentioned on the CWGC site.

The war memorial may commemorate all those from the area that went to war and not necessarily those that died. The wording on the memorial should tell. Her name is certainly not one that I have seen before. The only ones near to it are Annie Simmons, WRAF (from Cambridge) and Charlotte Mary Kathleen Simmons, QMAAC (from Redhill, Surrey). If the memorial is to the dead I can only assume that she was a civilian nurse engaged in the war effort.

The Memorial indicates RCS for Red Cross Society after her name.

• 15 years later...

I know this is an old post- if anyone is still watching...

Simmonds is my grandmother's family name, her family were from Shrewsbury, there are a number of other families in the area- I have no idea who this lady was but I'm going to try and follow her up and see if she is related- my grandmother and her six sisters were all nurses several of them during the war but working in asylums in England. 

She was probably Kathleen Simmonds, of Hilltop, Madeley, Shropshire. Registration number 4850, year of Registration 1917, trained at St Georges Hospital, London, certified(?) 1915.

She died of illness on 29 December 1918, and is buried in Madeley (St Michael) Churchyard.

Martin

Edited by tootrock
Extra information added

Since my post in 2005 I have found and researched this woman. Kathleen Adele Simmonds was a governess. She is believed to have been nursing at St. George’s Hospital from 1912 to 1916 then at Tower Auxiliary Hospital, Rainhill. In September 1917 she was at Waverley Abbey Military Hospital, Farnham. The following month she was taken ill with an absess under her arm. This worsened and she was admitted to the Red Cross Hospital, Winchester where she died. She appears to be buried with her grand mother or, at least, remembered on her headstone. It is inscribed “In ever loving memory of dear mother Ann Curzon who entered into rest November 30th 1914 aged 81 years. Also of out darling Kathleen , grand daughter of the above who died at Winchester Military Hospital December 29th 1918 aged 29 years.