Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good Conduct Stripes

Guest Hill 60

Hello Lee,

check the same site I mentioned about Overseas Service Chevrons http://au.geocities.com/fortysecondbattali...s-standards.htm:

"Army Order No.204 Headquarters, 1st A.N.Z.A.C., 9th August, 1916.

DISTINCTIONS FOR OFFICERS AND SOLDIERS WHO HAVE BEEN WOUNDED

The following distinction in dress will be worn on the service dress jacket by all officers and soldiers who have been wounded in any of the campaigns since 4th August 1914 :-

Stripes of gold Russia braid No.1, two inches in length sewn perpendicularly on the left forearm sleeve of the jacket to mark each occasion on which wounded.

In the case of officers, the lower end of the first strip of gold braid will be immediately above the upper point of the flap on the cuff. Warrant officers, non-commissioned officers and men will wear the gold braid on the left forearm sleeve, the lower edge of the braid to be three inches from the bottom of the sleeve. Subsequent occasions on which wounded, will be placed on either side of the original one at half inch interval.

Gold braid and sews will be obtained free on indent from the Army Ordnance Department; the sewing on will be carried out regimentally without expense to the public. "

Greetings,

Jan

Jan - Thanks for that. I must be going blind in my old age (or is it the amount of anti-freeze I've been drinking over the last few years?) as I totally missed them on the site!!

Cheers - Lee

Jan - Just re-read your post and noted that it refers to the Wound Stripe. I am after the Good Conduct Stripes which were 'upside-down' chevrons, larger than rank stripes for L/Cpls, Cpls & Sgts etc.

I'll have a look at the site again and see if I can spot the bit about these stripes.

Cheers - Lee

Hello Lee,

I'm terribly sorry. I didn't pay enough attention. According to what I found till now, these stripes were awarded before WW1: "The length of service of a soldier is marked by good conduct stripes, three, seven and twelve years."

Perhaps someone else can give more info about this?

Greetings,

Jan

:D Jan - No probolem. I did find a little on the stripes on the website you gave me.

If anyone else has any info on these stripes I'd like to hear it.

Cheers - Lee B)

Lee

The system of Good Conduct Stripes in use in the British Army during the First World War was instituted in 1881.

The chevrons were awarded as follows:

1 chevron = 2 years good conduct, 2 = 6 yrs, 3 = 12 yrs, 4 = 18 yrs

5 = 23yrs, 6 = 28yrs.

Mike_H

Mike - Thanks for that.

I've got a photo/postcard of a very youthful looking soldier with 2 of these chevrons.

I think the picture must have been taken after April 1917 as he is wearing the 1914 Star ribbon. His other ribbons appear to be the VC and the MM. He has 4 Overseas Service Chevrons, the 2 Good Conduct Chevrons, 4 Wound Stripes and what I think is the 29th Division badge on his right arm. Should be a good little research project!

Cheers - Lee

It was my understanding from veterans that during the war GC stripes could be given out as rewards for good service or bravery, which would not normally result in the award of a medal. Thus you could get them for specific acts, rather than have to wait for the specific period of good service as you would pre-war.

:blink: Paul - Oh thank you Mate! Just as I thought there was a simple answer you throw that one into the pot!!!

Do you know if there were any records kept of these awards, would Battalion histories show anything?

Cheers - Lee

Only in Part II orders, which were once part of the war diaries. However, all these were "weeded" by MOD in the 1960s.

The only diary I know that still has them is 1st RWF. For some reason they slipped through the net.