Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hospital Picture

Roy Evans

Looking through some family photos I think I've found a personal gem in this one.

The caption reads "The Crescent War Hospital. Ward 10A. Sept 20th 1917"

This must have been where my Grandfather was before being discharged in December 1917. Does anyone know where it was?

post-336-1122826612.jpg

It might not be the same one but you could look at

http://www.croydon.gov.uk/councilanddemocr...rts/issue62.pdf

and scoll down to p13

Thanks for the link, I've had a good look but that one seems a rather larger building altogether, interesting just the same.

Roy

The ward shown in the photo must be part of a large institution. Firstly it's ward 10A, which means there must be a minimum of nine other wards, and in addition I can count five members of QAIMNS/Territorial Force Nursing Service. Even if they all came from other wards to be in the picture, a total of five for a war hospital is a lot, and would suggest a unit of at least 300 beds. As the caption on the link page names it as 'Crescent War Hospital' I would think that it's the right place.

Sue

Yes, on closer inspection I have to admit that you may both be right. In mitigation, my last posting was based on a snatched session on the forum and I obviously did not do the Croydon site justice. My thanks to both of you.

Whilst we do not have a guarantee that this is the place in the photo, on the balance of probability I am now inclined to believe that it is.

Roy

As one who has spent 30+ years plodding various NHS wards I agree with Sue. Its a large solid well built ward, brick wall, parquet floor (look at the zig zag pattern) high ceiling and large windows so not a temporary hutted hospital or converted large mansion. Many large mental hospitals were emptied of as many inmates as possible and converted into military use. It has that sort of look about it.Does that fit in with the history of the Crescent Hoapital ?? SG

Hi Roy, I had a look in Croydon library and found some more picture's which would seem to imply that this is the hospital in your picture.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

We've just got back from our hol's and I've only now seen your picture. Yes it must surely be one and the same hospital which my GF was in.

Belated thanks to yourself and SG for your replies.

Roy