Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

regiment

30mmavenger

Hello all. Okay, My grandad and his twin brother David and Thomas Evans both served in ww1, My Grandad David was posted to ireland and his brother Thomas somewhere in France? Thomas was awarded a medal i think the D.S.O, my problem is i was told they served with the K.S.L.I there home county regiment, but i have found a medal record for Thomas Evans which states he was in the Worce reg, I have tried to look to see if the two regiments merged but i am totally confused by all the battallions etc, Could anyone help me, did the K.S.L.I go to ireland and France, or was it the worce regiment. I am sorry if i have confused you all too. Best Wishes , Dawn

Dawn

I'm sure you are going to get lots of helpful answers here, but have you first looked at the mother website? Go there (there's a link at the top of the page above this message) and click on Tommies. Then click on Infantry. You will find links to the KSLI and Worcesters (and every other regiment in the army).

You will see an easy to read analysis that will tell you where they all served, and when.

Also, on the homepage, click on Terms and Definitions. If you go through some of that, you won't be so confused about battalions and all that technical stuff!

Good luck.

Hi Dawn

The K.S.L.I. had several battalions, their 3rd Battalion went to Ireland in late 1917. The 1st, 2nd, 1/4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 10th all severed in France/Flanders at one time or another.

Was Thomas an Officer, as only officers got the D.S.O. (I think), or may it have been the D.C.M., anyway there is no T. Evans recorded in the K.S.L.I. Regtimental History who won either. He may have been in the K.S.L.I. and tranfared to the Worcs. ?

I have a database with overs 14,000 names of K.S.L.I. men in it, this is about half of those who served in the Regt., I will look and see if I can find any David or Thomas Evans, if you can give me more info. on them, like their home town, this may help pin-point them if there are several by this name.

Regards

Annette

There are no T Evans's listed has having won the DCM in either regiment. No doubt somebody will have the DSO list.

Terry Reeves

The only DSOs (awarded to officers only) are:

Evans T C C - Australian Army Medical Corps

Evans The Rev T H W - Chaplain to the Forces

Evans T R - Royal WelsFusiers attached t0 1st/6th North Staffordshires and killed in action on 3 Oct 18

Charles M

Thankyou to you all for replying to my question, I am very gratefull to you, With Best Wishes, Dawn.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hello Dawn,

I was looking at the Evans MIC microfiche yesterday and had a note of your request. Unfortunately I couldn't ID either man, but there were no T or D Evans in either of the units you specify recorded on the MIC as having won the DSO.

Ian :)

Dawn,

Although this could be a b**ger with a common name like Evans, you could try the London Gazette Online. The link is on the links page (obviously, I suppose!).

Also (please forgive the morbidity of this question), did either man die? Bizarrely, researching a dead soldier is easier than researching a survivor.

All the best,

Andrew

Hello Andrew, Thankyou for your advice, i tried the gazeteer but the only possible Thomas E Evans i found served with the Worce regiment and a very kind lady named Annette has checked for me and he was not my gr uncle, Also my family were very lucky and did not lose anyone in ww1 we did not fare so well in ww2 though, I am amazed at how helpfull you all are on here and very grateful to you all, With Best Wishes, Dawn.